Knock down power of the m1 carbine

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by mr.kendo, Aug 1, 2007.

1. mr.kendo

mr.kendo G&G Newbie

Can a m1 carbine using a 110 grain bullet knock down a steel target without a problem?
  2. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Depends on the weight of the target. The silhouette type targets for other than rimfire will be too heavy generally for knockdown. That doesn't mean a high placed shot won't tip it, but the further out, the less likely it will knock them down. You will also have more luck on tall type targets like the chickens or turkeys where the targets sit on one leg, and tip more easily. They do have round type targets that have small bases and are easy to tip. So...all depends on the type of steel target, it's weight and design and of course distance.
  3. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
    The first day I took my IBM M1 Carbine to the range, I shot a single magazine at steel knock down targets. Not only did the .30 carbine knock the targets down, but the round dang near penetrated the 3/8 inch steel at 15 yards. I took the carbine over to the 100 yard range and punched paper with it to avoid damaging the knock down targets.
  4. mr.kendo

mr.kendo G&G Newbie

I thought its knock down power would be a problem, i guess not. Ok thanks for the help guys.
  5. Dookiebutt

Dookiebutt G&G Newbie

Funny, but I thought they just bounced off Chinese soldiers in winter jackets.
  6. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

7. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
    Bravo again, Bravo!!!

I love conclusion #5!!!

Of course, if we all didn't already know that we'd be chatting with different people on a different site!!!
  8. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Not exactly "scientific", but it gets the point across. I had not heard the part about "frozen" clothing. I had always chuckled when hearing of quilted jackets stopping a .30 Carbine bullet - but no one wanted to wear one while I shot him with my Carbine . . . :kinky:

It's funny how many folks think so highly of the CZ52 pistol, claiming all kinds of deep penetration, but think the .30 Carbine a wimp - the Carbine has nearly the same bullet at a bit higher velocity! :bigeyes2:
  9. Johnny_Revolver

Johnny_Revolver G&G Newbie

I used an M1 Carbine on a trip out west, oooh, bout 21 years ago. Admittedly, using surplus ammo of indeterminable vintage. We encountered goats in plague numbers, a friend and I ran side by side, he with a Winchester Riot gun, and me with the M1. I found I had to strafe the goats to get any result. He was one 00 9 pellet per goat ruining day, I had to put 2 or 3 caps in to get them to stop.

Didnt get to use it on pigs, but I`d have imagined it`d have been marginal at best. Glad I never carried one in a war by crikey. It was a fun lil rifle though, no recoil and relatively reliable.
  10. OZHUNTER62

OZHUNTER62 G&G Newbie

M1Carbine

Hi guys,I have one personal experience with the M1 Carbine.
    Once on a pig hunting trip a guy offered me the use of one,I fired some rounds at camp and was surprised by the accuracy and ease with which the little gun operated.
    His advice to me was to get as close as possible to any game.
    But after impressing myself at the camp with my baked bean tin killing skills I set off walking hoping to find an old hog camped up somewhere that I could ambush with my new found semi auto friend.
    I hadnt walked for very long before I came across a big old buck kangaroo with his back to me resting in the shade,at a guess he was about 100 yds away when I saw him and he did not notice me on account of it being such a dry hot day with next to no wind.
    I recalled the advice given on getting close to shoot and slowly stalked within about 50 yds of him,I took aim from a clump of fallen trees that separated us and fired at his centre chest,he startled and rushed towards me a few jumps then paused with his head going in all directions to find the danger,shit!!!!! i thought to myself!!I missed!!! this all took seconds and at the same time i fired again,this time twice and was sure I hit him,just as quick he spun and headed for the scrub line only 25yds to my right,in the time he took to get to the scrub I fired 3 more times and then he was gone.
    There began a chase which lasted another 15 mins,as soon as I would spot him he would be gone again and again and again until I cornered him against a steep erosion he was breathing hard through chest wounds but it took 2 more shots,one being to the head at 10yds to bring him down.
    Autralian kangaroo species vary in sizes a lot but he was a large red kangaroo and probobly weighed in the order of 70 to 80 kilos liveweight.
    Upon examination of the carcass I saw that I had indeed hit him a total of 6 out of the 8 shots fired,I guess I missed 2 of the 3 running shots,I did not open him up but of the 6 hits 3 were in the chest 1 lower on the stomach 1 in the neck area and the 1 finishing shot to the head,none of the shots exited and external bleeding was quite minimal,I was somewhat dissapointed in the gun and myself for the way in which things transpired and resolved not to use it again for an animal of that size.
    That same night we went hunting rabbits by spotlight,the M1 performed admirably and was great fun to shoot with its semi automatic operation and large mag.
    I liked the guns look and feel and wanted one for many years(still do) but at that time was unable to afford one,susequent changes to law have made ownership nearly impossible.
    The rounds used were military and never failed to fire but i do recall the conversation that night being in sympathy with anyone sent to face an enemy with that gun.
    My respect and gratitude goes to the many that did exactly that.
    They would be without doubt the ones to best judge the knockdown power of the M1 Carbine.
    :)Regards.
  11. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

I think a good point to be made is that people that have had issues hunting with this gun were almost always using FMJ ammo. Remington (as much as I hate their ammo) makes a very nice soft point .30 Carbine around. It's more accurate than surplus ammo and hits hard. I've seen deer dropped within 25 yards of being shot...

I agree that the gun isn't as powerful as a .308 or 30-06, but you have to take it for what it is. The gun is extremely light, reliable, and accurate. Shot placement and range have to be seriously considered before taking a shot.

Some say that they are glad that they didn't have one during a war. If my shots were limited to 100 yards or less, I would love to carry one.
  12. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

I'll take the 30-06 any day.
  13. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Well I would too :09:, but in close combat, the Carbine is soo much lighter than the '06. You can carry more ammo and fire more rapidly. Shot placement is key, but you don't always have time to sit on your target long enough.
  14. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

Have you been within bayonet/knife range of any foes?
  15. Dookiebutt

Dookiebutt G&G Newbie

Are you saying you'd rather use a knife than a carbine?
  16. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

No!!But if you don't what I meant we'll just leave it alone.
  17. whirlwind

whirlwind G&G Enthusiast

i own a carbine and i love the little thing! ive shot coyotes with it mostly and never had any trouble and hardly ever needing two shots. and if you look at some ballistic charts the 30 carbine actually more energy than some 357 mag rounds fired from a 6" barrel ! and my dad who was a marine at the chosin reservior,told me how he was so happy when he got to dump his garand for a carbine in korea! he said that yeah it was not as powerful as the garand,but it held 30 rounds! and he said no one he saw get hit with it got up again. that was the best testimonial i could have had for the little gun
  18. Roy Collins

Roy Collins G&G Newbie

I also like the carbine very much but have never shot anything living with one.
  19. CAPT29

CAPT29 G&G Newbie

This is my first offense on this forum. I actually know something about the Carbine, having carried one in my aircraft as an Army Aviator. It was light and kicked little, and you could one hand it if you wanted to do so(if you didn't care much about hitting anything). I was in from 61-81, and carried just about everything I could lay hands on including a really nice Thompson 1928(AF guy lost it in poker game), various shotguns and of course the M16. I think the Carbine was my favorite, I got one via CMP ($20.00 + shipping) and did some hunting with it. With SP ammo it would take down deer quite nicely, the ballistics tables indicate it is in league with a really hot .357 load, which is pretty OK. Everyone above is right, the FMJ ammo does not do much for stopping power, on the other hand a lot of people got dead on the business end of the M1 Carbine in WWII, Korea and VN.
  20. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

You mean to tell me that M1 Carbines wre used to kill people? And here I thought if they were hit by a carbine they died of embarssment. You know come to think of it I have never been to the VFW and heard anyone tell me they were killed by an M1 Carbine. Coincidence? I think not.