Install Williams dovetail fire sights on a Marlin model 60

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by jrsboone, Jan 31, 2012.

1. jrsboone

jrsboone G&G Newbie

Friends,
    I just recently bought a set of Williams dovetail fire sights for my Marlin model 60. The front sight was easy, use the screw. The back sight has a dovetail but where in the world on the Marlin does it go and how is it installed? I'm starting to feel like a real idiot. Anyone out with the know how?

Thanks,
  2. Rick12337

Rick12337 G&G Newbie

isn't it right at the front part of the rear sight? Thats were its at on my 2 mod60s
  3. jrsboone

jrsboone G&G Newbie

Williams fire sight for Marlin model 60

My marlin model 60 is a basic model so I wondered if the more expesive model had the dove tail groves. I went to my local gun shop and checked them out none of them had dove tail slots. All I could find out was that the recievers were groove for scopes. So I suppose I'll have to try and find a different kind of sights. Any suggestions?
  4. jrsboone

jrsboone G&G Newbie

Williams fire sigh on a Marlind model 60

Ok , another stupid question, where the factory rear sight is located I assume that is where the fire sight goes. Is the dovetail mounting grove I should be looking for under where the OEM sight is attached?
  5. tnmedic

tnmedic G&G Regular

I just pulled mine out of the closet to look at it, and it looks like where the front of the rear sight is attached to the barrel there is a dovetail under there, but my glasses might be lying to me.
  6. jrsboone

jrsboone G&G Newbie

Fire sights on a Marlin model 60

That's the problem I'm having. I just can't tell. I bought the sights from Brownells, called their tech support. All I got was the grooves on there if it's not than you don't have a model 60.No support there and absolutly no help. I don't want to take the sight off if it's for a no good reason.
  7. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

If you got the simple rear, it should have a side-to-side dovetail groove. It would replace your rear sight.
    First, put the rifle/barrel in a padded bench vise...this keeps it from moving while you are working on it & helps to avoid accidental damage.
    You simply use either a screw-type sight tool, or a hammer & brass/nylon punch, and gently/not-so-gently push it out from left to right.
    That's left to right from the REAR of the rifle looking towards the barrel.
    I was taught to remove dovetails from left to right as the barrel faces away from you. Which means tap out to the right.
    Reason being that while tapered female dovetails may or may not still be used by some manufacturers, male dovetails that are tapered are still very common.
    Installation is right to Left, of course :)
    [​IMG]

If you have anything else, we need to see a pic...

Oh, the front screw locks the sight on the dovetail....
    The middle adjusts the height...
    and the rear-most screw in the center of the U-shape locks the side-to-side adjustment.

And for those seeking a regular (non-fibre-optic) target rear sight...this is your $10 huckleberry ;)
    Rear Sight, Adjustable, Marlin Factory
    [​IMG]

Same adjustments as above.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  8. jrsboone

jrsboone G&G Newbie

williams fire sight to Marlin model 60

Thanks for your info. You gave me all the how to I needed. I followed your instructions, the factory sight popped off and with just a little clean up filing the new sight went right on.
    Thanks for the help.
  9. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast