I'm done with Top Shot

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Martin Rage, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Martin Rage

Martin Rage G&G Enthusiast

This season was worse then the first. I'm disgraced by all these "honorable" military fu*&tards. Its just 100% reality show now. Voting after teams are gone? I'm glad I watched them online because I'm done with the "history" channel.
  2. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

I watched some of the first season, and I couldn't stand how Brady Bunch they were with the firearms. It is great to be safe with firearms, but the show treated the firearms like they were some evil incarnate brought back from the afterlife. And the whole: "This show is filmed on a closed course with professionals. Don't try this at home." Ok, so I can't shoot plates, bottles or targets with my rifle because I am not what they would consider a professional? lol
  3. CopperniX

CopperniX 34th Infantry Div.

I liked the first season and today I watched the one with the 1000 yard shot on the new season. I have to say this second group just seems to be real cocky.
  4. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

Heh, that is the other thing. I can't stand people who are pompous and believe they are God's gift. I appreciate a bit of show of sincere humility every now and then.
  5. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

All of the "real" snipers I ever met, all services included, were quiet humble individuals, who always tried to downplay their talent for sending bullets down range. The idjits on Topshot all seem to have the sort of ego I would expect in a Navy pilot. Rather overblown, and I'm better than you egos wouldn't do worth a damn in a real sniper scenario. Even the special forces keep their egos under control, whether or not they have them. The guys on Topshot seem to be a bunch of wannabes!
  6. pcman312

pcman312 G&G Regular

Do remember that a lot of the tension that you get from the show is from the editing after the fact. If you watch and listen carefully you can hear slight edits in people talking. Plus, any time that someone is talking but not on screen or you can't directly tell what they're saying, it could easily have been edited to make it more "dramatic". Here's a good video outlining this really well:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBwepkVurCI]YouTube - Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe - Reality TV Editing[/ame]

As for the disclaimer, they have to put that there for legal reasons. It's more of a "if you decide to do something like this, it's your own fault if you get hurt" statement.
  7. Rambo

Rambo Your worst nightmare Forum Contributor

It's TV, not reality. It's all rehearsed and staged for the entertainment of those who cannot find anything better to do with their lives. Life goes on....
  8. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member Founder

I like it!

Chris Tilley is up at the local gun shop / range all the time. Great guy, and very nice.
  9. pcman312

pcman312 G&G Regular

I personally don't really care about the personality conflicts that they make up, I just enjoy the challenges. A friend of mine and I are thinking of recreating some of the challenges or making up ones that are inspired by the ones on the show.
  10. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Well, I would guess a lot of the conflict is made up to make it interesting for the reality TV fans. But on the second series, I came to dislike the golf guy Jay, in no time at all. I do enjoy watching the challenges, but the petty BS is almost TOO much to stomach!!
  11. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

I always enjoy it, like reality tv it is edited for drama.
  12. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

Thinking about it now, I don't much care anyway.

Deadliest Catch starts next week. That will take the place of any other Reality Shows that have been on recently. Heh.
  13. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I watch the show , not for the drama , but to watch other shooters in action in the competitions and to watch especially the slow motion shots of guns firing and bullets in flight. AT LEAST it is a pro gun show on TV in this day and age of so Much anti-gun Liberalism , and it shows guns in a positive light to the American Public. The same as "Sons of Guns" does as far as Military type weapons, silencers, flamethrowers , etc. I laugh when the Guy says "dont try this at home"...because some of us are just as qualified if not More qualified to repair and build weapons like he does...and test fire them.
    I also know there are a lot of Bubba Boneheads out there walking among us who won't heed that warning.
  14. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

I watched the first few episodes of the first season and after I saw how it was set up to eliminate the competitors I was turned off. To much like the other reality shows. Now there is another show on Sportsman channel I think that is called shooters. It is set up in two man teams and they are given shooting scenarios like you would find in hunting. Shooting moving Deer targets at various distances, birds, jumping rabbits, shooting prarie dogs with pistols and rifles. The two teams with the lowest scores compete in the elimination challenge and the one with the lowest score goes home. None of this plotting and scheming to eliminate the best shooters because they are a threat to you nonsense that is on that Top Shot.
    I tried looking it up online on the Sportsman Channel but it's not listed anymore. Must have ended the season.
  15. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The gang that is left there now after the concentrated effort to undermine Jay and Jamie although another shooter performed dismally, can only lead me to characterize them as backstabbers. I certainly would not want to be in the position of needing to trust them, because now it clearly has nothing to do with the "TOP SHOT".
  16. Cross Hair

Cross Hair G&G Newbie

I like it after it gets to the final 7 or so and every man has to stand on his/her own abilities.... the voting folks off the show is reality drama crap but it seems to be a key ingredient in those type of shows so whatta ya' do!

They do some real neat shoots and inspire some of the ranges I plan on setting up on my property this summer LOL! Shooting plates will probably really make my wife mad!
  17. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

It is nothing more than the young and the restless for men . Personally I find it in very poor taste and not at all educational .
  18. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Newbie

Edit out all of the reality TV BS conflict personal crap and just leave the shooting part. Then it would be a good show. I wasexcted when I first heard about it then extremely disappointed when I saw that it was being done in stupid Survivor reality TV style format. It couls have been a great show now it just a show that has about 10 minutes of good wathcing and 40 minutes of BS.

Michael
  19. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Actually , it was a very strategic move to keep the worst guy around until the end...For 100,000 bucks , i would want the worst guy as my competition.
    Jay was pretty good pistol shot for an arrogant little so and so...
  20. rob g

rob g G&G Regular

I record it on my dvr so i can fast forward through the bs and just watch the challenges.