How Much Crimp on Rifle Rounds?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by tappedandtagged, Oct 6, 2012.

1. tappedandtagged

tappedandtagged G&G Enthusiast

I've reloaded and crimped a ton of .357 and .44 mag cases with cast bullets, and with a bit of trial and error and help from this forum, I found what a good crimp looks like.

But... now I'm doing rifle rounds (.223) with a cannelured jacketed bullet. I have 720 pieces of brass waiting on my order from Graf's to get here so I can make the ammo. I've loaded rifle ammo before (both .223 and 243) but I haven't ever crimped any of them.

Since I'm loading for my AR, I know I want to crimp. But how much? Can anyone explain or possibly post a pic of what a good crimp looks like on a rifle round? I will be seating and crimping in the same stroke. Thanks!
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

i dont crimp, even with the auto's.
  3. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Enthusiast

i dont crimp either. neck tension is enough. when i did crimp though, i did it just enough to roll the edge of the neck inward. it no longer feels sharp
  4. hepit

hepit Suspended

if you are going to crimp, you have to TRIM them all to the same length. Otherwise, the long ones will distort the bulelt and "bulge" the case neck, while the short ones don't get crimped at all. If you trim, you also have to deburr. If you are reloading fighting ammo, it must ALSO be sealed against moisture, around the case mouth and the primer, too. Model airplane "dope" works really well, use a camel hair artist's brush.
  5. frank m

frank m G&G Newbie

I don't cramp either. On autos you'll be full size. So I don't think crimping will be an issue. To me crimping is just a little more wear and tear on the brass. There is a big whoop tee do about cramped ammunition having a better ignition and start when the bullet starts moving. Over 30 years of reloading I haven't noticed any difference. Take into consideration I'm not trying to shoot 800 yards and get 1 inch Internet groups. I feel it would be more trouble than it would be worth. On 223 casings if you do decide to cramp be careful. If you get heavy-handed you can set the shoulder back and bowel the front edge of the body on the case. If he decided you want a slightly tighter grip on the bullet you can always polish the expander ball/Rod. Just take some 800 or 1000 grit emery cloth it should do the trick. Again don't overdo it. Even steel wool will work just use the finest you can get.:cool2:
  6. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Enthusiast

for my ar's and m-14 i do use a crimp.
    it's just a bump on the case mouth to give it an inward angle.
    i run my finger down the case and can just feel the angle change.
    i just don't want anything square hanging out to catch on anything when feeding.
    it's also just enough to keep the bullets in check in the magazines.
    semi auto's have to function as thier first priority and i will give up a little accuracy to insure 100% reliability.
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

For semiautos, as little as will work. For singleshot or boltie, none!
  8. deadzero

deadzero G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Target ammo I don't crimp.

Hunting ammo I do crimp, but it's minimal. just enough to take the edge off. of course caliber size plays a part here also. my 45-70 gets a good crimp no matter what, but my 223 and 308 get a minimal amount. but only for the hunting stuff. not the target ammo.
  9. tappedandtagged

tappedandtagged G&G Enthusiast

Got it. For my semi, very little crimp. Since I'm bulk producing this and will be storing it in a mrtal ammo can, I know I want some crimp. I've already trimmed, deburred and chamfered all 817 pieces of brass. I plan on getting more brass at the end of this month. My goal is to load up all 2K. Of course I'll be a 100 or so short after I load some up for accuracy testing and what not, but I figured 1,900 vs 2,000 won't be noticable.
  10. Purdy

Purdy G&G Enthusiast

When I crimp rifle rounds I use a Lee factory crimp die. It is one extra step but works well. I also always crimp bullets for my 45-70's and 450-3 1/4-BPE.
  11. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I HAVE to with my .454 Casulls. Otherwise recoil WILL set the bullets forward. No fun when I cannot turn the cylinder.
  12. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

If Lee makes one for a cailiber I reload, I have it!
  13. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

What rifle takes .454 Casull?
  14. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

15. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

This is my philosophy on rifle ammo crimping, too.

Bolt action target ammo that I make, does not get a crimp.

Hunting ammo gets a light crimp.

Semi-auto for ARs, AKs, M1 or M1A gets good crimp.

45-70 gets full crimp, because they are in a mag tube, banging on each other in the recoil, and they have to feed in through the loading gate.

These practices have worked well for me for the last 12 years.
  16. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

Bingo! love those lee factory crimp dies
  17. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

18. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

were talking rifle's, pistols are a different animal.
  19. Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking G&G Newbie

Any one have info on FC for Barnes. Should the crimp go between the groove, in the grooves. Had some experience where the coal got shorter as the crimp pulled the bullet deeper into the case. I tried different coals after checking the max coal with an unprimed case and bullet seated by closing the bolt.