Instinctive Shooting

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tbonecpk, Jun 22, 2007.

1. tbonecpk

tbonecpk G&G Newbie

For those who know me I am very much a competitive shooter but I have started to gain an interest in Instinctive shooting. So does anyone know how I may be able to gain training in this style of shooting? I think this would complement my long range shooting skills greatly.
  2. bigandrich44

bigandrich44 G&G Newbie

IF its what I'm thinking of, yes I do it. I throw a 12 guage shotgun shell as high as I can, and try to hit it with a Red Ryder BB gun. Works wonders for your shotgunning skills.
  3. tbonecpk

tbonecpk G&G Newbie

4. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

Instinctive shooting was the way the American Indian would shoot a rifle,he would remove anything from the rifle he thought added weight,sights being one.I was into it in the 50s I remember it's all in the eyes,looking down the barrel and rang estimation.Shooting from the hip is another story but some of the old exhibition shooters were experts doing it.
  5. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

I watched the Taurus 24/7 pro video and enjoyed that too.
  6. ezearln

ezearln G&G Newbie

We taught instictive combat shotgun from the hip out to 25 yards if you get the tactics right it's devastating!
  7. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

i believe instinctive shooting is probably best learned with a shotgun. when shooting moving targets with a shotgun, the sights are not used, at least if you want to hit what your LOOKING at. i dont think instinctive shooting will really help much for long range shooting, but it will greatly improve your ability to hit a close target fast.
  8. tbonecpk

tbonecpk G&G Newbie

that's what I ment. Basicly I would like to be more effective both at close range and long range
  9. Doctor Larry K

Doctor Larry K G&G Newbie

Is "instinctive shooting" and "point shooting" the same thing ? I acquired a little expertise in close quarters "point shooting" while on a police pistol shooting team when I was a patrolman (many years ago). It has pretty much stayed with me. I find it effective up to 10 yards. I can't say it has helped my long range shooting.
    However, in my line of work, the point shooting techniques I learned years ago have been very valuable.

Doc
  10. Full MeTal Jack

Full MeTal Jack G&G Newbie

So if you hit the primer, it works wonders for your GET THE HECK OUT OF THE WAY skills:burnout:
  11. bigandrich44

bigandrich44 G&G Newbie

FMJ, it's empty lol. I can't see how instinctive shooting can help your long distance skills. You'll have time to set up if the Tango is at 900 yards, but if he's at 90, that's a different story.
  12. Full MeTal Jack

Full MeTal Jack G&G Newbie

:tounge-in-cheek:
  13. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

Looks like what my dad used to call, "point and shoot." He always said that if you were comfortable with your weapon, all you had to do was look where you wanted the bullet to go and it would get there...
  14. Summerleas

Summerleas G&G Newbie

First off I want to say I do not believe that video of the M14 was instictive shooting. The guy looked as if he was using his red dot sight every shot. Head down on the stock instead if up and straight. My only experience is with pistols and shotguns. Like every one said, the best way to kill something with a shotgun is the point and shoot method...same method they taught in the army years ago...point with your support hands index finger at the target and shoot. Pistols are about the same way...I train at home when watching TV with an airsoft gun. Point and shoot and ignore the sights. When I get outside I do the same with my pistol and have suprised myself with the accuracy, especially with an ergonomically correct gun. Just practice in whatever form you can and eventually the muscle memory will be there in a time of need. Shoot safe.
  15. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

Somehow I see people thinking snap-shooting,equates with instinctive shooting it doesn't.Take a rifle without sights aim only with the eyes,at a target in the distance and connect,like say at 100yds or longer.That is instinctive shooting.Heck a blindfolded person can take a sound-shot with a shotgun,and 9 times out of 10 hit the sounder at 25 or 50'.:sad2:
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  16. BFRANKlin

BFRANKlin Suspended

In my youth I was very good with a longbow. With no training and little experience, I could easily hit the bullseye no matter the distance.
    Instinct is a natural proclivity to do something well that others must practice at to become proficient in. It can't be 'taught' and don't have to be learned, it comes naturally. There ARE people who can shoot a gun with little to no practice, and can hit things a pro would have difficulty doing. Others have to practice, practice, practice. For some, certain things come naturally. It's almost uncanny.Some can sing, throw rocks or baseballs, ice or roller skate, drive cars or ride bicycles. Others can't without trial and errors. Annie Oakley, Elmer Keith and Bill Jordan were natural shooters, for instance.
  17. gary jp4

gary jp4 G&G Newbie

I know this thread is old but I was searching for the same thing and in case any else is looking this is what I found.

There is a guy in Texas by the name of Loen Measures that teaches instinctive shooting. Contact Us -- ShootWhereYouLook.com He uses a BB gun for part of the training. He can shoot an aspirin or a BB out of the air with the BB gun and has students hitting a BB at 20 feet and a rolling tennis ball in one hour. Apparently with a little more time he has some of them hitting the aspirin in the air

Daisy made several BB gun models for the US military for this porpoise with out sights and with a high comb full size stock for cheek mounting so you could look over the barrel. One was called the "Quick Kill".

AIR GUNS USA
    Quick Kill
  18. gary jp4

gary jp4 G&G Newbie

Chief AJ is another good source for a book, and DVD that comes with a special Daisy BB gun made for him by Daisy, the "Chief AJ Special Edition Instinctive Shooting BB Gun". All for under $100. The gun is pretty close to a Daisy Red Ryder that he has Daisy build for him with an adult stock set up to allow looking over the barrel kind of like the military Daisy 95 B. I am going to try one.

Chief AJ is a instinctive shooter, instructor, Cherokee Indian, an ex-marine, US Olympic shooter, wing shooting record holder, champion body builder, and Indian Christian spiritual leader (ordained minister) among other things.

He also teach kids and adults to shoot small things thrown into the air like paint balls with a BB. Read all about it.

Instinct Shooting