How to identify what kind of japanese rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ander254, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ander254

ander254 G&G Newbie

Well it was brought to my attention that my wife's grandpa has a rifle that he smuggled out of an occupied japanese camp back in WWII. I don't know anything about it except that he said he wished he'd grabbed a clip for it. I know that ain't much to work with but im gonna try and get a peak at it in the next few weeks just to see what he has. Anything that I should look for as far as identification? As far as I know it has stayed in his gun cabinet since the war.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. DANA

DANA G&G Newbie

If you can get a picture of the marks on the bridge of the receiver it will tell you the mod. Off hand I can't think of a Japanese rifle with a clip?

DANA
  3. ander254

ander254 G&G Newbie

for all i know his 70+ year old brain might be a little fuzzy. but i do know that he has never shot it state side according to my father-in-law. Also im just assuming its japanese since he got it in japan and he refers to it as his japanese rifle. hopefully i can get a picture of it.
  4. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Regular

THe only Japanese military rifles that used a clip that I know of were machine guns. No doubt some MG's were smuggled home. But unless regestered during the GCA68 Amnesty period, they would highly illegal to own now. And cannot be made legal. If you inherit one and contact the ATF, they will sieze and destroy it w/no charges filed. But if you are CAUGHT w/it, BAD NEWS!
    The Japanese bolt rifle`s did use stripper clips.
    But they are not really nessesary for loading/shooting the rifle.
    The Japs were working on some semi auto prototypes that never made it into production. One of which was an M-1 Garand clone that probably did use a clip. Only a handfull known to exist. If he got ahold of one of those, BIG BUCKS!
  5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Once again, great info! I am just starting to study these rifles, so all of this is new to me.
  6. ander254

ander254 G&G Newbie

well i haven't made it yet to look at the rifle but thats good info to know.
  7. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Regular

If you are getting into Arisaka's, do yourself a favor and buy a copy of "Military Rifles of Japan" by Fred Honeycutt. It's the Arisaka collectors Bible. 95% of anything you'll want/need to know is in there. And it's updated periodically to included new found info. Fred has been studying Arisaka for several decades and is regarded as the #1. authority on them. He is also a frequent poster on the Gunboards.com Japanese forum. Where you can contact him (or get contact info) and buy the book directly from him.
    Due to the MANY variations, Arisaka's are a fasinating collector field. The only downside is that you may run off all your friends. Conversations like this tend to occur.
    You: "These is my T-99 collection"
    Friend: "They all look the same to me. Why do you want so many identical rifles?"
    You: "No, No. They are NOT identical! See, this one has a 3 screw front barrel band. And this one only 2. And this one has AA sights. And this one doesn't. And look at these safety knobs. This ones knurled and this one isn't." (on and on).
    Friend w/eyes rolling into back of head: "I see. I have to go now. Forgot I have to pick up the kids."
    ;o)
  8. SwedeSteve

Too funny! I will def get that book right away! Thanks once again!
  9. DANA

DANA G&G Newbie

I have just over 50 of them and will buy one every time I see one. They are cheap around here $95 to $125

DANA
  10. Full MeTal Jack

Full MeTal Jack G&G Newbie

11. SwedeSteve

Thanks for the link FMJ!
  12. Full MeTal Jack

Just returning the favor Steve. Have learned a lot and and have all kinds links in my K-Guns, "Favorites", Information catogory. GTlad you could use it.
  13. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

I know that I am going to anger a few of you Ariska collectors, but I suppose that you will forgive me in the long run.

It has become a tridition that I made a "first" rifle for each of my daughters, and now for each of my grandkids. My second eldest was approaching her 12th birthday so it was time to construct her a good deer rifle. I had a few 6.5s lying around and one of them was very accurate. After doing a little stock work and a recoil pad I had one that that fit her well and would do the job.

The biggest downside was the fact that the ammo was difficult to come by and quite costly. After checking out the cases, I discovered that the 308 case was very similar. I checked some of "Uncle Parkers" books, I found that he indeed did some work with 6.5-308 and decided to convert the old jap to that caliber (before the 260 was in production (6.5-243). It was an easy conversion and 308 brass is everywhere.

I took it out the range and found it to be a quite suitable. Upon returning, I decided that a nice scope and a Timeny trigger with safety would be a nice touch. Again to the range and was pleased with the results. I then reblued and polished it up and had a real nice rifle to present to her on he birthday.

Opening morning she dropped a beautiful 3pt Mulie with it. Since then, she has taken quite a few deer with it and one pronghorn. The old Ariskas in 6.5 are a very well made rifle unlike the "last ditch" 99s produced toward the end of the war.

To my knowledge, All the Japanese rifles were not clip fed except the MGs. I could be wrong.
    Last edited: May 13, 2008
  14. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

It could be a Japanese Carcano.
  15. Full MeTal Jack

928, not going to anger his ol blonde middle aged man. It's your rifle. It's your nickle. In the past I've bought some bubbaed-up rifles and some were customized by a gorillia with a spoon. Sounds like you did a great job and passed it down the family line. Sincere AttA-Boy.
    I sporterized a Swede 38 and gave it to son#2 for his Eagle Scout Rank. Nice rilfe and more accurate than when it was in a military stock.
  16. SGRAVESOK

SGRAVESOK G&G Newbie

Steve Swede, I don't know how many gun shows they have up there in Alaska, but I can usually find several 6.5 & 7.7 Arisakas at the bigger ones here in Tulsa. I just bought a 6.5 at the last show. It has the mum intact and the blueing on the barrel and receiver is in great shape. The gun was filthy-don't think it had been cleaned since 1941. The bore was bright and shiny, though. There were no cracks in the stock and all the parts were there except the dust cover.
    I have seen Arisakas that were in fair shape at just about every show. This one is the best I've seen in about 10 yrs. I paid $235. Hope you find one (some).