I Quit!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Brother Bob, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Well, after 45 days of employment at Lowe's, I told them to pack sand! This is the 1st job I've ever ran from! I've been gainfully employed for 44 years and this is the only job that I couldn't do. The hours sucked, the training sucked, the pay sucked, and the management sucked. What was there not to like about working at Lowe's? I'd be pulled to cover flooring, plumbing, hardware, run a register, load merchandise into customer's cars, unload semis, go retrieve carts, etc. Plus, I was required to take care of customers in electrical, which is seven aisles of the store that are spread out! I was supposed to receive 30 days of training before they threw me to the wolves. I received 7 days........ When your own associates tell you your getting the short end of the stick, it's time to find better employment. The company has a 33+% turnover rate in employment.......... I'm surprised it's that low! I think they lied to me......... I started off on the killing floor of my uncle's slaughterhouse when I was 12 years old. That would be a vacation compared to being employed at Lowe's! Even the people that work there hate the job. I contribute this to a combination of piss-poor management and corporate greed. There was more stuff stolen in the electrical dept. than purchased. Of course this "shrinkage" counted against us, yet there was no way to be on every aisle at once when you were the only one covering the whole damn store! I have two interviews scheduled this week for "real jobs." I don't need to work, but thought I'd go ahead and remain "gainfully employed" until I reach 66 years of age. If I'd stayed at Lowe's, I'd never reached 56 years of age! By the way, May 18th is my birthday. Anyone wanting to send me a present, PM me. I'll give you my address! LOL!
  2. waterdog

waterdog G&G Newbie

Heres a present for last years birthday (advise) never, never seek employment at LOWE'S ................................................ Sorry so late , will be working on this years , will get right back to ya.
  3. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

wow well glad to see you got out of there. Good luck with your job interviews! let us know how they go.
  4. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

Dang Brother Bob! Home Depot sounds better and better.

Dang again. I think the 18th makes you a Taurus too. Should of figured. LOL!
  5. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

That is disappointing I looked forward to Home Depot or Lowes as a retirement job, somewhere I can talk to people and share a life time of home improvement experience. Bummer.
  6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

You dang right I'm bull headed! LOL! I take pride in my work. Lowe's was there to make sure that I was incompetent as hell in what I did. I won't short change anyone I do business with. To me, it's unethical, but in toaday's corporate society, it's business as usual.
  7. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

Some of us are born bull headed brother man! I love that Home Depot treated lumber culls in all 2x forms for 51 cents a board. LOL
  8. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

Well, dang! My Job sucks, and I was thinking about Lowes as a backup plan.
  9. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Enthusiast

kudos on having the courage of your convictions. Well done.
  10. LeftHandShooter

LeftHandShooter G&G Enthusiast

I've been at Lowe's for over 12 years and I still look forward to going to work EVERY day!
    I do everything you said you did plus more, and I enjoy it! Yesterday I pulled (by hand) 16 double stacked skids of insulation from receiving to building materials while asking customers if they needed help on the way (and helping!) and still had a great day!

Lowe's is a great place to work, and I plan on being there for many more years, especially with the new programs they are rolling out!
  11. shop tom

shop tom G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

It would be interesting for your "quit" post to be emailed to your store manager.

tom
  12. Rambo

Rambo Your worst nightmare Forum Contributor

I was hoping to work at a Sportsmans Warehouse in Minnesota when I retire because I like the outdoors. Too late. They closed them up there.
  13. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Landlubber Pirate Forum Contributor

BroBob, what ever you do, don't go to home depot. They work the same way as lowes if not worse. My kid works at home depot and hates it. He has been there for 2 years and is still part time. Only gets 4 hours a day and a bi-weekly (weakly) pay period. They will hire off the street full time but keep the ones that have been there part time. When they do promote to full time positions it is the ones that kiss the managers arse that go to full time. High turn over rate and the ones that do stay hate it there. He says the managment sucks. They bring in a college boy for managment and if he kisses arse he moves on to a bigger store, and bring in another college boy for managment. He has had other employees who do nothing pawn customers off on him when he is in the middle of helping another customer. They told him at one time he was going to be moved up to full time and put in garden, it never happened. They hired off the street and the one they hired was the son of a contractor who spent a lot of money at the store.

Home depot also has a high theft rate. The drug addicts rip the store off and then bring what they rip off back and return it for cash. My kid said a drug addict came in and was lookin at a lawn mower. My kid was paged and when he came back the guy was tryin to steal it. Home depot doesn't prossecute either.

So if you want the same as lowes go to home depot. They are about the same.

:swordfight:
  14. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Enthusiast

Good for you!!
  15. Earl Easter

Earl Easter G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Well Bob if your anything like me you may feel let down by yourself..
    Not the case as I see it. Lowe's had my application via computer at there store and I would imagine the reason I never got called was I specifically said no nights no weekend...LOLrotflmao.....Dummy me right... I figured if they don't need me
    cause of my hours and days that I was willing to work.... Buck em...

I still fill out applications and would love a job at a car dealership picking up parts or driving those that have to leave a car or truck for a day for repair back home.
    I have come close but nothing yet. So it's back to cooking, cleaning scrubbing the toilets and taking care of the house with no pay till something comes my way..LOL

Good Luck Bob and remember it will get harder to get a part time job or full time job when the college students get out of school.....
  16. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Dear Brother Bob

Perhaps it is not that you quit but rather Lowe's failed management created a world in which no sane person can stay!

My now grown children each tried retail while in college as a money making effort. I see things have not changed for the better. It was everything you describe. No one knew anything because no training happened due to the chaos. The only reason the cash registers worked is that Wally World would only hire checkers with previous experience. For everyone else it was a matter of being jerked around until you finally became a department manager. Of course, that is really just a title for keeping up with how much to order. It mattered not at all that you knew nothing about the products thus could not answer even the simplest of questions.

Retail in America has pretty much become the Sonic Drive-In, convenience store world of a new crew each Monday morning.
  17. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

I could name a telecom company you could go to work for, if you REALLY want to go insane! But we'd probably read about you in the papers......
  18. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Enthusiast

And here I thought that was called...........multi-tasking.
  19. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

And the nice turd topping on the pile of doo, you don't even get a discount as an employee. I've heard many horror stories of both Lowe's and Home Depot when it comes to their treatment of employees. You are better off without them.
  20. cjleete

cjleete G&G Enthusiast

Ok, where do I send the box of tissues? Just kidding, not surprised to hear that it sucked. Retail in general sucks, unless you are the owner.