Kodiak 22 mag

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tim444o, Dec 16, 2007.

1. tim444o

tim444o G&G Newbie

I own a Kodiak 22 mag,These rifles were noted for loading jams.Does anyone know of a fix .These rifles were only manufactureg in the early 60s .Any help would be appreciated.Thanks Tim444o
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

two suggestions

have the feed ramp polished with jeweler's rouge and have the chamber polished/widened without jeopardizing the headspace. also, you might want the headspace checked by a competent gunsmith.
    be careful to watch the costs as it might not be worth the value of the gun to have this work done.
  3. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

NEVER WIDEN ANY CHAMBER ON ANY FIREARM NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!They made the damn thing to hold a specific cartridge.If that cartridge goes in that chamber that is as big as it is supposed to be.If you make the chamber bigger the case wall will split and it will blow out at you. sam.
  4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Sam Is 100% correct!
    Especially on a Rimfire... By the way, The Kodiak rifles are rare long guns, and most malfunctions were cleaning issues. That is a Model 260 tubular feed I bet.
    Any Qualified Gunsmith can examine it and determine if the feed ramp/release/timing needs work...
    Rich
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The chamber shouldn't be 'widened', but sometimes a very light chamfering of the bottom of the chamber mouth will aid smooth feeding. I did this with my old Whitney Wolverine that had feeding issues. Three years and several hundred rounds later - much better! As with ANY firearm work, go VERY LIGHTLY - it doesn't take much at all - more just a 'smoothing' than actual removal of metal.
  6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Often on rimfires they have been dry fired and the fireing pin has raised a little bump in the mouth of the chamber.The Kodiac is closed in so this is hard to get at.It is usually hard to see.A competent gun smith can get it out with ease.This isnt the only thing,a weak recoil spring and bad extractors are other things,and dirty chamber that just needs some gun scrubber and several swabs. sam.
  7. tim444o

tim444o G&G Newbie

thank you guys ,I appreciate it

Update,upon disassembly ,I found the feed ramp consists of two pieces of plastics and are now clean.My question now is how do I chamfer or polish the throat of the of the chamber. I Like Sam said it's a closed receiver...Thanks again
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  8. tim444o

tim444o G&G Newbie

Hi just a note that after through cleaning .the gun seems to be working great..Mucho Thanks Tim
  9. meatman1a

meatman1a G&G Newbie

who manfactured the kadiak model 260 this was my Grandfathers gun handed down to me.

THANKS meatman1a
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Kodiac Co. manufactured it in North Ridge,CT..They were only in business from 1963 to 66.They are a collectors item but it doesn't give prices,just says most items selling at slight premium. sam.
  11. meatman1a

meatman1a G&G Newbie

Thanks Samuel maybe I need to retire this gun,instead of of hunting with it.
  12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I don't think I would use it for long sessions at the range,but retire a fine little rifle from hunting? Never! sam.