Largest game that can be hunted with a .308

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jaeger, Sep 4, 2008.

1. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

I have been pondering buying a remington 700 in 30/06 but was wondering if my old mauser .308 is just as capeable. My real question is what is the largest game you guys think can be taken ethically with a .308 and proper load. (plus I am trying to get the ok from the wife for a .300 Win Mag)
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

it will take care of elk, and moose. would not be my first choice for the big bears.
  3. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

thats kinda what i figured. I have hunted black bear and elk (once) with .308 with a 1 shot no run kills. Just didnt know if it would take care of moose/ big bears.
  4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

For Alaska Moose, Buffalo, and grizzly Bears, you want more than a .308 for Humane one or 2 shot kills, or for safety sake !
    Hey wait a minute...dont shoot ME !!! LOL
  5. keymasr5912

keymasr5912 G&G Newbie

i must respectfully disagree with you mooseman. i have seen my oldest son drop several moose with his winchester 88 308. i personally prefur my 7mm mag but if you keep shots within 150yds or so and use hard 180gr bullets the 308 will work fine. never been lucky enough to draw a buff permit. if i did i would probably lean toward my 375. the interior griz that i have seen are not particularly big. the 308 should work if you hit em right. the coastal brownie is a whole nother critter. if i ever go back out there i want the 375. [ just my opinions and you know what they say, we all got em, and we are all always right.]
  6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

You have a right to disagree with My opinion and 25 years of Hunting in Alaska...
    #1...It is Illegal to Hunt Buffalo with a .308 in Alaska, as it won't meet F&G Specs.
    #2... Our unit 13 Grizzly Bears run from 7 ft to 13'9"...I would rather be overgunned than undergunned when being stalked by one or Charged by one.

#3... Moose can be killed with a .22...does not make it a Humane kill ! Moose are killed by 30-30's, 30/06, and 308 but Most Alaska Hunters use MAGNUMS because of the stopping power, and Bullet performance so they dont risk having to track a wounded moose into the brush for miles and Miles, and if you never been charged by an angry 8 ft tall 1600 lb. moose at point blank range you will never know , you almost feel vulnerable with a .300 Win Mag ...I been there and Done that ! Plus, not everybody gets a Close shot, some shots being 400+ yards on river Gravel bars to get that Bull means I want a Flat shooting Magnum that has lots of punch at even that range or longer , wherever that Trophy Bull might be , Missing or wounding one is a risk I am not willing to take because Of having not enough rifle...
    The 5 main calibers used out here in the Copper river Valley are .300 Mag, .338 Mag, 300 H&H mag, .375 H&H Mag, and 7mm Mag.
    .340 Weatherby, .458 win Mag, .338 Lapua, 45-70 and 30/06 are next.
    The Natives use 30/30's...
    With a .300 Mag, 95% of my Kills are 1 shot now. And I can shoot Dall sheep wth a 150 grain bullet and feel comfortable at taking a 500 yard shot to get that ram on the next ridge over. Drop in a 220 grain and I'm ready for Mr. Grizzly at 10 yards face to face...
  7. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

In North America, in the lower 48, my personal opinion/answer to the initial question, which is really a question, is how much do you want to carry out?

In yesteryear, hunters wouldn't have hesitated to take whatever game they were pursuing with a .308, and not even question if it was adequate for the task.
  8. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

personally I really do not hunt many animals that a .308 cannot put down clean. If I were to go on a once in a life time hunt in alaska I would buy the right gun for the job. I think elk would be the biggest game I would pursue with a .308. I did get a bull 2 years ago but he was pretty small and did not collapse like a white tail he just kinda laid down and died. I was using 180gr partitions and the bullet performed flawlessly. which let me to believe the actual kinetic energy was not enough. Ahh the hell with it I will just get the 300WM for Elk + and keep the .308 for white tail and black bear. Plus if mooseman feels comfy with a 300 mag for the big bears I have to say I would feel good for my top secret moose hunt in maine next year. (dont tell my wife) :scool:
  9. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

thanks for the input fellas.
  10. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Well, there you go...

...and, my shoulder still remembers the impression a 300 WM made on it last fall.

And my heart still recalls the adrenaline rush of the experience...

...SWEET
  11. keymasr5912

keymasr5912 G&G Newbie

hey mooseman, didn't mean to get under your skin. i to have lived and hunted here for years, since 73. the vast majority of that time i lived in the bush on the west coast. our perspectives are similar. i concider the 7mm and 300 to be two of the best calibers to use up here. that is not what the question was. he wanted to know what we thought the largest game was that could be cleanly killed with a 308 not what was the ideal caliber for alaska. anyone that has seen any animals killed with a 30.06 and a 308 knows that there is no noticeable difference between them on game. no caribou or moose is going to be able to tell if the bullet left the barrel going 2800 or 2700 fps. you list the 30.06 as adequate but the 308 as not? you say that the natives kill moose with a 30.30. you are right. at last count my father in law[who happens to be native] had killed 7 with his. i do not want to hunt moose with a 30.30 but it worked for him. you talk about 400 yd shots at moose with your 300. how fast do you think your bullet is going out there? probably no faster than the 308 at 200 yds. the AVERAGE interior griz is only going to square 7-7.5 ft and weigh 300-400lbs. i still think the 308 would be adequate though not ideal. as i stated earlier i do not like the 308 for coastal brownies. they are just to big. even at that it is very rare to encounter one anyplace that will be over 10 ft. i have never heard of this 13ft 9in bear. that would be a real monster and i would like to see it. that sounds like something to impress the tourists. just my opinion.
  12. Kompressor

Kompressor G&G Newbie

.308 is the most common round used here, for moose, reindeer and elk. Or anything else, really. Our moose isn't as big as your northern's though. Not by far!
  13. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

.308 is very well proven for the game most Americans

hunt of which a deer is the largest game taken during hunting seasons.
    Realistically, you might want to consider more powerful calibers for elk and bear.

If you have not fired a .300 Win Mag I would suggest doing so before the purchase as it has a more significant impact on the shoulder than does a .308. It is more than some people can handle. Pulling the trigger can give you a world of insight in this matter.

Good luck and good shooting.
  14. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Yea...

...that 300WM shoulder thump has a language all its own.

And...

...the 300 Ultra Mag is...well, you just gotta experience it for yourself.

I'll just write that it makes my 45-70, loaded hot, seem like a toy...
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  15. Kompressor

Kompressor G&G Newbie

I've just ordered a.... 300 RUM... :scool:

Anyways, I got it for other reasons than those powerful rounds. -Like for a really, really low price. I get buckets of level 1 ammo with it too, and I reload, so I'll be ok for local hunting. Maybe I'll try mountain goat hunting one day, or bear hunting!
  16. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Oh, that's awesome...

...where from and how many Krone/dollars did you have to fork over?
  17. Kompressor

Kompressor G&G Newbie

The rifle + Bushnell 3200 + mount + suitcase = 4.000,- NOK = 730 USD. However, the Dollar is really low now, so in "buying power" it's more like I got it for 500 USD. There's a sales tax on top of that, but I can deduct it. One of the benefits of running your own outfitter shop :D
  18. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Congrats...

...you got a good deal on a great rifle.

How does it shoot for you?
  19. Cleankill47

Cleankill47 G&G Newbie

keymasr5912, have you been able to try Barnes Triple-Shock X-Bullets? I hear good things, but haven't been able to try them yet.

The reason I ask is because of what you've written here, and your having been up North with all the big stuff for so long.

The reason I ask on here instead of a PM is so that everyone else can see your response and get feedback on the ammo they can use themselves.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  20. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Moose, have you heard of anyone using a Barrett .50 BMG to take bear? Or is it just too heavy a rifle (in terms of rifle weight) to carry in the field?