HELP - can I buy handgun out-of-state

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by michigannewbie, Feb 10, 2008.

1. michigannewbie

michigannewbie G&G Newbie

Here's the situation. I am a legal resident/citizen of Texas but I go to school in Michigan. I would like to purchase a handgun, but Michigan has a requirement that you obtain a License to Purchase first. Ohio does not have such a requirement.

My question is this: can I go to Ohio and buy the gun, then come back here and register it? Thanks in advance!
  2. BloodRedStratus

BloodRedStratus G&G Newbie

It all depends on the State, but since I live in Ohio, I can help a little here. You must be an Ohio resident purchase the hand gun at a dealer in Ohio and take it home with you then and there. Private sales to out of state buyers are illegal unless going through an FFL (most dealers at a gun store). If you come to Ohio and purchase the gun through a dealer, you will not be able to walk out the door with the gun. They will have to ship it to a FFL in Michigan. The both the dealer in Ohio and the FFL in Michigan will run the back ground checks on you. The FFL in Michigan will more than likely charge you a rate for the back ground check and this will also do any registrations if needed in Michigan. There are no gun registrations in Ohio. So first go find a dealer (FFL) in Michigan that would be willing to accept the gun when it is shipped from the Ohio dealer and do everything on there end in Michigan. They will give you there FFL license number and/or copy of certificate. You will give this to the dealer in Ohio and then they can ship it.

Now the other thing that may come into play is that you are a resident of Texas, not Michigan. You will need to check the laws in Michigan to see if you can legally purchase that gun in Michigan. So my suggestion first is to head down to your local gun store or FFL person and talk to them. They should know the laws in Michigan enough to see if you can even do this in Michigan since you are not a legal resident of Michigan.
  3. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

probably not

as a georgia resident i can buy in certain states and cant in others

if your state and the state you want to buy from are buddy buddy then maybe

if you go to school though what use is a handgun going to do you, you cant carry on campus (or can you). i guess if you live outa the dorms

the best way i found out is when i go to wal-mart they have a little map showing all the states outlined showing where you can buy from etc. surprisingly helpful
  4. two-70

two-70 G&G Newbie

no all handguns have to be purchased in the state you reside in less you buy it from and individual out of state