High Standard/AMT Automag II .22 Magnum Semi Auto Pistol

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by cb671, Mar 19, 2009.

1. cb671

cb671 G&G Enthusiast

Anyone have experience with the Automag .22 Mag Pistol? any Pro's and Con's? Out of all the Rimfire ammunition I have alway's wanted a .22 Mag whether it's a Rifle or a Pistol and unfortunatly Ruger stopped the production of their 10/22's in .22 Mag. So I looked on the net and found the High Standard/AMT Automag II review at gunblast.com but the article was since 06' and I was wondering if they are any good and if anyone has run into problem's. I am planning on getting one in the Near Future so I would like to hear the Automag's owner's review of these pistol's.
  2. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Had one, got rid of it with a SMILE.

Automag II had one major problem...jamming. Their idea of a Benz Chamber is faulty at best.

Same with Ruger's 10/22 Magnum. It's been stopped & started in production 5 times. it also had a really bad extractor issue. The old ones had a single extractor which would break, the new ones had double extractors, but when one would break, it would lock the bolt closed and you couldn't open it.

The only one I've found that works properly most of the time is the Grendel line of .22 Magnums: the P-30, P-31(pistols), R-31 (rifle/carbine)...looks like this!
    [​IMG]

R-31

[​IMG]

Grendel closed and is now known as Kel-Tec, but has yet to release a .22WMR-based weapon.

There is also the Volquartsen Fusion, which has FOUR barrels to switch in minutes between .17HMR/.22WMR & .17Mach2/.22lr at $1799.00 (argh). VQ also makes the Predator Pistol for $1684.00...little expensive for a .22WMR, IMHO. The VX-10 pistol I don't even want to quote a price for ;) I could buy a '68 Mustang GT for that.

There is a company that has started a new line of .22WMR Pistols & Carbines called ExcelArms...the MP-22 Accelerator, so far all reports are glowing.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  3. GUNZABLAZIN

GUNZABLAZIN G&G Enthusiast

I have one, and haven't had any problems. The manual said not to use CCI ammo because they use a flake powder and it can clog the gas ports in the bbl, I have not shot any CCI and haven't had a problem. It isn't a tackdriver but it is a fun gun to shoot and used it on many of varmints!
    [​IMG]
  4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

The marketplace spoke

and the AMT automag was not a success. I tend to place a lot of credence in the judgement of the marketplace.
  5. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Gunz, you're one lucky guy. Most folks didn't have your luck with 'em.

Mine wasn't real fond of Winchester Grey Box...back then it was all I could find.
  6. reloader2

reloader2 G&G Newbie

i have an old amt 22mag with the shortesr barrel, i shoot cci 40grs but i run a copper brush in the chamber on a drill everother time i use it and have no trouble .