How to make a bear claw necklace (cheap)

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by killer, Sep 20, 2007.

1. killer

killer G&G Newbie

I stumbled upon an idea this morning and here's what I got. The great thing is it was fast and cheap.

Here's the finishd product more or less. I'm going to look for some long white and black beads, etcetera to finish it off. Not certain how many actual claws I'm going to use, three to five I guess.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ok start with your claws in the raw form. Best way I found to cut them off is frozen. Stick the paw in a vice and use a hacksaw. Make sure you cut the claw far enough back. Use a box cutter and slowly whittle them down.
    [​IMG]
    Then I took a dremel to them and with a standard cut off disc made a straight cut on top. I used the smaller bit to widen the cut a little and hollow out the inside a little for the hardener to pool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The only thing left to do was insert the fishing swivel, I used size #1, and coat the whole claw with finger nail hardener, making sure you let the hardener run down into the claw to seal the swivel in.
    The claw seems to soak the hardener up so keep applying as many coats as it needs esp to fill the top side hole up.
    Whenever I paint any of my rifle/pistol/shotgun sights I coat them with the same thing which helps them lasts several seasons.
  2. Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave G&G Regular

Very cool killer
  3. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit G&G Enthusiast

Nice job!!!

Another way to hook the swivel into the claw might be some kneadable epoxy putty. I have been using that stuff for everything. Just a suggestion.

I have made some necklaces using walrus teeth and carved some wood feathers and I hide where the hook goes in with a bead.

[​IMG]
  4. Triggerjerk

Triggerjerk G&G Newbie

You should have started out with: First you need a bear... I'm kinda stumped by that part.
  5. killer

killer G&G Newbie

I was thinking of trying J-B weld since it's a fairly neutral color...grey.

What's the stuff you use BunnyWabbit?

Ever see a clear epoxy putty?
  6. BunnyWabbit

[​IMG]

I have used the wood and plastic. That's why I use a bead to cover where the hook goes in, then you don't have to worry about the color. Both are paintable and sandable though. My Dremel was the best thing I ever bought.

All the clear stuff I tried yellowed after a while, and it took a long time to finally setup that it wouldn't pull out. I had experimented with some knife handles out of deer antler. Finally gave up and used the plastic epoxy.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  7. Triggerjerk

Triggerjerk G&G Newbie

Lots of nice beads that would go with bear claws at Tandy Leather Factory. Look on line at their site. Do a "search" for beads and it will take you to that page. Should be what you are looking for. I use them for my leather supplies. Nice beads.
  8. killer

killer G&G Newbie

That's exactly what I'm looking for Triggerjerk....thanks. I must of looked for two hours on line.
  9. Triggerjerk

Triggerjerk G&G Newbie

My pleasure friend. Get enough of us together here and we can work anything out!
  10. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

They're actually local in WA. I can go down to the shop and just pick some up. Thanks, though. :wink1:
  11. killer

killer G&G Newbie

[​IMG]

The finished bear claw necklace on Two Feathers dress.
  12. Triggerjerk

Triggerjerk G&G Newbie

That is fine! I'll bet she liked that.
  13. killer

killer G&G Newbie

Lets just say I got a little afternoon delight for my efforts...
  14. BunnyWabbit

I wouldn't even know where to start to get bear claws. They haven't migrated to Kansas yet.
  15. Triggerjerk

Triggerjerk G&G Newbie

Not that it's the same, but I think Tandy Leather factory has fake claws...you'd have to check this, though.
  16. killer

killer G&G Newbie

They did in the store I went too (plastic) but they looked terrible.

They do sell them on line but spendy. The cheapest I found was $3.00 a piece and that was a bulk rate of 100 claws for $300.00

I was also looking at boar teeth and other items they had such as coyote claws and stuff on line.

Last fall I found a wolf skull and took some pics. I'm going to go back and see if I can find a few claws and take the teeth out of the skull if it's still there. Think I'll try a combination wolf fang with bear claw necklace for myself next.

[​IMG]
  17. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

killer is that the dress you wife wore when yall repeated your wedding vows ?