how do you prepare and cook your squirrel!

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by hemingway89, Oct 7, 2012.

1. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Enthusiast

ive started going out trying to bag a few squirrels so i could make brunswick stew but im not sure if ill get enough squirrels together before i start deer hunting. so was just wondering how every one else cooked em up?
  2. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

quarter them. Soak in salt water overnight refrigerated. Dip in milk and then flour. Pan fry on medium low heat till golden brown and done. Make gravey from the leavings and eat with biscuits or mashed potatoes or both!
  3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I have had them fried as Chesterwin suggested and stewed. Hard to tell which is the better way. They are tasty little creatures anyway they are prepared.
  4. TheLastMountain

TheLastMountain G&G Enthusiast

Seared in a cast iron skillet on an open fire, then add Italian stewed tomatoes and simmer till done. Dang, now I'm hungry for squirrel. Time to get the rat traps out.
  5. hemingway89

maybe ill have to get a few more and try to fry them and stewem!
  6. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Enthusiast

7. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

I quarter them and soak them in salt water and give them to my mom
  8. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

parboil them before frying them
  9. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

"Fork n Spoon"

hemingway89: Sir, I eat:) not cook:). keep "fork and spoon" ready for these meals:)
  10. trigger

trigger G&G Enthusiast

My Favorite is. Pressure cook them. Peel off the bone. Fry in a little butter to brown. Add to milk gravy and have biscuts and sqrl gravy and a freash pot of coffee. Breakfast of course. Darn. Go get me sum squirrls boy!
  11. hemingway89

yeah well i think i need a new spot for squirrels before i can get enough of them for someone else lol. and im not sure if i want to keep using the 22 or the 410...........can you bait for squirrels in ny? cuase thiers a lot of plump grey's in the village but you cant even use a bb gun. i had the cops show up when i used an airsoft gun .
  12. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

I shoot them with a 35 gr balistic tip at 4300 fps. Cleans them/ cooks them /I leaves them lol .Ground squirrel that is.
  13. hemingway89

so you shoot them and just leave them. you dont shoot them to eat them at all? i dont care if its ground squirrel, ground hog, or mouse if you shoot it you should retrieve and if your not going to eat it you should at least put it somewhere that something else will. even if i run it over by accident i go back to make sure it down! then i move it off the road and if its something small i toss it in the trunk or the truck bed and bring it back to the stray cats. if you dont plan on using it then why kill it!
  14. JESSEDR

JESSEDR G&G Newbie

After I clean them I soak them in salt and vinegar water over night. Then quarter them and fry them or put them in the dutch oven with stuffing. Got to have some fryed taters and green's too.
  15. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

We call them varmints here and they have lots of parasites.Besides how do you cook a nose and a tail? That's all that's left.
  16. hemingway89

i simply wont shoot it if the gun i have is too much! its like taking a shot from two feet away with a 12ga it defeats the hole point of shooting them..... but i understand the parasite thing if they are over runing you lawn and stuff where kids and your pets come in contact with them. what parasites do they carry?
  17. winston64

winston64 G&G Enthusiast

One thing we have a lot of in Ga, is peanuts and Squirrel. Squirrels love peanuts and I love squirrel. I brine em overnight, dip em in buttermilk, roll em in flour, brown em in a little peanut oil in the dutch oven, add beef or chicken broth, turn it down to simmer for a couple hours and serve on rice with some biscuit.
  18. hemingway89

it all sounds good except the rice blah! im a tater fan
  19. my1871colt45

my1871colt45 G&G Enthusiast

In my opinion anything you put on rice you can put on taters and vice versa. Its all a matter of taste or health related issues. Some people just dont have the luxury of being able to enjoy taters (or other things) like most of us do, and some people just dont like taters, but all in all they are pretty much interchangeable to me.
    Just my 2 cents.
    And so far ALL the recipes sound good to me. YUM! YUM!
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  20. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

If I may interject, I'd assume he's talking about prairie dogs, which are ridden with fleas and known to carry bubonic plague. Out west here, the damn things are everywhere in groups of thousands and thousands, and you'd have to be a stark raving lunatic to eat them. Great sport to shoot them with high powered, small caliber rifles and watch them explode. They provide food for plenty of other critters. Out here, they're just as much vermin as sewer rats are in New York or any other big city.