How do I correctly open a sealed tin ammo can??

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by ingous, Feb 15, 2008.

1. ingous

ingous G&G Newbie

Hello! I just bought some Bulgarian surplus ammo that is still sealed in its original tin can. How do I open this thing correctly? Thanks for any advise!
    [​IMG]:33:
  2. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

Hammer and screwdriver!:09:

Thats how most do it and unless you have the canopener tool thingy you will too.
  3. ingous

ingous G&G Newbie

Thanks Damage! Wow, hammer and screwdriver, huh? Just seems wrong to hit a can with life ammo with a hammer. But, I don't have the canopener, so I gues I have no choice.
  4. MosinGirl

MosinGirl G&G Newbie

Even with the canopener tool thingy, those cans are a PITA to get open. My husband bent one of them the other night trying to get one of these spam cans open.

Manda in Kent
  5. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Yep, I used a pair of slip joint pliers and a screwdriver. Got it halfway open then bent the top back to get at the ammo. Transfered all to an ammo box. It was an interesting aroma that came from that box. Not unpleasant in the least. I was thinking as I opened it that the ammo inside had not seen the light of day since 1954! Now, if I can just get a Sunday with out it snowing or below zero I will be able to go out and shoot some of it! I have 4 Mosins that need to be fed!
  6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Yep, since I didn't have a chisel, I used a hammer and a big flat blade screwdriver.
  7. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Hitting live ammo with a hammer is way too dangerous for me. Next time I am going to use a blow torch!

Or tin snips. Depends.
  8. ingous

ingous G&G Newbie

Maybe I could shoot at it.............:AR15firing:

(Sorry, just looking for an excuse to use the smile)
  9. Zephri

Zephri G&G Newbie

Why not just go for broke and use a thermal lance.

anyways, if it's those galvanized cans there should be a tab you can pull with a pair of pliers.
  10. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

wanna watch

texinmidwest: Sir; I wanna watch :burnout:I'll be quite:ugh::34::burnout:
  11. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Bayonet!
  12. nick112207

nick112207 G&G Newbie

stupid of me but i was desperate to get it open. actually took a drill press with the biggest bit i could find and drilled just till i got to the inside of the can. then using a combination of metal sheers and pliars i got it open in oh id say 15 or 20 minutes haha
  13. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

If you look the can over very carfully you will find a pull tag .. It may have some solder on it but if you get a hold of it with a pair of needle nose pliers and roll it back like the old spam cans( that had spam in it) it will roll right up then lift the top lid off it and walla AMMO!:hitwithrock:
  14. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Do you think a P-38 might work, or is the metal too thick? Or the top lip too high?
  15. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

16. Troy

Troy G&G Newbie

just drop it from a skyscraper, something oughta happen.
  17. ingous

ingous G&G Newbie

Well, another "1st" is mastered, I opened my first can of spam. And the prize (besides the satisfaction): 300 rounds of Bulgarian 182gr FMJ. Wow, if life was just always that good!

Thank you all for the good and the humorous advice. I did in fact find a pull tab but despite careful handling it ripped off in 5 seconds flat. In the end the hammer and screwdriver method was the way to go. I carefully punctured the tin seal and once I had an opening big enough to insert some needle nose pliers I started to roll back the tin. Voila!:) The can was opened and I could claim my prize.

It still feels like its wrong to work a container with live ammo in it with a hammer and screwdriver but hey, who can argue with the results?

Thanks again to all of you!
  18. Cyrano

You know, the question does have to be asked: How did the grunts in the line get these things open? Given that the reason the M-N bayonet has a screwdriver tip is so it could be used as a tool to take the rifle down for cleaning, could it possibly be the bayonet was to be used like the key of a sardine can or something to get the ammo tins open?
  19. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I doubt the cans were as hard to open back then as they are now. I doubt many grunts received cans of ammo anyway! They probably received a "handful" when it was available.
  20. Cyrano

You're probably right, but even if it was the company armorer sergeant opening the cans and passing out the ammo to the guys in the line, somebody had to open the silly things! The question stands: how did the guys at the front get these cans open during the war?