K-31 Questions

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by twisterx44, Dec 21, 2008.

1. twisterx44

twisterx44 G&G Newbie

I've had my K-31 for a while now and decided I want to start doing some longER range shooting, probably under 400, maybe even 300yd shooting. I know its not really "long range" but the longest I've shot this rifle at is probably 150yards. So I am buying the reloading dies and I want to get a scope on it.

Here are my questions:

1) On midway, there are two sets of dies offered for it. One is for the .308" bore, one for the .299" bore. I have been firing the standing GP11 7.5X55 ammo imported straight from switzerland. I believe is the .299 bore, does anyone know?

2) Can someone reccomend a decent scope for the range stated that will maintain zero with the recoil of this rifle? Its not a .50BMG but its my largest caliber rifle currently and the only other scope I own is for my .22 and I doubt it would hold a zero. Price range on the scope is preferably around the $120 range but I guess I can stretch to 150 if necessary.

3) Has anybody used winchester .284 brass and resized it for their K31? Its something I read about recently and was wondering if there were any advantages/disadvantages when compared to regular (boxer primed) 7.5X55 swiss. Is it just cheaper to use .284 brass?

Thanks in advance,

-Twister
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. Farmer

Farmer G&G Newbie

Hi,

GP11 is .308, as all k31's are 308, the 96 is 7.5mm(.299).

I have never reloaded with .284's, i bought a few packs of prvi ammo and reload them.

I just have a cheap scope on mine and it stays zero fine, so just buy the best you can afford.
  3. twisterx44

twisterx44 G&G Newbie

4. adamhgkb

adamhgkb G&G Newbie

just forget the whole thing and mail me the gun!
  5. twisterx44

twisterx44 G&G Newbie

...no...

can someone answer my questions please?
  6. Farmer

Farmer G&G Newbie

i use the st marie, its offset to the side so its a little hard to get used to but
    you can still use the irons if you like and you dont need a strange long eye relief scope.

As for dies i use the redding dies, series c numbered 80235
  7. generoll

generoll G&G Newbie

check out the S&K website. They sell scope mounts that replace the rear sight. This means no drilling or tapping, so you don't change the rifle in any manner. You can always put it back whenever it pleases you. You have to use a long eye relief scope (like 11" long), but it's something I'm considering for my newly acquired K31.
  8. Farmer

Farmer G&G Newbie

There is no drilling for my mounts either and you can use any scope, no need to go buy a long eye release one and your irons are still usefull to 900yards
  9. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

10. generoll

generoll G&G Newbie

Farmer, one other thing I didn't mention. I'm left handed so a scope offset to the left side of the rifle my be a bit awkward. That was why I liked the idea of the S&K mount. I'm sure there are other options, maybe even better ones.
  11. Farmer

Farmer G&G Newbie

Gen, im a lefty too, i didnt mean to rag your idea but twister also mentioned he wanted to pay no more than $120 for a scope and i dont think he will find a good long eye releif for these bucks.