J.C. Higgins Model 20-12 gauge??? Question??

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 7mm fan, Mar 2, 2009.

1. 7mm fan

7mm fan G&G Newbie

Hey everyone. I have a J.C. Higgins Model 20-12 gauge pump sittin right here in front of me. Its bin converted to a sawed off pistol grip. I'm not sure how old it is it belongs to my grandfather, it's been in the family for a long time. It's also in great contion, action is still smooth. I know the value is down because of the sawed off/pistol grip, but I still wanna know how good of a gun this is???? It even says j.c. higgins model 20-12 gauge Sears and Roebuck and co. 583 etc.... right on it. I'm not familiar with this one, any words from anyone???

"They can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead fingers".
  2. Pope130

Pope130 G&G Regular

That's the store brand name for the High Standard Model 200. A good solid gun. Well designed and honestly made. Parts availability is good.

Bob's Gun Parts (no relation) lists stocks starting from $70.00 on the High Standard page. www.gun-parts.com

Robert
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  3. EtherialOne

EtherialOne G&G Regular

Yes, JC Higgins was Sears & Roebuck's brand name... I had an old .22 bolt that was ugly as I don't know what but would knock a blackbird out of a treetop at 75 yards.. Lots of fun... and just bought a pump 22 last year bearing the name LOL just had to have it for nostalgia's sake ;-)
  4. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

Found one laying on the side of the road,guess someone forgot to put it in their vehicle and it fell off the roof.Barrel was messed up and had to cut back to 20" and forarm was gone.I'll make a custom one though.It is a good shotgun and sits beside the bed with 5 , 2 3/4" #4 Buck no wood forarm but still in working order.Never heard about who lost it.Someone the other day in the paper said they lost a Savage double barrel 20ga.he said it fell off his truck.Not to brite I say..:)
  5. unclejer

unclejer G&G Newbie

I have the same gun it was made in 1949 still shoots although I don't use it much action is butter smooth 2 3/4 chamber.
  6. rothm

rothm G&G Newbie

My dad has one he gave it to me he had it as long as i can remeber I have it know I take it out all the time he would like that . fix it up you will like it.
  7. MG Burnham

MG Burnham G&G Newbie

These were made by Hi Standard. All steel machined parts and smooth as silk. They will also "fan fire" which means that if you hold the trigger and pump the gun, it will fire at every pump. The Model 12 Winchester and Ithaca 37 will also do this.
  8. luvmyRugers

luvmyRugers G&G Regular

It's a keeper!

It's a great gun. My dad had one he hunted with for years(he won it on a "punch" board). He taught my 2 brothers and me how to hunt with it. All 3 of us grew up hunting with that gun. The last time I used it (20+ years ago) it was still smooth as silk. My cousin now has it and hunts with it frequently.
    You've got a keeper there!
  9. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

i had the JC HIGGINS M20 Deluxe, Cutts type compensator with screw in chokes, vent rib with 2 sighting beads, and magazine cut off. got it used for graduating hunter saftey and getting my hunting license. later while in the Army my dad asked if i wanted t sell it, he had a buyer. i said sure go ahead, what a mistake:34:

it was the smoothest pump i ever tried. sorry i sold it ever since then.:dunce:

i would cetainly get another stock, then take it afield. so why did gran'pa cut off the stock??? that would make a hell of a defen:biggthumpup:sive walking cane
  10. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

11. mkforema

mkforema G&G Newbie

Is this gun safe for my son?

Hi,
    When we cleaned out my father in law's closet after his death, we found a JC Higgins Shotgun Model 20, 12 gauge, 583.58 that no one wanted. My husband doesn't "do" guns and the only thing I have ever shot is a 38 revolver...my 15 year old and 19 year old want to shoot this thing. It has something on the end that looks like a flamethrower haha, but obviously I just want to know if it is safe for the boys.

Thanks,
    Karen
  12. rebel727

rebel727 G&G Enthusiast

It's a High Standard model 200 with adjustable choke. Provided it's in good shape it's good to go.