J. Stevens Single Shot .22LR Rifle

Discussion in '.22/rimfire' started by vmkeith, Aug 7, 2011.

1. vmkeith

vmkeith G&G Newbie

I recently got a few firearms from my dad that have been in the family for quite awhile. One of them is a J. Stevens .22 rifle that I'm trying to find more information about. Below is a pic and an explanation of the markings on the rifle.
    [​IMG]
    J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company Single Shot .22 Long Rifle: Based on some of my research, it's also known as the "Old Stevens Favorite". I did find out my grandfather traded a set of spurs for this when he was 12, in 1938. It does need a new extractor, every now and then my grandfather and dad had to use a pocket knife to pull the spent casing out. Best guess for manufacturing date, based on barrel markings is 1894-1920...but I could be wrong.
    Markings
    Top Right Barrel: J. Stevens A & T Co., Chicopee Falls Mass USA PAT. APR 17 94
    Top Left Barrel: 22 Long Rifle
    Bottom Stock Support: Serial Number
    My primary goal isn't to sell it, but to keep it in the family, so I plan on restoring it. Besides Numrich, what is another good place to get gun parts?
  2. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

Brownells
  3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

One of the prettier single shots.
  4. vmkeith

vmkeith G&G Newbie

Yep, tried Brownells already. Unless my search was wrong, all I found listed was the stock. As for Numrich, they listed almost every part but they are out of stock.
  5. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Enthusiast

Try calling them sometimes they can be slow in updating their website.
  6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

7. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

8. vmkeith

vmkeith G&G Newbie

Thanks!!!
  9. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Newbie

Just a passing note about your Steven's Favorite. If you decide to shoot it, do NOT use "high velocity" ammo. Use ONLY "standard velocity". Your gun was manufactured years before "high velocity" was available. If you try to shoot HV, you will eventually bend, then break the "pivot pin" that your lever "hinges on." And, you'll begin to blow out the "rim" of the bullet, putting hot gasses and hot schrapnel, from the "blown out" case, right in your face. You do wear safety glasses, don't you? Best for this gun, shoot "shorts! they work just fine.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  10. Dead eye 22

Dead eye 22 G&G Newbie

Savage started producing this gun again a few years back. They may still be producing them so I would think parts would be available.
    That very same gun was my first 22. Mine has a full legnth octigonal barrel.
    I use to shoot hi volicity shorts in it with no probs. I later used long rifle standard volicity. I don't recall using long rifle hi volicity, though I may have. At any rate I
    eventually noticed a slight bulge a few inches back from the muzzle. I have seen pictures of the same type bulge in a 22 barrel that was produced by sticking the mussel under water to shoot at fish, but I never did anything like that. Don't know what caused that bulge, but I no longer shoot that rifle.
    I heard that this was the first rifle produced to shoot the 22 long rifle cartridige .