judge jammed 1st shot! help?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by lvlt, May 2, 2009.

1. lvlt

lvlt Suspended

loaded my new judge with 410 winchester,seemed like a tight fit,fired once,it locked, and the cylinder wont rotate,, i can't open it either,still 4 shells in it.

too bad, i was looking forward to a day of shooting.

can anyone offer advice?

tks
    pat

i wonder if u climbed a mountain to ask for advice, would mooseman be at the top?
  2. Rogue Tom

Rogue Tom G&G Newbie

I have read that the 410 can come in a 2 1/2 inch and a 3 inch version. The three inch will load in the cylinder, but once fired, the end materials expand outward and can then jam in the space where the cylinder meets the barrel.

With the other rounds in the weapon it makes it dangerous to go after some sort of disassembly unless you are really good at such a thing. You may need to consult a gunsmith.

If you did not use the 3 inch shells, then the problem could be coming from something else.
    I have shot the my nephew's judge with 45lc in it and it is a surprisingly smooth shooter.
  3. knightRider

knightRider G&G Newbie

check the shell size like the above poster says that is your most likely culprit.
  4. lvlt

lvlt Suspended

using 2 1/2 shell only. went yesterday ,jammed using winchester #6,cleared and fired 50 lc and 50 remington#4 ,mixing them in the cylinder .not one problem.stopped once in awhile to fire one win #4 winchester(jammed every time).
    looks like ammo, i only have the one box win to test on,so dont know if bad batch or just cant use it.
    a friend put a mirometer( ? never thought i would write,or speak that word)andthe winchester expanded more than the remington.
  5. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

A wink's a good as a nod to a blind bat. If your Judge does not like Winchester ammo, don't shoot Winchester ammo out of it! Problem solved.

FWIW, I have a Ruger Mark I that absolutely will not chamber hollowpoints out of the magazine. The HPs jam on the feed ramp every time. It doesn't like hypervels either - gets out of timing. But load it with 40 grain standard velocity solids and it's shoot till you run out of ammo time. I don't try to explain this - I just accept it as a fact of life with that particular pistol.
  6. lvlt

lvlt Suspended

tks cyrano, actually i did not think of that,i am bogged down in how it should be, instead of how i really is.plus,for practice ammo, i have cases of remington and 1 box, lol, less a few shells of wincheste(pareto principal).
  7. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Where is it jamming, front or back of the cylinder? Could be either the plastic protruding in the front from the crimp opening up or a primer backing out a little in the back. Either way, like you said, just use what works.
  8. lvlt

lvlt Suspended

9. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I've had no problems at all

with either of my Judges using Winchester or Remington ammo--shot #4's, #6's, #71/2's and even some #9's as well as the 000 buck and all sorts of .45 LC including reloads (NOT .45+P's though).

The only difficulty I've had occasionally is with extraction or loading of the fluted shells--usually the S&B 000 buckshot; this usually happens after I've been shooting .45 LC and the chambers are relatively dirty. They will still load and extract but there is some binding. I could see a situation if you didn't make sure before firing all the shotgun shells were firmly and completely seated the gun could bind or lock up as they rotated toward the narrow part of the backplate/cylinder (it is wider in some places than others). Your gun also might have a problem with spacing between the backplate and cylinder gap; although if this were the case and it was a gun problem (not a seating problem) I'd expect to see it first with the .45LC because the rim is thicker than the .410.

All the shells I've shot though were definitely 2 1/2 " -- this is very important unless you know your judge has 3" chambers--which most don't.
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
  10. SgtKnuckles

SgtKnuckles G&G Newbie

~Taurus Judge Is A MODERN FIREARM~
    ~Lets answer this Question one more time: +P But Not +P+
    ~This is from page 4 of the Taurus catalog: +P RATED FOR DUTY USE®
    All Taurus handguns are engineered to accept a steadydiet of factory-new Plus-P (+P) ammunition built to SAAMI specifications. This includes the Ultra-Lite hammer forged aluminum alloys, Titanium, blue steel and stainless steel models. Rest assured, your Taurus will be ready, especially when you’re counting on it...
    Note: +P rounds are only a Messily-A$$ 10% to 12% Higher Pressure than standard rounds... That's way lower than the Lawyer Certified Safe Frame Pressure...!!! Certified Windshield Penetraitor Cop Rounds are +P+... You want to shoot "Beefy" +P+ rounds, Buy yourself Cop Duty Rated Carry Guns... Bonus... you get 25,000 round to burn-out Barrels on the Cop Duty Rated Carry Guns, same as Military Carry Guns...
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
  11. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

^ You're welcome to shoot the .45 LC +P's in your Judges. :) The Buffalo Bore standard pressure heavy .45 LC (255gr Keith at 1000 fps) is enough for me. Other loadings probably won't blow my gun up but I'm not taking chances with it. Their +P loadings drive a 300 gr. speer at over 1300 fps so's I'll save stuff like this for a Ruger or rifle.
  12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Just reading about the Judge in wikipedia and they explain that Taurus put a choke in the cylinder so no cartridge larger dia. than .410 or longer than .45 Colt could be chambered.This is your shotshell problem.It seems that if you polished the chambers with polishing compound it would cure your problem with shotshells sticking.Just a thought. sam.
  13. SgtKnuckles

SgtKnuckles G&G Newbie

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  14. lvlt

lvlt Suspended

tks sgt and sam ,i printed sgts thread 5/3/09 ,brush c203,i will look tomorrow, do wally or gun stores sell it ?
    any idea where i can get the federal shells,stores here dont have it.
    in another post i said my judge shoots perfect,over 200 times with 45lc and remington #4, jams each time with the winchester.
    btw sarge i bought a new judge u/l, hammerless, should be here next wk.
    tks pat
  15. blat

blat G&G Newbie

I had a Judge, wherein Fed 410 slugs would "set back" against the breech face and lock rotation. I asked EVERYWHERE, including some gun writers; no one had encountered this problem, thus, no one could tell me what was happening.
    Forget any help from Taurus; I called for 2 months, with no response at all to my messages.
    I have another Judge that has handled every 410 and 45 I've put in it.
  16. blat

blat G&G Newbie

I've been looking all over for this ammo, to no available; where is it??
  17. SgtKnuckles

SgtKnuckles G&G Newbie

Ivlt,... Your going to find that your going to Order c203... And I think you'll find that UL Judge is Pretty Snappy...<:))

~Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 410 Bore 2-1/2" 000 Buckshot 4~ Pellets
    It's being "Lone Sharked" on GunBroker~The Entrepreneur~
    Case Federal .410 Handgun Judge 2.5" 000 buck 200 = $1.36 Each to the Door...
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129048902
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
  18. SgtKnuckles

SgtKnuckles G&G Newbie

Taurus New Judge TV Spot & Behind Scenes
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWFGsTsNxa8&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWFGsTsNxa8&feature=related[/ame]
  19. lvlt

lvlt Suspended

what do i do with #18? prev post.
  20. SgtKnuckles

SgtKnuckles G&G Newbie

If your computer has the proper Codec's installed for playing YouTube Movies... It will open the YouTube Player, and start Playing the Movie...
    Note: Double Click the BIG arrow in the Middle of that Picture on Post #18... (a vary enjoyable Movie)

Note: If Movie does not start, you will need to install the FREE "Adobe Flash Player" to make YouTube Movie's Play when you Click on YouTube Movies...
    Link to Adobe Auto Installer: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=DXLUJ
    Last edited: May 15, 2009