Lay Away Plans a thing of the past.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by stikbutter, Nov 1, 2007.

1. stikbutter

stikbutter G&G Newbie

I went to Academy Sports today to make a :bigeyes:payment om my Mossberg and the man behind the counter told me its a good thing I did it when I did because they are no longer are doing layaway. He said 20% of their firearm sales were layaway and 15% percent would come back and cancel the sale and get their money back, or just not come back. I went to walmart after that for baby food and went over to sporting goods like I always do, and ask the man if they were still doing layaways and he said no for the same reason. That sure does put a crimp in my gun buying. As always takes a couple of bad apples to ruin the whole barrel. I'm gonna have to find another way.
  2. mrbassantlers

mrbassantlers G&G Newbie

Check out gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com, some of the bigger gun dealers on there are still advertising layaway and/or financing plans.
  3. mrloring

mrloring G&G Newbie

Walmart now only does layaway on jewelery. My local gun shop has a one year layaway plan and doesn't charge any extra fees!
  4. stikbutter

stikbutter G&G Newbie

Yeah I gonna go check the local shops here as well. The couple I have checked are crazy. For the same Mossberg 4x4 in 308 they wanted 450.00 Academy had it for 298.00. I know support your local but economics are economics.
  5. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

Centerfire Arms in Riverside, CA still does layaway.

They have another habit I like: when they tie a price tag to a gun it has not only the retail price, but an "out-the-door" number that includes all fees and taxes. So you know to the penny what your actual cost will be, before they ring it up.
  6. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

That's a really good idea Troy. I hate having to figure out that stuff before I make a purchase. Besides, doing the math gives me time to talk myself out of it.
  7. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

That's only 3 sales out of every on hundred that would cancel. Not a very good policy to say PISS OFF to 17 other buyers.
  8. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Yeah, most of the large retailers want you to go the "store credit card" route. The only problem with that is, I despise credit cards! I believe them to be the most evil thing Satan ever created. :evil:
  9. cubbieman

cubbieman G&G Newbie

why not just take the money you would put into lay away payments and put it aside in a wad of cash until you have enough for the gun? it takes the same amount of time to get it anyways.
  10. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

^When you have a spouse and kids...there is no money if you put it aside like that. You'll always find something else you can do with it.
  11. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

Well, that doesn't work very well with impulse purchases. If you see a particular milsurp or other used weapon you want on the shelves, it may be gone before you get back with the cash. And even with new ones they may be out of stock by the time you get the money together, or the price may have gone up. Or the sale might be over...

I've bought three or four guns at Centerfire Arms. Since California has a 10-day waiting period anyway, I usually hand them a down payment to start the clock ticking, and pay the rest when I come in to pick up my new toy. That gives me another paycheck to spread the financial hit a little.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  12. Rave

Rave G&G Enthusiast

This may be stretching it a bit,but like the Rhino in California blessing the fireing pin business,thus helping to pave the way to no California pistol sales,this may be another step toward doing away with cash and going to all plastic?:thinking:
  13. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

I wouldn't say it's part of a conspiracy, Rave. But it's definitely part of a trend in the direction you're talking about...
  14. stikbutter

stikbutter G&G Newbie

Amen to that when the kids come and give the puppy dog face I'm done. My wife says I have a lolly pop on my forehead but I cant help it, its those big eyes and droopy lower lip that gets me.LOL
  15. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

Yep, some emergency seems to always require you to spend what you have put back. Funny thing is, that when you do the layaway and the emergency comes up - the money still seems to show up from somewhere. That's why I do the layaway deal as well. I am lucky that my local gun shop will let me do 1/3 down and the rest in two months. I have a Glock 34 waiting on me now! Sometimes this is the only way to go for working folks - especially those with a kid in college and a wife with a shoe fetish!:09:
  16. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

i personally would never even consider using layaway, but from a stores standpoint it makes sense to offer it. they basically give the incentive to buy something you could not otherwise afford. seems like an easy way to increase sales, with the only negative being the small administrative costs. plus they hold some of your money, making interest off of it while you pay it off.
  17. stikbutter

stikbutter G&G Newbie

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LMAO mine likes shoes to and pures that match.:34:
  18. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

Layaway with no extra fees makes sense. Layaway with no cancellation fee doesn't. May depend on the type of store and goods. Type of goods would also affect whether layaway makes sense to you.

If a store stocks a product regularly, it amkes no sense to lay it away vs saving up for it. However if it's a rare item or an unbeatable price, laying it away makes sense. So the independent gun shops have more incentive to do it in the first place. Also, if X percent of customers jerk out of the deal, a big store, usually a chain that sells new guns at lower prices, will get hurt more. Also, if they hold a hard line and the customer makes a public stink, it affects a larger store, maybe even the whole chain.

One gun shop had so many layaway cancellations that they would keep layaway guns on the shelf to show people who would be interested if the layaway was cancelled.
  19. aris_unlimited

aris_unlimited G&G Regular

Wal-mart does not allow lay-a-ways here either, but thankfully all the gun stores I go to still do. They realize that not many people can walk in and just throw down $400 and up (depending on the type of gun) on a gun and not have it alter their lifestyle for that pay period at least.
  20. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

I don't usually use lay-away either, and I definately will not use a credit card. If the item I want is less than $300 I will usually buy it outright, anything over that I will layaway just because I don't like to spend that much money all at once. Just in case of an emergency, ya know, and to keep the wife from saying "You spent how much on another gun?":hitwithrock::34: