I am going to buy a Nagant.

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by god&guns, Sep 30, 2010.

1. god&guns

god&guns G&G Newbie

well boys, Im gunna need your help on this. it looks like im going to be buying a Mosin Nagant. lets start out with some questions i need you all to help answer for me.

ok for one I am looking at a m91/30 hex for $90. this one Mosin-Nagant 91/30 Hex receiver rifle, 7.62x54R caliber.

is this a good deal? and how accurate can they be with commi surplus ammo?

How easyly can the extractor break when useing steel cased ammo?

how do I clean it after useing corrsive ammo?

and whats the best scope mount for it?

And if there is a more accurate Mosin for about the same price, please tell me.

HELP ME OUT HERE GUYS! THERE IS SO MUCH TO LEARN!
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

SIGH, why must I keep repeating this????

[​IMG]
  3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Number 1...Any hex for 90 bucks is pretty much a good deal. Now the question is do you have a C&R where they can ship it straight to you? Because with a shipping and transfer fee to someone with an FFL, we're talking about 50 bucks added to that 90 dollars.

Number 2...I have shot steel cased ammo in 10 different Mosin Nagants, and have never had an extractor break. Who told you this was a problem?

Number 3...Hot soapy water is probably the best way to clean corrosive residues, though I just usually swab them out with patches and Windex, then give them a normal cleaning.

Number 4...The best scope mount is probably a drill and tap one, though you will probably have to also get a bent bolt if you go that route. Since I frown on doing a permanent change to my Mosins, I went with a Scout scope mount and long eye relief pistol scope. That way I can reconvert it back to stock if I ever want to sell it. (Though I can't imagine why I would sell one)

Number 5....No there is probably no cheaper ones out there with better accuracy. I would go with Finns if you want better accuracy, but they are not cheap.
  4. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Well, Yes its a REALLY good deal. There not a match rifle if thats what your wanting to know. They can be fairly accurate though. Though I wouldn't want to go trying to break any records lol
    I dont think you will have to worry about the exrtractor these are super tough guns.
    I clean mine with hoppes # 9 thoroughly after firing.

Wouldn't no about the scope mount but from what i hear Jmecks is a pretty good one.

And no way man ANY Mosin Nagant for 90 bucks is a great deal. The more accurate Finnish capture and such are usually a significant amount more. Depends on where you go but for 90 bucks its not even a question if I were you I would already own it lol
  5. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

not much to add to those responces.
    what type of scope you want to put on it? long eye relief or conventional?
  6. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

You are right, any Mosin for $90 is a good deal granted it is shootable. However, there is one discrepancy here though with the term "Finnish capture" Mosins. Finnish capture Mosins are Mosins that are just [SA] stamped. They still are in original configuration (namely Russian), but have the Finn property stamp on it [SA]. They were deemed satisfactory for Finn use, and the barrels were not replaced. Finnish "made" Mosins use "captured" or otherwise acquired Russian, or foreign (either French Chatellerault, or US made Remington/New England Westinghouse) M91 receivers with Finn made barrels on them. There are also Dragoon and 91/30 receivers utilized as well (did not mention ex-Dragoons since all ex-Dragoons were born Dragoons). Checking the tang date can determine this on a Finn Mosin. There should be a distinction made so there is no confusion about a Finn capture, or a Finn Mosin. Of course, Finn Mosins can have the [SA] stamp, but will have the Finnish arsenal or Finn markings on the barrel shank.
  7. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

But if they were Satisfactory for Finnish use then they are still more accurate than a Regular Russian or whoever else's right?.....And regardless of the new barrel or not they are still considered Finns and are usually a bit pricier correct? I not trying to be a smart ass or anything Im actually asking legitimate questions.
  8. god&guns

god&guns G&G Newbie

I heard it from a guy who said on the first shot he was pulling the bolt back and the extractor just snapped right off. He went the the gunsmith and he the smith said it was the steel cased ammo he was useing.
  9. god&guns

god&guns G&G Newbie

conventional
  10. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

These rifles were made to shoot steel case ammo, so I don't see it as a problem.
  11. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

GNG, I think you will thoroughly enjoy your Nagant rifle! You are getting a superior deal on a great rifle. I own several NAGANT:dance: rifles and have also shot a couple of Gannie's NAGANT rifles.

Sorry, I really just wanted to annoy Gannie!
  12. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Enthusiast

I would suggest going either with a JMeck scope mount (he is a member on here) or if you don’t mind drilling and tapping the receiver you can get one from Rock Solid Ind. (http://www.rocksolidind.com/Mosin%20Nagant.html ). I would stay away from ATI anything; there are too many better options out there that I couldn’t suggest them. Anyways if you go with a conventional scope you are going to have to get a bent bolt if you get the JMeck mount you can use a Boltman’s bent bolt or if you go with Rock Solid they have a bolt that you can wield on yourself or you can buy one of theirs, they are kind of pricey but in my opinion how you mount your optics is one area that you should not try to skimp on. I have the Rock Solid mount and bolt and I am very happy with it, but I think my next will be a JMeck mount. Both are good mounts and will give you years of use. I hope this helps you in making you decision.
  13. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

An [SA] stamp doesn't mean a captured rifle is necessarily super accurate, but it was good enough for the Finns, so it must have been pretty accurate at any rate. And yes, a MN with Finn stamps, whether it's an [SA], D or other Finn stamp, then it's a Finn Mosin of some sort. It just depends on if it's a Finn capture, or has a Finn barrel installed on it. The [SA] stamp is a Finnish property mark, so technically a Finn capture and a Mosin with a Finn barrel, is a Finn Mosin. Price is usually higher on Finn Mosins as well, especially specific Finn models.
  14. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Nah Tex, I know you're just doing it to yank my chain.;)
  15. A7XFREAK

A7XFREAK G&G Newbie

What's your average hex receiver run? I think my friend got his for like....$110 maybe? Not 100% on this. I think he did some research and his is an Ex-Dragoon. Not many matching numbers though. Which is partly why I love mine....all matching numbers.
  16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I don't know, I bought my first hex for $69.95, but that was before you know who got elected.
  17. god&guns

god&guns G&G Newbie

are there any cheap scout scopes out there? I think I may just get a bent bolt later on after I get done smithing it when I have some more cash. oh yes, and I checked and shipping is $17:15 and the transfer fee is $25. so does this sound like a buy to you guys? anything els I should know or you want to add?
  18. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Well, if you get a scout scope set up you don't need a bent bolt. And for 5 bucks more you could have had your C&R license and not needed to pay that transfer fee, and gotten discounts on supplies and stuff from Graf And Sons, Midway, etc. And saved on any further C&R gun purchases.

But that probably is the cheapest you will find a hex for unless you go private sales.
  19. god&guns

god&guns G&G Newbie

I dont know if you know this or not but I am 14. I dont really see mom and dad getting a C&R. but, they are fine with getting another rifle as a home gunsmthing project (for I am homschooled) because of the fact that it is so cheap. I am also buying MY first pistol a little after christmas. a 1911 chambered in 9mm. cant wait. oh, and if you dont mind YOU are going to be my Mosin Nagant guy Im gunna go to for help. thanks!
  20. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Nope, didn't know. But is mom or pop going to get to pick it up for you? Whoever you're paying the transfer fee to isn't going to hand it over to a 14 year old kid.