Im New here Looking At A Rossi 357 Mag Revolver

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by WildBill1260, Oct 4, 2008.

1. WildBill1260

WildBill1260 G&G Newbie

Hello Everyone.
    I am new here and I need a little feed back on the Rossi 357 Mag.I have looked at them at Rossi.com and I really like the looks of them.I have been doing some reasearch online and sofar I have found more good than bad.Anyone here have any feedback on them.Either the 4in or 6in.I will probably go with the 4in(971)for CCW.But I would consider a 6in(972)if I could conceal it in a shoulder holster.

Thanks
    WildBill1260 :feedback:
  2. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I haven't heard much good or bad in regards to Rossi myself. Have you looked at or considered a Ruger SP101 in .357? Or is it the price of the Rossi that has you looking at it?
  3. WildBill1260

WildBill1260 G&G Newbie

Just so you know I am disabled and the price is within my budget.I have a budget of 400 to 450.I found a Rossi 971 for $275.I havent went to look at it yet my best friend had went by there and saw it and gave me a call.I used to reload all my rounds several years ago and got out of it in 97 when I kinda quite dump trucking and went to driving over the road and didnt have time for it.I want to reaload again.I always owned Ruger and bought a couple of Norinco's in the past and all were 380 and 9mm.I have been looking at the Ruger's and S&W's autos as well as revolvers,and from everything I have read so far the Rossi is a good gun also and really not that expensive,new or used.I really do like the SP101 that you mentioned but finding one in my smaller buget will be a little tough.My budget will be for weapon,holster,and a box or two of rounds.Then maybe Santa would be nice to me and bring me a new Reload setup for Christmas.When I broke my back the second time the Dr's discovered I have Degenerative Disc and Joint disease as well as some other problems and during that time I needed the money and sold all my guns and man I loved that old P85 and both my 10/22's all the rest(the Norincos)were good weapons but they were not my pride and joy.The wife is a nurse and was doing all she could but it wasnt enough.Now we are stable and we have no weapons (Except 3 good knives and I dont really want to go hand to hand these days) in the house and I want to put a good handgun back in here not just for selfdefense but something I can take out back and send a few rounds down range and it wont break the bank to shoot or reload.If any of you have any questions please feel free to ask.If its to personal I wont answer:) lol

They Call Me WildBill WB for short :usa2:
  4. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

no experience with the rossi 357........

but i've seen rossi 38 snubby's that have seemed to have held up wll over time with some shooters i know......

i think rossi has lifetime warranties nowadays..........

i sure do miss that little .22 copy revolver they had years back----sure was an affordable version of the smith 63.
  5. privateer

privateer G&G Newbie

I had two ss Rossi 357's a few years back, I never had a problem with them, they shot every time and were better then some and not as good as others ,If I had to grade them, I would call them a mid level revolver.
  6. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

My shooting buddy has the Rossi .357 Magnum in 4" stainless steel. He likes it a lot. It's as fine a looking revolver as a Colt or SW, and it has never failed him. Shoots any factory or reloads he feeds it. It's had a lot of rounds through it - it's no 'safe queen'.
    If I didn't already have my Ruger, I'd definitely consider the Rossi seriously.
  7. WildBill1260

WildBill1260 G&G Newbie

Ok Thanks for the info.
  8. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

Rossi and Taurus are one in the same and are great guns. They have a lifetime warranty. If your budget is $400 to $450 you could get that Ruger SP 101 but to answer your question, Rossi is a good gun at a lot cost.
  9. johnnyusa

johnnyusa G&G Newbie

i had a rossi .357 mag revolver for a while. i dont remember the model but it was a short nosed stainless with rubber grip. i liked it pretty good, never had any trouble with it. i didnt shoot it alot, mybe 30-50 rounds total, but during that time it showed no sign of any problems, and it seemed to be well built. i had the impression that it would have stood the test of time pretty well. a friend of mine is now the owner, and he says he likes it too. i wouldnt rule out the purchse of another one sometime. however, it was quite possibly the LOUDEST gun i have ever fired. .357 magnums are always gonna be loud, especially a snubby, but this particular one seemed louder than most for some reason. i didnt neccesarily consider it a problem, but i thought i would pass it on.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  10. oldhunter

oldhunter G&G Newbie

Have owned a model 971, 6" .357 mag. and a model 88, 2" .38 sp. for over 10 years and can only say that they have both performed very well with the 971 an excellent shooter. The .38 is carried by my wife and she can keep all shots within 4" at 7 yards. Every gun show I attend I look for another quality Rossi. Would love to find a Rossi .44 sp. priced right (cheap) but everytime I see one at the shows, they are seeking premium prices.

oldhunter
  11. beejmyster

beejmyster G&G Newbie

I own a 357 Rossi and I love it have shot over 1000 rounds thru it and no miss fires, I carry mine wherever I go.
  12. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

I just purchased a used Rossi M971 .357 4" SS for $279. After having looked around town this was the best value I could find. It seems like a very solid piece, it looks just like a S&W or Colt or RUGER for about half the price. I have yet to shoot it. The posts on this forum have been very encouraging. I cant wait to put some rounds through it. Ill make a posting or start a new thread once i pick it up next week with some pics and follow up with a range report.
  13. blat

blat G&G Newbie

I have a stainless Rossi 462 357 snub, and a stainless Rossi M92 16" lever gun, and can find no fault with either.