Help identifying a Mauser Model 98... with pics!

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by eclipsdecd3, Dec 30, 2009.

1. eclipsdecd3

eclipsdecd3 G&G Newbie

Hello, do any of you have some ideas on this gun's story? I received it when my German born step-father died; unfortunately his death was quite sudden and I didn't get a chance to learn about the gun's significance. I hope that it is older than the stock indicates... probably was converted for sport a while back? Some of the identifying stamps have worn off a little, but I think the stamp on top of the muzzle reads BNZ, while the stamp on the bottom near the trigger is BYL or BYF. To the left of the BNZ the serial number of 6371 is stamped, and the same number appears on the bolt lever and the safety switch. Also not sure what the scripted letter is, maybe a 'P'?
    The gun shoots 170 grain 8mm ammo just fine. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. pico

pico G&G Newbie

It is a sporterized BNZ 43 mauser and the trigger guard not matching and it not being in the original stock has hurt its collectable value. I am guessing the mark you think might be a P is the armorers proofmark. It is likely the trigger guard was replaced at that time. I forget the different proof marks, but it looks like the mark from post WW2 germany. I do not have my book handy to look this stuff up at the present time. Be glad the bolt matches the receiver, but if this has seen combat during WW2, then you may want to either have it checked by a gunsmith or buy a headspace guage to check to make sure all is still safe. I can't see why it would not be, as this mauser action is strong as hell, but you may want to check to be safe, as some of the german WW2 ammo was extremely hot stuff.

While the stock is obviously not original, it sure does look nice.
  3. twtalbot

twtalbot G&G Newbie

The rifle was made by Steyr and that non-matching triggerguard was made in Mauser's Oberndorf factory. If the sights are still intact, you may be able to return it the wartime looks with parts that don't require a gunsmith to install.
  4. eclipsdecd3

eclipsdecd3 G&G Newbie

That sounds intriguing, any leads on where to start looking for a matching trigger guard assembly? I believe that the sights are intact, does the picture of the rear sight look accurate?

Attached Files: