hog hunting with AR10

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by felix cortinas, Dec 12, 2006.

1. felix cortinas

felix cortinas G&G Newbie

Just wondering if anybody out there is using an AR10 for hogs, I am very lucky to have several landowners give me permission to eliminate as many as I can, here in central Texas we are overrun with feral and Russian boar hogs, I use my Armalite AR10A2 with open sights and FMJ ammo and let them gather around some corn soured with beer and you can really do some damage, not too many run away, if they do I use my trusty .45 Colt Ruger Bisley to finish them off. I havent tried it for deer hunting, but for hogs you cant beat it.
  2. Pred

Pred Suspended

Just don't use the FMJ rounds for deer and you should be fine. Don't know about Texas but here in KY its illegal. You better make sure your not breaking the law there also.
  3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

Also, if you shoot them with your AR-10 and they run away, FMJ ammo may be the problem. Use hunting ammo with properly expanding bullets and it will do them more damage.
  4. chester12

chester12 G&G Newbie

I am not completely sure that FMJ ammo is legal for hogs, but Inot sure that it isn't either. From what I understand hogs can be taken 24/7/365 by just about any means possible, execpt for poision or explosives. Best to check before you use it. I would be very careful during around, near deer season having FMJ ammo on you at that point. I would think that a soft point ammo would be better, you still want to make sure that you kill them in as clean and qwick ways as possible.
  5. at4rxj

at4rxj G&G Newbie

I don't think it's illegal in TX, but still you'd be better off using at least an inexpensive soft point or ballistic tip round.

Where in TX are you hunting? I'd like to go if you can take ppl with you. PM me if possible.
  6. felix cortinas

fmj for hunting in Texas

It is legal in Texas to hunt with with FMJ, it is not in our annual publication and lots of people use them. just to make sure I did check with Texas Parks and Wildlife (gamewarden) they said it is not illegal but they do not recommend them. I have killed hundreds of hogs with my AR10 or my RRA CAR 15 cause I carry them in my pickup all the time. here in my part of Texas about 50 mi. south of Austin, 55 east of San Antonio we are overrun with them. I happen to be lucky to know lots of landowners who have known me all my life and trust me on their land. and by the way my little .22-250 has accounted for lots of them too, but for me my Ruger BH Bisley in .45 colt with Buffalo Bore ammo cant be beat. the jacketed hollow point does the best or the cast bullett. just my opinion.
  7. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

I've hunted them with my AR10T here in Central Texas. I shoot the Fed GMM 168 BTHP in mine. The hollowpoint expands well for a match bullet. Only time I get to really shoot this one. It's really set up for the bench, but it is fun to make that long shot on game once in a while.
  8. felix cortinas

AR10 on hogs

Hey Wayne, I got an AR10A2 with a 3 X9 Leupold on it and I use anywhere from 150 to 165 gr. ammo on them. I just nailed me a big boar about #300 thursday evening. I am luck I got lots of places to hunt them and we are overrun with them down here. I am thinkin of another scope to put on it for really long range shooting and Tasco (believe it or not) supposedly makes a really good one, what do you use for long shots?
  9. Full MeTal Jack

Full MeTal Jack G&G Newbie

Felix, of course it's legal to hunt with the Full MeTal Jack.
    Some of these ol boys live in highly restrictive states. Wait till ya tell em there is no magazine capacity limit.
    What do you mean, "not many run away"?
    How much beer and corn are you using?
    Does this mean you can pop several of em.
  10. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

felix, Like I said , it's set up for the bench. Leupold Gold Ring Benchrest Scope 24x fixed x 50 mm, mildot, set on the 2 piece Armalite mounts, and a Harris bipod. Can count the hairs on their back @100 yds. Shot one at a measured [ rangefinder] 334 yds is the longest for me so far. I prefer the smaller ones as we mix it with the venison for sausage. Added this pic. Don't know why the grip and butt look brown,they're the same a the front tube

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  11. felix cortinas

hogs and AR10

well first to Full Metal Jacket, yeah I feed them corn soured with beer left over from a friend of mine that owns a bar. I hunt several places that landowners let me on and yes sometimes there are as many as 20 or more pigs together at one time, we are overrun with them, a friend of mine trapped and sold over 600 off his 500 acre ranch near Gonzales last year alone. and Wayne , how much does that scope go for, my old lady is putting the squeeze on me as far as my firearms expenses. I got my Armalite in July, I ordered it in Feb. and it took me 6 months to get it. I served in the military in the early 70's and every once in a while we would run across one. back then we would pick up an Ak if we had the chance. I work 7 on and 7 off and this time of year you can always find me at some pasture laying over a few hogs. but come March its yellow catfishing time!!
  12. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

felix, Bought the scope at the same time as the rifle, so the guy gave me a break on the price. Still cost me $785. Crystal clear and havent touched the adjustments since the first time I zeroed. We have kind of thinned the pigs out in our little hunting area[78 acres]. A place between Gatesville and Copperas Cove, Where have you been hunting ?
  13. felix cortinas

hogs

I hunt a lot around Luling, I have live here all 52 years of my life and know lots of landowners, and I also hunt below Nixon and near Gonzales. you cant kill enough hogs to make a dent in their population. I nailed me a big one thurs. I work 7 days on and 7 off, so it gives me time to hunt. I love the challenge of hunting with my .45 Bisley. when I get off work Sun. you can bet I will hunt every chance I get for the next 2 months at least. some friends let me hunt after deer season on their leases around here so I am really lucky!!
  14. Full MeTal Jack

Full MeTal Jack G&G Newbie

Wayne, that's nice!
    I''m trapping in Simington Tx. When the hay starts growing, hoping to pop a few as they come into field from 260 yards out. I've buildt a tack driving 30-06 on a Turk 98 reciever.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  15. cz777

cz777 G&G Newbie

not all fmj are= find some german or swedish its very mean ,it breaks in two after about 3'' !!or match 168 !!