Jammed my FEG R61

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by MrsS, Feb 3, 2008.

1. MrsS

MrsS G&G Newbie

:bigeyes: Just FYI....I decided to shoot my R61 I bought a few weeks ago....thank goodness it was in an armory....my gun stated it was a "9mmM" so I loaded it with 9mm Makarov; it fit perfectly in my magazine. Of course, the Makarov ammo jammed my gun. The techs who inspected and "unjammed" my gun stated that even though it is stamped "9mmM", my R61 is actually calibrated for 380 ammo, which also fits well in my magazine. Gun fires perfectly since. Just something I had to learn on my own...hopefully, this may help other R61 owners out there; just make doubly sure the ammo that particuliar takes.
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Sounds like somebody changed the Barrel to .380 acp.
    The exposed part of the barrel (When the slide is closed) should have been stamped to reflect this change in Caliber...
    Rich
  3. MrsS

MrsS G&G Newbie

Thank you....the only marking I see in that area is "9mm short"...I continue to search for information on that gun...it almost looks like the PA63 but being so new to handguns, I would rather have info on my model. I did not think a handgun can be so confusing.
  4. MOCKBA

MOCKBA G&G Newbie

Mine says 9mm kurz and .380 acp on the side. I also tried to use makarov in it but it jammed. Now I use .380 auto. The rounds that work best in my pistol are the winchester .380 auto kleen bore with the flatnose.
  5. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

9mm Kurtz = 9mm Short = .380acp
  6. MrsS

MrsS G&G Newbie

I use remington .380 and winchester .380 flat nose.....both have worked marvelously in my gun.......not a jam or other problem since then.
  7. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

We ran across this once before, I seem to recall. It appears that FEG uses the same slides for the PA-63s chambered for 9x18 Makarov, which is abbreviated "9mmM" on the slide; and for the PA-63s in .380 ACP, aka 9mm Kurz or "9mmK." You have to go by the stamp visible in the ejection port, not by what it says on the left hand side of the slide. I guess it's not that strange - my Ortgies is stamped "7.65mm" on the port, but my Llama Model IX-A is not - but it is a little disconcerting.
  8. FEG541

FEG541 G&G Newbie

I have the same identical gun you have. Mine also says 9mm short on it.
    I shoot .380 ammo through it. Shoots fine. I know it's the original barrel.
  9. voltaire1923

voltaire1923 G&G Newbie

I have a FEG R61.....

ok, I got this gun just for fun being my 1st gun I looked up all that I could and can...1st. of all you do not have the original barrel on it. the original barrel was a 9mmM = 9x18...now the gun is from Russia, so befor it was to come to USA it was switch to 9mm short = .380.....so if you have the original barrel on it you should be using 9mmM=9x18. not .380, they will work(.380 will shot out of a 9mmM. 9mmM will not shot from a .380 gun) but over time it will hurt you or your gun. careful using .380 in a 9mmM. it all comes down to a 9mm is a 9mm...and 9mmM is 9x18... and 9mm short is .380....only use what your gun was suppose too use.