Hearing Protection question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Krazycheetah, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Krazycheetah

Krazycheetah G&G Newbie

Wasn't real sure which forum to put this in so I figured I would try it out here. I take my 3 children with me shooting and one thing that concerns me is protecting there ears from the noise, some of our firearms aren't too loud others like my Mosins have a bit of a bark to them, I have seen alot of ear muffs on the market and alot of earplugs too. What I am wondering is are there any that you guys and gals have had good results with, or ones that are better than others you have tried. I'm already half deaf according to my wife so I am trying to protect the kids hearing and whats left of mine. Anyway I was looking all over the web and thought "Why not ask on G&G? I usually get good info there." So let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
    Dave
  2. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I like the `EAR` brand of soft ear plugs (which aren`t TOO soft and can hold their shape for a bit) which are shaped like a yellow cylinder. I roll these up like a golf tee and insert them into the ear trying to get in as much as I can for as good a seal as I can get (pulling a little on the top of the ear to help). If kept slightly cool they will hold ther shape then expand and give a very good hearing seal. For me this is usually good enough; but for alot of indoor stuff with louder guns and especially with kids I would put the mickey mouse ear muffs over them for double hearing protection (especially since the mickey mouses don`t always seal completely when you are wearing your eye protection). If you do this, almost any set of external ear muffs--even low cost ones-- will work well and you can still hear voice stuff fine without raising your voice too much.
  3. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Enthusiast

kids won't wear ear plugs or lose them or drop them and try to put them with dirt all over them.
    the foam ones are impossible to keep in.
    the muffs work the best for kids,let them make them thiers with stickers, or some paint.
    we even had a pair for a dog that was gunshy,and it calmed her down enough that she would lay behind the firing line and just chill out.
    the muffs will help tame recoil too by blocking out the blam and sudden noise of the shot.
    they are hard for some to wear when shooting a rifle, that's when you put thier plugs in.
    decent ones are about 5 bucks and have a little case.
    if you can get them to wear both thats the best because sound is transmitted through the bones around the ears too.
  4. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Decibel

Krazycheetah: Sir, like "TXplt" I use the "Ear" foam for all. With the big boomers, we keep the folks that can still hear behind the lines

I commend you:) for wanting to continue protecting the little ones.
  5. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Good call. It will also reinforce good habbits for them down the road. You can't beat double ear protection when you can. The "foamies" plugs are a toss up, they may work great or may be a hassle, would have to try. I used to put muffs on the kids. when my son was 4, I took him to an Alan Jackson concert and had him wear them then. Concerts can get pretty loud. He still rocked the jukebox :)
  6. Jay

Jay Old man, no tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

I use Peltor, and Howard Leight electronic headsets. They have worked well for me for many years. They allow for comfortable conversation, and instantly block any sounds over 85 db. They have automatic shut-off is the kids forget to turn 'em off, and use only a couple of AA, or AAA .batteries.

For information... the "in-ear" plugs will do nothing to prevent damaging sound impulses from traveling to the inner ear through the mastoid process... the large bone mass just behind your ears. That boney mass is second only to your ear canal in transmission of sound. Muffs will cover most of that bone.
  7. Rambo

Rambo Your worst nightmare Forum Contributor

Muffs. Easy to put on and take off. I always use them for target shooting. Rabbit hunting three years ago cost me some hearing though. The last shot with my .410 started tinitis in my left ear. It will go away when I take my final breath.
  8. JetGirl

JetGirl G&G Enthusiast

Yeah... if the KIDS forget to turn them off. [​IMG]
  9. Krazycheetah

Krazycheetah G&G Newbie

Thanks for all the replies, that's why I love this site. Good info fast.
  10. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    plugs and muffs

use em both
    and you wont be out 600 bucks when the cool electronic muffs get lost or broken.
  11. Jay

12. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I use Peltor electronic muffs with the speakers. Mine where like $60 and they work great.

If I am doing a lot of shooting I will double up with the Surefire Sonic defender plugs or whatever they are called.

They work great. There is nothing wrong with normal non electronic muffs though.

Like said before, usually its hard to get kids to wear plugs, either they don't like how they feel or their ears are not big enough.

Whichever way works though, protect their hearing! Once it's gone you wont get it back.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  13. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I like to use plugs under electronic muffs. I double up when target shooting indoor or out. I catch chit from my hunting buddies for wearing earplugs while hunting....let them chide...I like my hearing....that is what is left of it.
  14. billy

15. Jay

Keep workin' at it, Billy. You'll get there eventually.... maybe :dunno:
  16. JetGirl

JetGirl G&G Enthusiast

17. billy

i paid 80 bones for my peltors.
    real nice muffs
    and a kid could/would break them pretty quickly
  18. billy

19. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

I've owned many sets of muffs over the years and the cheap ones that Harbor Freight carries are by far the quietest of them all. For $3.00\ea. you can buy a boatload for the same price as one "good" set. I'm serious, these things are comfortable and really quiet-the numbers don 't do these justice.
    Industrial Ear Muffs
  20. Jay

Given the opportunity, kids can break pretty much anything.

Oh, and yer holdin' back on us Billy. Nobody but you knew you we were talkin' about three pair of muffs. :D :usa2: