High Standard flite king shotguns

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Alvin York, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Alvin York

Alvin York G&G Newbie

What can anyone tell me about the hi-standard fliteking shot guns? I've acquired one recently and I am curious as to what their reputation are.
  2. targettracker

targettracker G&G Newbie

HighStandard fliteking shotguns

I have shot and owned HighStandard shotguns for over 35years. I have never had any better shotgun than the fliteking pumps for the money. I now own a 12ga, 20ga, 28ga, and 410ga. and I shoot them several times every year. They are very well made and very reliable, (I have never had a single one of mine have anything go wrong with them) and they are still fairly cheap to acquire. The action on a fliteking is extremely smooth and its not a long action either. Don't think twice on purchasing a High Standard fliteking, it will serve you well forever.
    Alan
  3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I agree...They are a Fine shotgun. I had one years ago that was stolen from me in Florida..It was a very smooth action!
    Rich
  4. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

A couple of weeks ago I went to a friends Pawn and Gun shop to order a shotgun and he had a High Standard Pump shotgun in the used gun rack .
    I'm not sure if it was a fliteking but I looked at it and the action was as smooth as silk, it was used but very decent and I'm not sure but I think the price tag was $169.00
    I'll go back and check it out...A.H
  5. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

You going to go back and get it A.H.?
  6. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

G-M I like going down to the gun shop to visit and see what he has and I started to go today but didn't.
    I will probably ask him what he would take for it if it's still there but I have 3 pumpactions and really don't need another one or these 3. LOL
    My next gun purchase will be a Ruger LCR if the reviews are good.
    I came close to ordering a Mossin M44 today through my neighbor with the FFL and remembered the Ruger LCR 380 so I didn't.
    I've got to save a little more change before I buy another firearm...A.H
  7. Johnsafe

Johnsafe G&G Newbie

I just purchased a flight king, but it didn't come with a manual; does anyone know where I can find a manual for it...for disassembly, cleaning, etc.
  8. bremington

bremington G&G Newbie

9. texasaggie2010

texasaggie2010 G&G Newbie

Any reports of Flite Kings with cycle/feed problems? When I try and shoot my grandfathers the shells tend to hang on part 22, cartridge stop, http://www.histandard.info/manuals/hpashotguns/1220D150R.pdf

I dont know much at all about shotguns, I'm just trying to get it working so I can skeet shoot a little.
  10. marlinman48414

marlinman48414 G&G Newbie

I have the same problem. the gun cycles perfectly everytime when you just use the pump action to eject all the shells. but try firing it and it will not eject. Heck you can barely pull back on the forearm to eject it out.

I removed the barrel and tried putting a new 2 3/4" shell in it and it goes in and comes out perfectly. I put the spent shell that had been fired and it takes great difficulty to remove it. It doesn't matter if what brand of shotgun shell you use, cheap or good stuff, it still hangs up.

The only thing I can think of is bad machining from the manufacture. I am thinking about taking my dremel tool and do some serious polishing inside the barrel chamber to see if it makes a difference.

Thoughts anyone?
  11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

It sounds more like someone may have beat you to the polishing with a dremel.Look at the fired case right next to the rim and see if there is a very slight bulge.If there is it is probably pushing out on the extractors making them hang up and extraction difficult.This may or may not be it but before employing a dremel in a precision chamber please talk to a gunsmith about it.Those dremels make a lot of money for smiths,and most don't even want it.Once you have removed metal,it can't be replaced easily. Please talk to a smith. ,,,sam.
  12. ADGP

ADGP G&G Newbie

For those thinking of getting one, you should also consider looking for a JC Higgins Model 20. High Standard made these guns for Sears, who sold them under their name. The only difference is the foregrip and the name, other than that, it is the same gun. You may (or may not) be able to find one of these for cheaper. I got mine for $125 last fall, the thing runs like a champ! I have not fired it too much, but I want to start hunting turkeys with it next year.
  13. marlinman48414

marlinman48414 G&G Newbie

Thanks Sam! Excellent sound advise. Being a used shotgun and second owner, I will check it out much closer. I ASSume your referring to the top of the brass rim where it meets the plastic, yes? I found the difficulty in both short and tall brass shells if that makes any difference.

I will hold off on any other novice work and head straight to a competent smith. It will probably save me a lot of time and money in the long run.

Jim
  14. rockzombie

rockzombie G&G Newbie

Once again I learned a lot, thanks ya'll.