High Standard Sentinel MK IV

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by lowercase, Apr 25, 2012.

1. lowercase

lowercase G&G Newbie

Just picked up this gun yesterday.

It was in the used section at my local gun shop, and was only 100 bucks. The gun was filthy with crud all over it. It looked to be neglected, but not abused. The lockup is good, and the barrel has good rifling.

It is 9-shot, .22 WMR, and has a 3" barrel.

Anybody familiar with these guns? What little I've read about them has been mostly positive.

[​IMG]
  2. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Very Nice. They were made some time ago. Nice guns. I have 2 Sentinel R101 .22LR Revolvers. Only draw back that I can find is parts and service may be a little sketchy. There is a guy on the site who has been battling an issue.
  3. blue fox

blue fox G&G Enthusiast

Jerry, that little pin above the cylinder latch is right where the one is that I can remove to change barrels on mine. Wonder if his does the same thing?
  4. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yes Sir, that is the pin to change the barrel. A good friend fixed me up with an extra barrel for my R101. He has changed barrels, however advises that care must be taken becase the frame (at least the aluminum ones) are the fragile part of the revolver.
  5. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Enthusiast

6. lowercase

lowercase G&G Newbie

I took the High Standard to the range yesterday, and ran a box of CCI Maxi-Mag 40 grain HP through it.

The gun wouldn't group well, and the bullets were keyholing. :ugh:

The rifling and crown look great, and the timing is good, too. I'm gonna go back to the range and run a couple different types of ammo through it in hopes that it just doesn't like the CCI stuff.

I've heard that some guns can be pretty picky with certain types of ammo. We'll see.
  7. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Enthusiast

My first handgun was a Sentinel 6" barrel, 22 LR. I think it was the R101 but I don't recall exactly.
    Very accurate gun - used to use 22 Shorts and shoot cans at 125 yards. (Pop -waaaait- clank!) I had made an "ergonomic" grip for it so it fit my hand well.

Regretably, I sold it to help pay for a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag when they first came out. Now I wish I still had that Sentinel.

I have no idea why your gun won't group well unless it's because it began life as a 22LR and someone tried to convert it.
    Is there any play in the barrel/frame fit? Just thinking that someone might have practiced their "gunsmithing skills" on it.
    And as you said, different ammo might solve the problem.
  8. G-Sarge

G-Sarge G&G Newbie

Looking for some advice as to the best way to remove/replace the barrel on a Sentinel MK1. I have a snub nose version and would like to replace the 2" barrel with a 4" barrel available from Numrich. I have already gently removed the pin that secures the barrel in the frame, however I have not been able to remove the barrel yet. I have used a wooden block and rubber mallet, but it doesn't seem to want to budge. The gun is a family keepsake, so I am understandably reluctant to do anything that might damage the weapon in any way. From what I have been able to research, the good news is that the MK1 models have a steel frame instead of aluminum, so unless I am misinformed, it should be strong enough for some gentle tapping to dislodge the barrel. I can imagine that the aluminum framed models would be less tolerant of the change, especially since the steel barrel and aluminum frame is bound to add to the problem due to dissimilar metals natural corrosion issues. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
  9. G-Sarge

G-Sarge G&G Newbie

OK, so the barrel swap has been successfully completed. Ultimately, unlike other information I've read about how the barrels can be simply and easily removed once the barrel retention pen is pushed out, this was NOT the case for me. I ended up taking the gun to my nearest Gander Mountain 'Gun World' in Charleston, WV and they were able to clamp the frame and use a barrel clamp to twist and pull the snubnose barrel out, which they did for free (kudos to Gander Mountain!). Liability limitations prevent them from installing barrels though, so I did that myself.

Upon clamping the frame using wood blocks and a vise, I was able to tap in the new 4-inch barrel in using an oak hammer handle. I heated the barrel seat area of the frame using a heat gun and cooled the barrel by spraying the bore with CRC Freeze-Off cooling penetrant a couple of times during the process. 663 raps to the front of the barrel with an oak handle and three slight alignment adjustments along the way finally resulted in the perfectly aligned and flush insertion of the barrel. The barrel retention pen groove in the replacement barrel also aligned perfectly with the existing hole in the frame and the pen was able to be tapped back in with normal resistance.

I checked the cylinder and barrel spacing and they were exactly the same as the original spacing of the snubnose barrel. I then took the gun out and fired over 100 rounds through it without a single glitch. The accuracy is spot-on and the gun has a much better look and feel to it (in my opinion) with the longer, beefy barrel, plus I still retain the snubnose barrel for stock purposes.

I cannot begin to explain why others have been able to simply swap barrels on their Sentinels, but find it hard to believe I'm the only one that had to use considerable force to complete the swap on my Sentinel.

Peace Out! G-Sarge
  10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Another mosquito gun!

J/K