"It can even tell if you fired a gun recently..."

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by The_Patriot, Feb 18, 2010.

1. The_Patriot

The_Patriot G&G Newbie

I just work up about 15 minutes ago. I flipped on Fox and they were talking about the newest TSA security procedure--randomly swabbing people in airports (in line, inside or even out in the waiting areas) and testing the swabs on the spot for explosives.

The Fox reporter casually said that the equipment could tell if you fired a gun recently or had nitroglycerin heart medicine.

So...in a logical leap that apparently a reporter can't make, even in my sleepiness, I wondered...what happens when that occurs? Can they tell which is which? If so, why does it need to alert to gun powder?

If I'm wearing shorts that I was shooting in and get tapped for a magic swab, do I spend the next 3 hours in a TSA back room awaiting interrogation and miss my flight?

Are they going to continue to apply these "random" procedures to little old ladies from St. Louis while Akbar with a Syrian passport and camel skin satchel strolls right by?

Makes a fella not want to fly at all.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  2. cavman

cavman G&G Newbie

my question would be, how recently? does washing your hands solve this? does handling a firearm that has been shot set it off? to many questions.
  3. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

When I went Pheasant hunting in South Dakota last October, my gun bag with Hunting clothes, gloves and stuff set off the detectors in the airport, They picked up gunpowder. They just searched the bag and sent me on my merry way..:icon16:
  4. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Yup it's one of the issues shooters/reloaders who regularly fly will have to put up with. On the Chunnel train, which takes cars, from the UK to France, they actually swab the vehicle's steering wheel. Every shooter I know now carries their Firearms Certificate with them when they travel this way.
  5. The_Patriot

The_Patriot G&G Newbie

So, it's probable that they know what sets it off and, if your story fits what they found, they let you on your way?

I've posted this before, but when I lived in Vegas, I was out shooting all morning one day and flew that afternoon in the same clothes. I had to have had all sorts of residue all over me from that. When I got there, I had to go through one of those air-puffer machines (looking for explosives). When I saw I was chosen to go through it, I thought I was in for a long afternoon. They didn't stop me, though. I was kind of shocked I didn't set off all the bells and whistles. I suspected at the time they could probably identify the powder residue, but it wasn't on the bell-and-whistle alarm list of compounds.
  6. meandkc

meandkc G&G Newbie

I have given up flying alltogether its not that important for me to go anywhere I cant drive to . My civil liberties my terms . Besides I got stuck next to fa44y arbuckle last time I flew and sat on a quarter of my seat while she was more than happy to set on the other 3/4 . That is what truley ruined it for me. If you need 2 seats buy them .
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I will drive. I am "Bigger than the average bear", I shoot and reload, and I hate putting up with geeks with badges onpower trips.

I will drive, or I will not go. My choice. :usa1:

Too bad as I do enjoy flying.
  8. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

Next it will be cheek swabs, then they'll swab body cavities, stick your head in the mind reader, folks.
    It seems all that machinery they bought doesn't work at keeping terrorists out, now they are desperate.
  9. Archetype_wyo

Archetype_wyo G&G Enthusiast

Never flown....I think I'd have to be restrained...
  10. petrol

petrol G&G Newbie

15 mins eh?
    should be good for catching those pre flight starbucks robbers.
  11. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

i recently got selected for the TSA VIP treatment at 4:30 in the morning coming back from cold as balls columbus ohio to atlanta

i was not happy, especially when some dude started feeling the inseam of my pants......i was kinda a smart ass and asked him if he wanted to get breakfast :)

he got pissed, but my attitude was whatever, this dude doesnt even carry a gun just a badge
  12. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I had some Hot Blonde from TSA Search me last time I Flew. I stood in line 3 times.:slomo:
  13. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

As long as the sheeple keep putting up with the ever-increasing encroachment upon their liberties, the gubmint will keep encroaching further.
  14. dog party

dog party G&G Newbie

I've pretty much stopped flying because of all this nonsense. What really makes me mad, however, is that my little, 5'0", 70+ year old mother has to fly all the time...and she ALWAYS gets pulled out of line. I'm not kidding, it is EVERY TIME she flies (2-3 times a month).
  15. LarryO1970

LarryO1970 G&G Enthusiast

... is firing a gun illegal ? Last I checked ... it wasn't.
  16. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Since so many people complain about how the airports are not safe enough and the government doesn't do enough, but on the other hand complain about their freedoms being violated when they do try to implement some new technology or security measure, I want to know what all your ideas are to fix the problem without "violating someone else's rights or sense of political correctness"

Im not picking on anyone here Im just asking in general.

If we picked out every single Muslim who went flying for "extra screening" im sure someone would get sued and people would whine and cry about profiling. It almost seems that the TSA is forced out of political correctness to single out people whom one would think would be anything but a threat (such as dog party's mom) just to mix it up a bit and calm the political correctness crowd's nerves.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  17. gunnut2u

gunnut2u G&G Newbie

Depends on what you are shooting at ......?
  18. cremley

cremley G&G Newbie

Colorado, with all the pot smoking libtards -_-
    When I went to China a few years ago, I got patted down by a cute little Chinese girl...three times. It was like she was checking out my muscles or something. At 18 years old, I felt pretty special. :sly:
  19. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Enthusiast

The last time I came home from the desert we showed up to process through the security at BWI. 13 guys, all in DCUs going home... seems pretty obvious that we would be the LAST ones to do something stupid. You would think that we would be able to get through security without an issue. NOPE! 4 of us got pegged for "additional security measures" while I counted multiple foreigners going right past us. Two of them even had turbans on! Yes, I know its not politically correct, but screw it, what did the hijackers look like? That's right...TSA is a joke, these "additional security measure" crap is a joke, DHS is a total failure. We need to get serious about protecting our citizens, not just slowly trying to strip individual liberties in the interest of avoiding hurting other people's feelings, especially the feelings of those who are trying to harm us! You know that you can't even get a ham sandwich on any military base in the desert! Just in the interest of being "culturally sensitive." :bs2:
  20. Russ Hatch

Russ Hatch G&G Newbie

First tell the politically correct crowd where to go and what to do when they get there in plain language. Then do what common sense tells you needs to be done to protect the country and it's citizens.:mad1: