How to make blanks?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by PONTIACDM, Dec 27, 2009.

1. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

With New Years coming up I thought I would make some blanks. Since I know nothing on the subject I thought I would get some do's and do nots from you guys. It would be 357 blanks I would be putting together. I was thinking I would use a small amount of cotton to keep the powder in. Should I just pick a recipe with the correct powder and use that amount? I don't want to do something stupid so all info welcome. Thanks
  2. CopperniX

CopperniX 34th Infantry Div.

i dont know for sure but when they had the 21 gun salute at my grandpas funeral the blanks they used in the M1 garands looked like an empty shell with something blocking the end of the case opening.
  3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Blanks are generally a charge of a very Fast powder and a small flat cardboard disk sealed in the end with some red laquer (Fingernail polish).
    Still dangerous for over 20 ft...Pyrodex P might be a good choice too.
    You can sharpen some old .38 case mouths on the outside edge and cut cardboard or even thin cork wads with those and a mallet over a board.
  4. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Newbie

I did a few blanks with a 357, but the problem I had was that the primers were backing out and I couldn't rotate my cylinder. Now, I only had primed cases, no powder. I don't know if adding the powder makes a difference as far as that goes.
  5. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

I was going to use Titegroup since that is what I have on hand. I need to know whether to just put the cotton in the tip of the case or push it down to keep the powder together? The gun will be pointed in the air and treated like a loaded weapon.
  6. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Newbie

I Certainly don't know, but it would seem better (if your using cotton) to pack it down to the bottom, allowing better burn, vs. having a bunch in the bottom of the case and then some up towards the top stuck in the cotton. And another though...make sure its cotton, as synthetic fibers will leave sticky residue up the barrel.
  7. travisg96

travisg96 G&G Regular

I don't know if it would make a diference but in a BP revolver pistol they use a wax impregnated disk to hold the powder in place and it is pushed all the way to the back of the cylender. I would say a piece of cotton or dacron with maybe enough hot wax to hold it in place. No matter what you use be prepared to clean it out good since cotton and whatever other fillers you may use will leave residue. Esp if you use pyrodex.
    Travis
  8. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

MidwayUSA has the prelubed 'wonder wads' in .36 caliber for BP pistols - I have some for my wee 'boot pistol'. Should work for the .357 case - hmmm..... I feel the need for some experimentation......
  9. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

The cops may still come and arrest you for discharging a firearm, even with blanks. Depends on the local laws.
  10. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

Lol Ya I know. I'm in the middle of a small city. I wouldn't even think about it. Even though the next city over is hamilton and you here lots of gun fire over there on new years. However you can hear gun fire on a regular night there some nights.
  11. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

I will give you a variation on the blank shells. I had an article many years ago on making practice shells for indoor(no longer approved but this was the 50's) what they did was take a 38 casing drill it out and put in a shotgun primer and pushed it in a pie tin of wax and made wax bullets. You could try it with out the wax to see if load enough for you. The wax bullets are neat they used them in hollywood years ago because they look neat hitting a windshield and they wipe off.
  12. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

So there was no powder used? Just shotgun primer and wax? I might have to try that one of these days.
  13. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

So had to make some for a reason I cant say.

WARNING THESE BLANKS CAN MAIM OR KILL SOMEONE.
    USE OF THIS INFORMATION IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    DO NOT EVER POINT A FIREARM AT SOMETHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO DESTROY.
    If you do manufacture any blank cartridges you assume any and all legal actions and will hold me totally blameless and agree to indeminify any and all legal expenses incurred by me in any and all legal batlles and encounters that occur from your actions.

There are actually 4 different kinds of blanks.
    Full charge, 3/4 charge, 1/2 charge, 1/4 charge.
    These use a normal primer.
    There are four parts of a cartridge. The case the primer the bullet the powder.
    In a blank you replace the bullet with a paper wad to hold the powder in.
    I have used a punched out circle of waxed cardboard to keep the powder in.
    I use a small amout of wax to hold this paper wad in.
    You use what ever amount of gunpowder you need for the effect you want.
    If you want sparks out of the gun barrel I have used sifted saw dust to simulate it.
    Simply load your gunpowder to the amount you want and pack sawdust on top of it.
    This will burn so be careful where you shoot it.

The different loads are normally used in the following manner.
    1/4 load is for indoor shooting. It makes a noise but will not deafen someone.
    1/2 load is if you want a louder bang or the minimum for outdoor use.
    3/4 load is for outdoor use or if you use the sparks as mentioned above.
    Full load is the most dangerous and normally is not used except with commerical rounds.
    If you use only a primer and no gunpowder you can still put a hole in a piece of paper at about 15 to 20 feet.
    With gunpowder in it you can put a hole in a piece of paper at up to 50 feet.
    Blanks are DANGEROUS and should NEVER be pointed at a person NO MATTER WHAT.

You have to remember commercial blank rounds have a crimped end. This ensures the powder stays in, that no one can put any kind of a projectile in it and it makes the BANG louder.

Dummy rounds are cartridges that have NO POWDER and NO PRIMER.
    Do not use dummy rounds that have fired primers. These can be mixed up with rounds that have hangfires and you will have a potentially dangerous situation.
    If you remove the primer you know they are dummy rounds.

Two very famous people have died because of blank rounds.
    Brandon Lee was killed when a dummy round had an unfired primer in it.
    The bullet was fired by the prmer but because there was no powder it lodged in the handguns barrel.
    When a blank was used in the handgun a few days later it shot the stuck bullet out of the handgun into Brandon Lee causeing his death.

Jon Erik Hexum killed himself when he took a .44 Magnum loaded with blanks and pointed at his head and pulled the trigger. The blast crushed his skull and caused his death.

Also need to note; The use of blanks in a firearm or even in a blank fireing gun can be considered a discharge of a firearm. You can go to jail or be shot by a police officer when using them without the proper permits or permissions.
    Just thought Id say that as well.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  14. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I have rubber .40 cal bullets that use nothing but a regular small pistol primer.

Still penetrated a wood door on me inside the house.:banghead:
  15. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Newbie

I have seen blanks fired a 38 revolver, where the guy was shooting plastic (Speer) bullets, into 2" of rigid styrofoam, at about 20'. (He was using just a primer, with NO powder. The plastic bullet went about 1-1/2" into the foam. But, it was loud, could definitely hurt somebody, made a lot of noise & the police still consider it "discharging a firearm!" (Don't try blanks in an automatic. It won't work!)
  16. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

blanks do work in auto and semi-auto. you just need the "blank firing adapter" it blocks part of the barrel to build enough pressure to cycle the rifle.
    there's a thread on a reloading forum i go to once in a while about "glueblets". you take a bullet mold and fill it with hot glue. then load a primed case with no powder and your glue bullet. not meant for rifles though.
    as far as the blanks in city limits thing, you don't really want to spend new years day watching the football game through cell bars, do you?
    if you want to make a bunch of noise and piss off your neighbors, just get an air horn. it's safer and way more annoying!
  17. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Seems easier to just buy a blank gun or starters pistol and some blanks. lol

Here's some ammo in/for 9mm.

50 Rds. 9 Mm Blank Gun Ammo, Pistol Ammunition, Military/Surplus at Sportsman's Guide

And since I don;t know where you live and because others might think, hey, that's a good idea, I'll shoot off some blanks on New Years, might I suggest you check any city or county ordinances?

Because even though blanks, it's still firing a weapon and most cities have an ordinance that says you can't or aren't suppose to fire a gun within city limits.

It's a different subject but it's why I get mad that I had to use my FOID card to buy a pellet gun. Because then technically if or when I'm in my back yard shootin' cans, a cop could arrest me for firing a gun within city limits, technically...

Just check CYA is all I'm trying to say...All it takes is one neighbor, unless you live in a rural area, to call and complain and say they heard gun shots. No one but you and whoever else might be there knows they're blanks. When the cops get and go on a call they have no idea... They go with the belief it's a real gun with real bullets...
  18. twtalbot

twtalbot G&G Newbie

I remember Bill Jordan writing about his wax-bullet practice and demonstration rounds. He didn't use shotgun primers though. He drilled out the flash holes slightly and used magnum pistol primers.

I don't remember where I saw it but one of the major reloading suppliers makes a die for making "crimp" style blanks that won't need a wad.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  19. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

These aren't blanks. They are wax practice rounds. They will penetrate.

I saw this at Cast Boolits.

Patriotic Duty... - Page 2 - Cast Boolits

I'm thinking it could be done with MUCH less powder.