Lee drivekey vs Lyman foster vs Lyman sabot

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by rifleman14, Sep 22, 2009.

1. rifleman14

rifleman14 G&G Newbie

ok so currently i cast the lee drivekey 1 oz slugs and havent tried casting the lymans. ive heard better things about the lymans though. my loads with the lee drivekey 1 oz slugs get about 6 or 7 inch groupings at 25 yards from a steady bench rest. this is unacceptable as i use this shotgun and load for deer hunting. so i have a few questions.....
    1) Are the lyman foster slugs more accurate than the lee drivekeys?
    2) Would i need a rifled barrel for the sabot slugs or would i get great groups with the smoothe bore that i use?
    3) The lyman foster slugs are designed to be used with filler wads(fiber and cardboard and plastic), then the slug with NO plastic petals surrounding it, the a roll crimp..CORRECT?
    4) would i notice a huge difference in accuracy when switching from the lee drivekey slugs to the lyman fosters that would make the $60 molds worth it?
  2. rifleman14

rifleman14 G&G Newbie

come on guys. need some answers please
  3. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

You need a rifled barrel for any sabot slug, as for the comparison on the lee drivekey vs. lyman I cannot answer that question. 6-7" groups :eek: are horrible, especially at only 25 yards. Have you tried standard over the counter foster type slugs, like Remingtons or Winchesters?? Hope someone will come along with the answers you need. A rifled barrel will work with all types of slugs and just might be the cure for your accuracy problem...
  4. rifleman14

rifleman14 G&G Newbie

ive tried winchester 3" rifled slugs..magnum(OUCH!! had an instant headache after 15 rounds). they werent any better. i thought the rifled barrels only worked for saboted slugs or slugs that were the same sime as the lands and grooves in the rifling like on a regular rifle or handgun. so youre saying that rifled slugs will still work in a rifled barrel?
  5. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

Yes, you can shot foster style slugs from a rifled barrel, have you tried 2 3/4" shells, the 3" shells aren't all there cracked up to be. The rifling on foster style slugs actually do not make them spin in a smooth bore barrel. Try a lot of different brands and styles and if they all shoot bad maybe a new barrel is in order...
  6. rifleman14

rifleman14 G&G Newbie

well ive only tried groupings with the factory winchester 3" rifled slugs and some old law enforcement remigntons that i think a rifled and theyre 2 3/4". so i'll go to the store soon and buy some remigntons and federals maybe if they have some and try them out
  7. rifleman14

rifleman14 G&G Newbie

well i tried zeroing my shotgun with factory remington rifled slugs and got a 2 1/2" grouping at 25 yards with 5 shots vs 1 1/2 foot grouping at 25 yards with my loads. maybe i should just buy factory slugs lol
  8. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

Startin to get there hey, try the Brenneke one's they are very accurate out of my Winchester 1300 smooth bore. Here is thier web site, take a look...
    Brenneke USA
    Brenneke USA At the center of hunting precision 12 GAUGE SHOTGUN SLUGS FROM BRENNEKE: GOLD MAGNUM AND CLASSIC MAGNUM. NEW: K.O. slug 20 GA 2 3/4" ...
    www.brennekeusa.com/ - Cached
  9. Billyz

Billyz G&G Newbie

Ive had good luck with the brenneke in a smoothbore 20 guage.