Has anyone bagged one yet?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by dman24, Sep 22, 2010.

1. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

Has any one bagged a whitetail yet. I went hunting last Friday, didn't even see one. My grandpa said we were going after antlers and little ones, but I was gonna get what ever I saw. I like the little ones, they are better eating I believe. But as the saying goes "if it's brown, it's down."
  2. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

My fault on the double post. I was trying to fix the title and accidently messed up.
  3. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

Its not opened here yet. It opens at the end of this month. I don't know the exact date. Because I don't bow hunt. I'm waiting for Muzzle Loader on Nov. 6. Its been hot here lately and I pity anybody deer huntin' if it don't cool down. Hows the temp in NC?
  4. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

We had some cool weather last week or the week before. I think it got down to the 60's at night It's to hot to hunt right now, back up to the 90's. What part of TN are you in, I got family in Sneadville and murfreesboro.
  5. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

This one I got with a crop damage permit, the black thing on it's butt is my cell phone case. It want down at 120 yards or so with a 203 gr Barnul soft point.

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      686.8 KB
      Views:
  6. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

I live in Moss, thats in Clay County. Right on the Ky./Tn. border.
  7. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

Our bow season started last saturday. I've had a few close calls but none have gotten stuck with an arrow yet. I haven't seen any bucks yet though. Lately its been quite cold. Low 40's during the night and high 50's during the day, that should get the deer moving.
  8. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

Rifle doesn't start till early October here. I have not the patience or skill for bow.
  9. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

Glad to see the mosin there 338rum. I am planning on carrying mine when gun season starts.
  10. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

I've not seen a lot of good deer around here. Its been kinda hot and maybe they're not noving much during daylight. The last 2 good deer i saw were at night. Saw both while driving. One was a 8 point the other one looked like a 7 point. Both had 17" to 18" spreads and had good points. Now if I could just see anything in daylight.
  11. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

Going out in the morning with the muzzleloader. Going down to where Grandma's house is and sit in the cellar steps and wait on one to cross the field by the apple trees, gives about a 30 yard shot. First one that crosses without spots goes in the freezer. I may not play fair, but the freezer gets full!
  12. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

I can't help it, sitting at the truck overlooking the alfalfa fields is not sporting... So I still hunt the deer even if I have crop damage permits, and the Mosin makes it even more of a challenge cause there isn't a 14 power scope on it. Besides that gun shoots about 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards plenty good for what I use it for.
  13. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

Deer will make a liar out of you everytime

Woke up an hour later than I wanted, but I got up at about 7 this morning, didn't set the alarm clock. After all it is Saturday, but I got up and got dressed in my best hunting outfit, you know jean shorts and a t shirt with tennis shoes. Took the T\C Firehawk down to Grandmas, was down there by 7:15 and sat on the steps to the Smokehouse rather than the cellar steps. I'd sat there for roughly and hour and a half watching 2 gray squirrels laying between an ash tree, 2 walnut trees, and the apple trees. Those are some fun critters to watch by the way. Anyway back to the deer, rather than coming out where I figured they would they came out, they came out further up in the field by about 40 yards. So when the first doe came across she stopped perfectly broadside at about 70 yards. Well when the smoke all cleared and I could see what was going on she was running faster than Schneider's hound, and I thought I'd missed. So I started back up to the house checking the edge of the field where she went in at and found blood, life is good. Tracked her up the hill to where she slid back down and looks like I made good shot placement because she's going in the freezer today. Load was 80gr of Pyrodex T\C Hunter bullet, and a CCI No.11 cap.

Attached Files:

14. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

Good shot mouser! That gives me visions of grinding sausage in the not to distant future... I need to get the old CVA Hawkin replica out and make sure the nipple is good and open...
  15. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

Good job Mouser. Makes me want to get my smokepole out.
  16. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

Looks like a nice doe there Mauser. Yesterday after noon my cousin came over to shoot his new bow. We were standing by the truck talking when all of a sudden 12 deer came out by the pond. We decided to try to stalk them. We got to within about 50 yards when they ran, I thought it was to far to shoot and we didn't have a clear lane. I saw one with a nice rack running away, apparently he was behind the dam, looked like he was about 18 inches wide.
  17. CopperniX

CopperniX 34th Infantry Div.

well opening aint for awhile here hopefully when it comes about ill be able to stock the freezer with some meet.
  18. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

Got the doe all cut and wrapped and in the freezer. Had backstraps last night for supper really tender too. Regular bow season come in on the 16th, gonna go throw a stand up in the ash tree at the corner of the field and see if I can stick one.
  19. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

I am going out tomorrow tuesday and wednesday and try to stick a meat bag I really need some jerky...
  20. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

Well I got 35 pounds of meat off of this guy Wednesday at about 9:30 AM and am thinking I am making hamburger instead of jerky, he ain't much to brag about but ya can't eat the horns right?

Attached Files: