Is Folding Stock Legal for NY

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by NNYRebel13, Feb 13, 2011.

1. NNYRebel13

NNYRebel13 G&G Newbie

A co-worker of mine wants me to do some work to his Mossberg 500 shotgun. One of the things he wants done is a top folding stock put on it. I have been pricing out the stock for him and when I went to the Numrichs website it said shipping to NY was prohibited. I thought you could do whatever to a pump as long as the barrel was at least 18 inches and the overall length was 26 1/2? Numrichs will ship a pistol grip for the shotgun to NYS.....isn't the top folding stock kinda the same thing? I don't remember seeing any restrictions from any of the other sites. I told him I would find out and if we can't get the stock I will look into other options. Thanks for any help you can give me with this.
  2. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Enthusiast

Call your local sheriff, he should be able to give you an answer.
    Why doesn't your co-worker obtain the stock?
    Why are you doing the leg-work?
    He probably knows the answer to your question and doesn't want to put himself in jeopardy. It's not difficult to swap out a stock.
    If a folder is illegal in NYS and you do the work of putting the stock on his shotgun...you will be the guilty one for performing an illegal modification.
    I'd let this one slide into eternity without any action on your part. In other words...something stinks.
  3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

oldjarhead is correct. Also, ask at the local mom & pop gun shop. They have to be up on the regulations or BATFE lands on them. Clerks at a place like Cabela's won't have a clue, but the local shop will.

My gun shop does have a few folders, but not many. Thinking on it, all of them have been on C&R type carbines. In New York, even the adjustable M4-type stocks are questionable. I can't recall seeing a folding stock on a shotgun there. As Scotty is very much up on the rules, that leads me to the conclusion folders are not legal here. When I have a chance, I'll look it up in the BATFE book of state regulations... which since Her Imperial Majesty "tidied up" my desk, I now have only in disk format.
  4. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

NY still pretty much use the old Assault weapons ban verbatim, where a gun suddenly transforms into an evil assault weapon when it "has two or more of the following".
    NY's AWB last I knew said

where banned.

They key word being "semi automatic" which a Mossy 500 is not. So you should be fine.

However I know that several retailers are out there who don't want to get anywhere near involved in the various states laws will just simply blanket not sell certain products to certain states.

I live in Maryland where we have a handgun roster (only approved guns on the list can be sold in Maryland). The list is non the less huge and pretty encompassing and gets updated several times a year as new guns come out and it is rare that you find a gun that is not on the list. But even still there are several sellers on gun broker for instance that refuse to sell handguns to Maryland buyers even though the gun is on the approved list because they don't want to deal with the issue. Whether its seller laziness, ignorance, or they are worried too much about liability whatever.

Perhaps that is the same thing with the seller that refused to sell you the folding stock.

I would call up the local sherrif's office or state police and ask to speak with their firearms section to be sure though but as I read it, the restrictions only apply to semi auto shotguns.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  5. NNYRebel13

NNYRebel13 G&G Newbie

He really doesn't know too much about guns and the legality about things on them. He knows I want to get into working on guns so he is letting me do the work on his. Originally he brought me the shotgun because the safety wouldn't work. I had to tear it all apart and clean the whole thing...pretty gummed up. Then he goes..."since you have it, can you do this?". He is a responsible guy but I don't think he would know the first thing about tearing the gun down and working on it and he knows I just tore a shotgun apart and reblued one. If it were up to me I would be putting a collapsable stock on it and if it turns out we can't do the folder I might try to push him that way anyways.
  6. NNYRebel13

NNYRebel13 G&G Newbie

I just pulled this from the NRA_ILA website:

"• Assault weapons does not include:
    • any rifle, shotgun or pistol that: is manually operated by
    bolt, pump, lever or slide action; or has been rendered
    permanently inoperable; or
    • An antique firearm as defined under federal law
    • A semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable
    magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition;
    • A semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five

rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine;"

Here is the link to the site:
    http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf
  7. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Enthusiast

If you feel ok with it that is your perogative. Since your friend doesn't know weinies from beans maybe this project would be a good one to peak his interest. He should know everything he can learn about HIS firearms anyway...knowledge will go a long way.
    Perhaps you should let him do the actual work under your supervision. Maybe he'd learn something...you mentioned previously of his shotgun being dirty to the extent his safety didn't function. Unless, of course, he's paying you to do the work. LOL
  8. NNYRebel13

NNYRebel13 G&G Newbie

Yes he is paying me to do the work and I will probably be getting his other barrel. He has a 28" and a 18.5" barrel. I was going to take his 28" barrel and cut it to 24 inches and make a slug barrel out of it. I did check a local gun shop and they said folding stock is legal because the gun does not take detachable magazines. He might be coming to a local gun show with me in march to try to learn more about guns than what he sees in video games.
  9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I would call your local BATFE. The local guys aren't looking to bust you or invade your household !! We have two agents here that are very knowledgeable and nice to speak to. They can quote you page and paragraph regarding your State Regs !! I dealt with a very knowledgeable agent named Gail here, who left to raise a chid recently. My questions were in reference to C&R questions, she knew it all. When I threw one at her that she couldn't answer, she politely stated beats the f^&k outta me !! But I'll have an answer in 24 hours !! She called me the next day. But I missed the call. I got the email that evening citing a recent BATFE ruling !! Most of them truly care... They rather keep you inside the law, than visit you when you are outside !!
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011