info on Smith and Wesson .38 special CTG

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson' started by webby, Dec 25, 2011.

1. webby

webby G&G Newbie

Hello everyone. I am new here to this site and I need some information. I was blown away this morning (Christmas Morning)....when my Mother of age 65(brought me my one annual Christmas gift).....I was not expecting what I saw before my own eyes. My Mother graced me with my Great Great Grandfathers.. Smith and Wesson Pistol. UNREAL. Been in the family seemingly forever. I only know this gun is old because I have the photos(That came with the gun) that show my Great Great Grandfather holding it. Now..the interesting part is.....My Grandpa died in 2005....my Great Grandfather died in 1981 and My Great Great Grandfather died in 1959- so I know for a fact it's old. HOW OLD? I have no idea. So- here I am. The gun is in phenenomenal condition,,,,The serial number is as follows.
    #454xxx. I know it is a 38 special CTG by the marking on the barrel. HELP ME PLEASE! This gun means a lot to me. I sure appreciate your efforts/ Webby
  2. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Enthusiast

That's awesome to have a firearm that has been in your family for that long! A few pictures would be helpful to determining exactly what you have. The pictures of your great great grandfather would be awesome to see!

Welcome to G&G!
  3. flyingbrkracing

flyingbrkracing G&G Newbie

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the piece of family history.
    Any other marking would help in identifying the model.
    Pictures would help even more.
  4. webby

webby G&G Newbie

Hello again....and thank you so much. Here are the pictures for you in detail. The pictures are of the barrel,inside barrel area,side of barrel w/ patent dates . Kinda cool with all this detective work honestly....with all your help obviously. Just for reference- my Mother also brought me 2 German Lugers as well.Both with Holsters from the War. She has had these since Grandpa passed. My Grandfather /(Moms Dad) was in World War 11 and was a naval diver.

Attached Files:

5. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

It looks to me like a long-barreled target version of the S&W Military & Police model made long before it was redesignated the Model 10. But that's as far as my reasoning takes me. Good-looking pistol, though.
  6. webby

webby G&G Newbie

WOW! This is like watching NCIS...LOL:)- Seriously appreciate all the input fellas. It truly means a lot to me for sure. Also- is it wise to send this off to have it professionally cleaned and some very minor issues repaired if any. This gon is very good in condition....should I leave it or send it? Just curious.??
  7. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

S&w

webby: Sir, your best resource will be Smith and Wesson. Give them a call. (have firearm in your hands, serial number, any special markings) for a few, an authentication letter may be available
    Follow up with your findings, Thanks

History - Smith & Wesson
  8. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

I would also say, it is the M&P target model.
    .38 Hand Ejector Model 1905 4th change, manufactured 1915-1942.
  9. webby

webby G&G Newbie

So- honestley-is it worth anything? Not that it matters-It's in pretty good condition. Just curious honestly.
  10. jimbo-indy

jimbo-indy G&G Regular

Looks like a Military & Police model of 1905, 4th Change, Target Model
    4th Change serial numbers started at 241704 in 1915 and ended with 700000 in 1942. I have a 4' M&P with serial 659XXX that is reasonably dated at 1936. I would guess that yours is late '20s to very early '30s. Not highly valuable due to huge number produced but the target model and 6" barrel due add some premium. Suggest you post the info and pictures on S-W Forum really nice and very knowledgeable people there. Call S&W, they can give est. ship date from serial number. For about $35, you can request a "factory letter" which will document exact date of shipment, to whom shipped (distributer or dealer) and how configured when it left factory (finish, barrel length, etc.) Enjoy your families piece of history.
  11. Bookman

Bookman G&G Enthusiast

That's a nice old family gun you have there.

Of course, money-wise, the real value is the two Luger pistols. WWII Lugers with holsters seldom go for less than $1K, and some go for much more.
  12. grizcty

This is very true about some of them.
    As long as they are stamped, with the proper marks on them.
    Others, not so much $ value.
  13. grizcty

Remember value, is in the eye of the beholder.
    Monetary wise, there is not a whole lot of value.

I LOVE these old guns, not so much for their value.
    But for their historical aspect.

I hope this info below, helps you.

Attached Files: