How do you cut a magnet?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Despoiler, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Despoiler

Despoiler G&G Newbie

Does any one know how to cut a magnet? I have tried using a dremmel, a hack saw and no luck. Got any ideas?
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Allen...it depends on the magnet, there are lots of different kinds from rare earth to ceramic ! cutting may ruin the magnetics !
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  3. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Allen, what kind of magnet is it?
  4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

My only guess would be an abrasive.
  5. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

OK, what's the punch line?
  6. Despoiler

Despoiler G&G Newbie

No stopper, no punch line.

I am guessing that it is a ceramic magnet. I got it out of an old electric motor.

My cub scouts are doing a science project and I need to cut this large magnet up into 1" x 2" pieces. Like I said I tried a hacksaw, I did not notice any cutting on the magnet. When I used a dremmel with a grinding and cutting wheel it made a very shallow cut into the magnet but I used a whole wheel to get that far.

I am getting frustrated and I figured that someone here would have an idea, other that trying a hammer like my son says to do.
  7. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

Magnets are cheaper than Dremel wheels

I'd forget the cutting and head for my friendly neighborhood big-box hardware store...
  8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Diamond wet saw...If that won't cut it, Buy some magnets at radio shack!
  9. FutureMarine

FutureMarine G&G Newbie

10. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

If you have a Harbor Freight or any other large hardware store, try to find a diamond abrasive wheel for a dremel. Harbor freight sells them pretty cheap. www.harborfreight.com They usually have them in a kit with a mini-dremel type tool for around $8.00. They also have them seperately but they are near impossible to find on the website. Grizzly Tool also has them under part number H1422 for about $12. www.grizzly.com
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  11. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

its magnetite, a close kin to kryptonite(just kidding) the only way to cut it is with an abrasive like brg mentioned, it will remain a magnet , although the polararity will not be the same, possibly quadrapole depending on the angularity of the cut
  12. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

A shear (very large one) will cut it. Like those used to cut 1/2" steel plates.
  13. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

If it is ceramic...Ya got to treat it like Tile or Rock, I think a shear might shatter it. My dads hobby was lapidary work,and a diamond wheel will cut the hardest of stone. You could try a dry 14" abrasive cutoff saw if you have one!
    It wont make as thin of a cut as a Rock or tile saw.
  14. Oxford

Oxford G&G Enthusiast

Allen,

Take a piece of soft iron rod the diameter you want and cut it in proper lengths for your project. Then using a D.C. power source, wind a single electrical copper wire around those pieces, one at at time, and activate the D.C. source. This will polorize the pieces.:right:

You can do this with your screwdriver tips, too.:right:
  15. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

I like your son's idea - get a bigger hammer!
  16. Despoiler

Despoiler G&G Newbie

SIlver run, that is what I ended up doing I used a hammer to break the magnet up.
  17. btkmack

btkmack G&G Newbie

best solution

try buying them for cheep at desired sizes from kj magnetics
    From home there is no easy wat to cut ceramic magnets, They can be cut using a watter jet cutter but, and you may have some success using a dimond cuter, they do sell them for dremmels

but I would really just buy them from kj magnetics web sight.
  18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Call it nasty names! That always cuts me deep. sam.
  19. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

You do have to be careful cutting magnets. If you upset the polarity of the fields it may open a rift in the Van Allen belt that could create a worm hole to another dimension. Thus upsetting the space time continuime. Or just do what they said above.
  20. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Magnets and cutting

Very interesting subject:)

what happens when a magnet is cut in two? Does the strength of an electromagnet depend on the number of turns of wire? If you have two magnets how can you find out which one is stronger?

A couple of different things can happen when you cut a magnet in half.If you do it gently you can end up with two magnets. You can think of a magnet as a bundle of tiny magnets, called magnetic domains, that are jammed together. Each one reinforces the magnetic fields of the others. Each one has a tiny north and south pole. If you cut one in half, the newly cut faces will become the new north or south poles of the smaller pieces. You could keep slicing smaller and smaller slices like a loaf of bread and keep getting thinner magnets, each with a new set of poles. Remember, I did say though you only get two magnets if you cut them gently. The magnetic domains in a magnetic material can be knocked loose, by bumping or vibrating the magnet (like when sawing it in half). If knocked loose, the domains are no longer arranged neatly, so they do not reinforce each other. If they are in a random orientation, with their fields pointing all over the place, they cancel each other ou