Info. Needed About H&R Pardner Pump Shotguns

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ArkansasHunter, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Hello members and guest I'm searching for information about H&R Pardner
    pump action shotguns.
    I've been wanting a small 20ga. pump shotgun for a while and the Pardner maybe what I'm looking for.
    It is scaled to 20ga size.
    The one I want has the Walnut stocks but it comes with synthetic stocks too.
    This gun is cheap to buy, WalMart sells them for $188.00 and as i type this I'm waiting for the friend who owns a Pawn and Gun shop to call and quote me a price.
    I read some where these are identical to the remington 870 except for the squared receiver.

Any information you may have would be appreciated.
  2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

From what I saw of them,you better quit looking at them and look for a Mossy 500 or Rem. 870. they dont look too good or feel to good when you work the action.Might be okay but I just cant believe they will hold up. sam.
  3. ArkansasHunter

We'll see I went a head and ordered one from the friend for $ 189.00 I want to see what these guns look like and feel like.
    No one around here is stocking them and I want to check them out.
    If I don't like it I'll go trade for a Mossberg or give it away to someones kid.
    And besides the 22 I have hid under the bed is lonesome. LOL...LOL !!!! :09: A.H
  4. ArkansasHunter

I picked up the H&R-NEF Pardner Pump shotgun today and I must say the 2 guys at the store and I were shocked !!!
    The NEF-H&R Pardner Pump I bought is the 20ga. 26" barrel Adult model but it is scaled down in size thats makes it more befitting to the caliber.
    The only words I can think of is, this shotgun is as cute as a speckled pup.
    If you didn't know it's Imported from China, knowing this I ordered it anyway because I'd been wanting a 20ga. pump for years but I didn't want a 12ga. receiver with a 20 ga. barrel.

What shocked us about this neat little shotgun was the, what seemed high quality craftsmanship or machineing that went into building it.
    As far as looks it looks well made. We'll see.

Weather permit I'll go shoot a box of #6's through it tomarrow and when more money comes available LOL I'll shoot some buck shot and slugs through it.

OH the stocks are American Walnut without any checkering and that really appeals to me.
    Working the slide is smooth and tight, meaning it's not loose and does not rattle any.
    It appears very solid.

I searched the Internet for weeks reading all the available Information about the pardner pump and to my relief everybody liked theres and most said they would buy another one.
    My understanding is the parts are shipped to H&R-NEF and the guns are assembled in the U.S. and the stocks are made here, so thats good to know.

Stay tuned ...A.H
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  5. andrew cochran

andrew cochran G&G Newbie

I am glad you like it. I haven't bought one yet. However after reading this it might go a little higher on my list. I am glad to hear it isn't a 12 guage frame because I've read that it was. Good luck!
  6. ArkansasHunter

I wish I could post a picture of it and show yall in detail what this shotgun looks like.
    It has gotton excellent eye appeal and as I said above the workmanship is as good as your going to get.
    Again I lucked out, mine has nice figuring in the Walnut stocks too.

But whats important will it cycle the shells and pattern straight ?

There is a very long post at another site where a rich kid had his metal urlugist father
    disect a Pardner pump 12ga. and a Remington 870 and after testing the 2 shotguns there was very very little differences in the 2 but the pardner had better fitting parts in some areas.
    The metal was equal to or better in the pardner.
    I bought this gun for a truck gun or a bangger but it's to nice for that.
    When I bought the Mossberg 930 semi-auto I was going to use it for a bangger, but No WAY will I do that to these now, there just to nice LOL.

The paper work that came with my 20ga. said Mossberg, Winchester and Browning choke tubes can be used in this gun and the 12ga. model will accecept the same brand ckoke tubes.

For the record since I've been a member here theres been quite a few members inquire about a cheap or low priced shotgun they could afford.
    I bellieve this one is so well made it beats all the others in it's price range as far as quality and workmanship.
    If it shoots good then a need has been met...A.H
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Congratulations.Glad you like it.I have seen a couple and they dont look that bad.The M500 Mossy and M870 Rem. in .20ga are 20ga frames also,not .12ga. sam.
  8. ArkansasHunter

Thank you samuel. I knew Mossberg had a 20ga pump appropritly sized but I thought remington did away with theres. I don't know.
    The 20ga. came out late in 2006 I think I read and that may explain why it's tight and so nice.
    I wish it was made in another country though...A.H
  9. Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave G&G Regular

I agree with your conclusion AH I bought one of these in 12 gauge for my son last year. it has had hundreds of rounds through it over the summer of trap shooting (as we go at least one weekend a month) and during the fall and winter hunts. there has been no problems with it and i like the way it patterens on all of the chokes. dont know about others experinces but we have one can send pictures of it and to date it has been just as reliable and smooth as my 870 (though time will tell on that as i have had the 870 for 20 years). In fact I am in the market for a 20 gauge for my youngest and I have already decided I would get another one of these.
  10. ArkansasHunter

I've learned recently that 870 barrels will not fit on a NEF Pardner Pump.
    They can be altered to work but the story I read refused to tell what you had to alter...A.H
  11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The one thing that might be different is the part behind the breech may be too long to let the lockup enguage.This sometimes happens with 500Mossys and 870Rem,s.I have seen it even with barrels mfg,d by the same Co.All you have to do is install the barrel and if it doesnt fire or comes unlocked and the slide comes back when fired,take a file and file the end of the piece that extends into the action back just a little until the lock goes in the hole easily.I am not sure if this is the case with 870 bbls on a pardner but it could be. sam.
  12. ArkansasHunter

My friend and neighbor came over yesterday while I was cleaning my front yard and ask me if I wanted to go shooting and of course I said Heck Yea !!!!

I told him lets go in my truck because I wanted to use the 4 wheel drive because it hadn't been used in a while.

I took along the H&R-NEF Pardner Pump 20ga. and an AR-15 to shoot and I would of taken along the new to me Mosin Nagant but I didn't think about that gun.

This story is a range report for the Pardner Pump so I wish for everyone to know that my neighbor and I shot one box of Remington #6 through this shotgun.

The gun patterned very good, the trigger pull was good and the action though tight was also smooth and non binding.
    It was an excellent shooter and fun to shoot !!!

My friend liked it as much as I did.

The price for these shotguns are affordable for most all budgets and I honestly can't see where anyone would go wrong in buying one, if they needed a shotgun.

The Internet is full of excellent reports about the 12ga.'s and I'd like to say the 20ga. is a winner too...A.H
  13. mudslinging79

mudslinging79 G&G Newbie

ive got the pardner in the 12 guage, synthetic stock short barrel, and i love it. it was a gift for fathers day, and imho opinion it is better than any shotgun i could buy.
  14. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Enthusiast

I bought my boy one this fall ,New from a Pawn Shop here in Kotzebue Alaska $129.00 synthetic stock rib barrel, 3"chamber, choke tube. allot of shotgun for the money.
  15. s rosenthal

s rosenthal G&G Newbie

I've been asking on other blogs, but it seems some of you have shot quite a bit with the Pardner Pump. Any of you had occasion to disassemble the gun. If so, is it any different than the 870, which is the only gun you can find decent disassembly info on that apparently is basically the same as the Pardner Pump.
  16. big horn

big horn G&G Newbie

hey i got a NEF pardner pump 12 ga. for christmas.im wanting to get a rifled slug barrel but dont know which ones will fit it.
  17. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Contact H&R/Marlin or talk to a gunsmith. ,,,sam.
  18. Huntinfamily

Huntinfamily G&G Newbie

I bought my oldest boy a .12 gauge pardner pump last year. If you look at my avatar it's the one the tallest boy is holding. We took it bird hunting last winter and it shot very well. The action is kind of rough on it but other than that it is a gtreat gun. The only problem we had with it is after a day of hunting we went to unload it and two of the shells got stuck in the magazine. I still don't know why. It took a little work with a pocket knife to work them loose. For the price I think it is a great gun.