How far can you shoot a 45?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Aaron88, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Aaron88

Aaron88 G&G Newbie

I got to go shooting with some family friends and we were mainly shooting pistols but the pistol range area was full so we were shooting a little farther than normal I think it was 40 yards. The guns were 22s and 357s and with some of the faster 22s they would reach out to almost the 100yards mark but they would really fall after 80yards or so. the 357s were also shooting really flat and it was easyto hit things like bottles and jugs we had out there. That was some of the most fun shooting i have ever done using handguns at long ranges which I guess is just plinking because we didn't have targets.

I had wanted a 45 for my pistol but do they shoot as far like what I described, it seems like people say they are slow and heavy but I thought there powerful enough. Or would a 9mm pistol reach out because it moves faster? If I got a Armscor rock island 1911 or a glock 17 is some options.
  2. BORIS

BORIS Suspended

Your 45 will hit just as far as a 9mm will, it just drops faster. Once you figure out that drop you will be good to go.

The farthest I have done is 200 yards on a 16" round steel plate. I have to aim pretty darn high and at that range being off just a little at the starting point makes for being off alot at the target. Hits far out will be "easier" at first with the G17 until you learn the range and drop of the 45.......
  3. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

A .45, and most handguns, will shoot 100 yards. A .45 will not be as accurate at 100+ yards as a faster bullet but it will reach. Barrel length will play a large part of it. A full sized 1911 will be more accurate at 100 yards than a Kahr PM or Taurus Millennium. If you want to get a big bore long distance pistol have you looked at a .44 Magnum, .454 Casull or even a .460? Any of those with a 6 inch barrel or more will varments and small game down at 100+ yards with ease. Probably even take medium sized game.

If you get the Rock Island 1911 and want long distance make sure you get the full sized 5" barrel. Not a Glock fan here al all so I'm the wrong person to be asking about the Glock 17.
  4. BORIS

BORIS Suspended

This guy can shoot. The far target he shoots at 5 minutes and 20 seconds is 230 yards out. He does it with a G19.......

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2O7K8MawTs&feature=PlayList&p=7A3EDDBBE4AC37D1&index=0&playnext=1[/ame]
  5. Pothole

Pothole G&G Newbie

I know its not the most accurate but i saw on mythbusters that a .45 ACP shot at a hight of 3 feet, I think only went 360 feet.

dont know if that helps, but it was a lot less than i would have thought
  6. Sooner Shooter

Sooner Shooter G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

7. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

Of course shooting out to 150-200 yards with a not so powerful round can easily hit the gong but if you needed to do damage or take down a target you need something more.

Last fall I was down at a friends property and we were shooting 200 yards or so with the rifles. I got out the .44 Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2" barrel with 200gr JHP's. We were shooting pieces of aluminum plate about 5" wide and 1/4" thick or so and also jugs of water and cans. Of the rounds fired at the aluminum plate a few penetrated it and left a 1/2 or so deep dent about 1 1/2 in diameter as well having the jacketing pealed off the lead and left laying in front of the plate like alittle star. Some rounds just left the big dent and knocked the plate down but did not punch a hole. Of the few 9mm rounds we were able to land on the plates they hardly made a dimple. At that range it would be interesting to see if a 9mm would even penetrate a car door.

I also fired about 20 steel core Norinco rounds thru my SKS at the plates. The holes looked near perfect in shape with just a minor bit of deforming on the exit side. Definitely long range penetrating ammo.

tim
  8. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Enthusiast

id have to say about 100yd accurate after that not sure. with my xd45 and a 230gr bullet i can hit a 9" pie pan at 75 with all 14 rounds
  9. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

As a firearms instructor, we used to have to qualify a minimum 250/300 on the 50 yard course; twice the distance of our students and in far less time. Our course of fire was at the 50, 25, 15, and 12 yard line shooting strong hand, weak hand, prone, kneeling, and standing, from behind barricades and while conducting rapid reload exercises the entire time. For several months in my single days, I was staying with a fellow instructor who lived out in the country while I was looking for a house in the area. He lived on about 6 acres of land with a wide and grassed in fire lane that ran off into the woods near the back of his property with a few hundred acres of timberland behind that. We practiced that summer shooting a similar course of fire expanded to “75” yards in the same amount of time as the academy instructors’ course. We were shooting our .40 Glock 23 service autos and ultimately worked our scores up to a consistent 300. Also, while using the old service revolver course of fire, we used our own .38 special Smith & Wesson service revolvers. Mine was a Model 65 fixed sight and my partner's was a Model 66 adjustable sight; both with 4" barrels. We were scoring in the 300 point range with them too. I am certain that I can do the same "timed course" with my .45 Springfield 1911A1, if I can get up enough practice ammunition to work up my score. That sounds like a goal in the intermediate future.
  10. Ballbearing

Ballbearing G&G Enthusiast

11. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Enthusiast

I can shoot it only about an arms length away... Any farther and I can't reach the trigger!
  12. Ballbearing

Ballbearing G&G Enthusiast

:rolleyes:
  13. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

I shot my .45 from Minnesota to California. But thats the farthest its gone.
  14. mitchr

mitchr G&G Enthusiast

There's a smart aleck in every crowd!:laugh2::laugh2:
  15. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Let the height of a bore parallel to the ground equal H feet. Let the acceleration due to gravity equal 32.2 ft/sec/sec. The time the bullet will be in flight, without consideration for any aerodynamic forces that may be acting, will be equal to the square root of 2 x H / 32.2 ft./s/s. The answer will come out in seconds. Multiply the time by the muzzle velocity and you will get the maximum distance that bullet from that gun at that height will travel in a vacuum. Check the ballistics tables for an idea of what the velocity will have dropped to at that range in air. Add together the muzzle velocity and the downrange velocity and divide by two for a reasonable estimate of the average velocity of the bullet. Now multiply the time by this velocity and you will have a decent estimate of how far that bullet from that gun at that height can be expected to travel before hitting the ground.

Simple, eh?
  16. dsschuler

dsschuler G&G Newbie

Oh boy, now my head hurts Teach :veryhappy:
  17. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Or just pull the trigger and find out, lol !!
  18. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I remember my grandfather talking about an Army drill sergeant who shot a 45acp to a great distance. I am not sure how many yards it was but it was much farther than just a couple hundred yards. This was during his basic training prior to being shipped to France in WW1.
  19. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

The bullet will travel a great distance and still retain lethal energy, but at some point it stops being "shooting" and becomes "lobbing". A .45acp mortar.
  20. deadzero

deadzero G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I think this is the complete and most correct possible answer to the original question, less the drag coefficent of course. but for maximum range the barrel will have to be on an incline of somewhere around, but not to exceed, 45 degrees i believe.