Homemade Canada Goose Decoys

Discussion in 'Wingshooting' started by TecMan, Oct 26, 2010.

1. TecMan

TecMan G&G Newbie

Hi all, just thought I'd ask what some people might be using for homemade Canada goose decoys for field hunting? I already realize that the best thing to use is large very realistic, quality decoys. Trouble is, I cannot afford this now or any time soon...not even before next year! I'm 55 and mostly retired hunting on a very small budjet. I have been hunting various game all my adult life and have aquired a few decoys, but right now all I have is 3 store bought shell Canada goose decoys. My freind and I have been doing fairly well for our area...not exactly a waterfowl haven or real strong flyway (north/cental WI), but at times not too bad. I'll just say this area is not like where I used to hunt just outside of Horicon, WI. Anyway, I have my own design in mind already and I do have a technical background....although this certainly isn't rocket science by any means! I was just wondering what other people may have had success with working on a very tight budjet. I do like to keep things as simple as possible for many reasons, I have been known to cobble quite a few different things together...sometimes necessary sometimes not! My design is for what I will call "shell decoys", the geese we've been encountering are smart and probably educated to some extent so I'd prefer to NOT use silhouette decoys. I also want my decoys fairly large, approx. the size of an average Canada goose or slightly bigger.
  2. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

Hmm...the only home made decoys I have ever really seen or heard of are silhouettes. I'm not sure how I would go about making shells. good luck!
  3. 99dragon99

99dragon99 G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

You might want to try to make something like a windsock decoy. Should be pretty easy to make. Here is a link to some windsock decoys.

Texas Hunting Raggs, Goose Rag Decoys

Have you considered buying used? Ebay or something?
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  4. TecMan

TecMan G&G Newbie

Thanks for the replies so far people. I will look into the "wind sock" type decoys further, but I'd prefer only some of my decoys to be of this type. I like the look of "shell decoys" better and sometimes it's actually too windy or not windy at all where we hunt. With shell decoys I can just place them out and everythings fine. I then go in my lay-out blind or other cover...if need be for movement I will sometimes use a homemade "flag".
    I'm liking my idea for the design of my homemade decoys more and more. Once I make my prototype I will give more details. Some guys use painted 5 gallon buckets, some use cut up tires, some use milk jugs for snow geese. In my opinion, milk jugs just aren't big enough for Canada geese.
    I will say, my design incorporates the use of a homemade plastic shell and black corrugated drain tubing. It will be very simple and inexpensive and once the shells are painted will look quite well.
    I'd still like to hear about anyone elses design and at the same time it could possibly help anyone else looking to do the same thing.
    I will keep you all informed on my progress, with more details later when I get that far.
  5. 99dragon99

99dragon99 G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Just thinking about your last post TecMan.... Here's an idea, as strange as it may seem.... make a concrete mold of a shell (sounds easy doesn't it). Then take your 5 gal buckets And cut them into pieces that fit the mold. Heat them up with an industrial hair dryer (hot air gun) and press them in the mold. A little paint and you have the perfect shell.

A coat hanger and some black (cable?) tubing would be great for a head.

You can even trim some to be "moving" decoys.... but pm me if you want to know my "vision" on that... Basically a mix of shell and windsock....
  6. TecMan

TecMan G&G Newbie

Thanks for the input, not a bad idea...I may have to try that if my idea doesn't work as well as I'm hoping. I do have some knowledge of forming plastic with mild heat. When I owned a small manufacturing business I had some vacuum forming equipment. At any rate, my idea will involve no heat or mold and I will be sharing all the specifics at a later date after I make my prototype...hopefully successfully! Trouble is, I may not be doing this until later this winter...too many other things going on right now including hunting. I also have to get my heart condition attended to, possibly in late December. I'm not looking forward to it one bit...oh well, such is life. Thanks again for the idea, I really do appreciate it and as I say I may have to try it if my design doesn't pan out.