Help! M1 carbine shoots high.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by slsf1, Feb 7, 2008.

1. slsf1

slsf1 G&G Newbie

I purchased an Auto Ordnance .30 cal M1 carbine. I took the gun to the range to test fire it. I used Remington/UMC factory 110 grain ball ammo. I began at the 50 yard range. This rifle is equipped with flip over peep sights. I was using the large aperture. I placed a man size B21XFS silhouette target down range. I quickly discovered the rifle shoots high. To get the shots to fall in the chest area of the silhouette target I had to aim in the area where a mans belt buckle would be. I also tried the rifle at 100 yards, but it still seems to shoot high. I also used American Eagle 110 grain ball ammo. It shot a little better, but still is shooting high. To put the rounds in the chest area of the silhouette I had to hold with the sight post in between the belt buckle area and the center 5X ring.

I'd appreciate suggestions as to a cure for this. I could learn to compensate and hold low, but I don't really like doing that with my firearms. I'm considering replacing the peep sights with a set of adjustable sights. Numrich offers a set of mil spec adjustables for a reasonable price. Apparently the peep sights can be drifted out and replaced with the adjustable ones. As I said before I'd appreciate advice...especially from those wise to the ways of the carbine. Thank you. :worried:
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

The manufacturer

If it is in warranty I would contact the manufacturer as this should not be happening with your ammo choice and range choice. Otherwise, I would consult a gunsmith as to some sight modification.
  3. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Enthusiast

The flip sight was designed for 150 yards abd 300 yards. It should shoot high at 100 yards! Try shooting at 25 yards. It should shoot 1 to 1 1/2 inchs high at that distance if the sights are correct. If it shoots higher than that, I'd send it back. Otherwise, it is shooting where it is supposed to shoot.