Idea for an SKS target stock

Discussion in 'SKS' started by BattleRifleG3, Nov 17, 2005.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

Not sure what this would do to C&R status, but I was thinking, since many of us have found very good accuracy with our SKSs, and some of the accurizing techniques involve adapting how the stock connects to the rifle, why not make a stock designed from the start to get maximum accuracy out of an SKS? It would have a steeper grip for better control, a free floated barrel (if possible), and a longer LOP in order to space the shooter's eye more conservatively from the scopes, which due to being far enough back to avoid the stripper clips, have a way of hitting some shooters. Stock would most likely add a bit of weight to the gun, particularly in the rear, reducing recoil and moving the balance back, which some M59/66 folks might like. And unlike most other sporter stocks that lack the foresight, this one would have a groove to accomodate a bayonet without contacting it, which torques the barrel.

Not trying to make it into a poor man who can't keep from becoming poorer man's assault rifle, but there are folks who've gotten MOA out of theirs, and I frequently hear about 2moa. That and the low cost of ammunition would make this a fun and accurate rifle for casual, low recoil, semi-auto marksmanship. All with a drop-in stock that can be easily swapped out for the original.

So what say ye to that, eh me hearties?
  2. iflylow74

iflylow74 G&G Newbie

Sounds good to me. I wonder how much something like that would run?
  3. BattleRifleG3

If it came from me, it would be about $100, but would be well featured, shaped, and finished. Would depend on what sort of bedding were involved.
  4. Lonegun1894

Lonegun1894 G&G Newbie

sounds good to me, BRG
  5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

<Quote from BRG3>Tough line to follow between advertising and discussing products, but try to keep the forum's ad policy in mind. Just a heads up, not a scolding, no editing done, just asking you to keep it in mind. I too develop new and exciting things to market and try to keep well within bounds myself.

Just ribbing you, BRG3....
    :D
  6. BattleRifleG3

You all know how much I talk about this stuff, regardless of whether or not it ever happens.
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I've considered a true sporter/target stock too. The problem with floating the barrel is that the flange on the barrel attaches it up front - so we need a different method! I'd lose the bayo altogether - no need on a target/hunting rifle.
  8. BattleRifleG3

Alternate stock attachment methods are my speciality ;)