Lee-Enfield No.1 Mark III Shotgun

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by Capt'n Mil Coll, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

.410 Lee-Enfield

This is a Lee-Enfield Number 1 Mark 3 bolt action single shot .410.
    It chambers 2 7/8” or 3” .410 shotgun shells.

It is marked .410 R.F.I. 1948. RFI is Rifle Factory Ishapur, India.

The Magazine well is filled with a wooden block and its fitted with a special Trigger Guard and Magazine Plate.

According to US law if it is marked .410 on the receiver like it is, then it is a shotgun.

It has a very clean and shiney bore.

Attached Files:

2. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Suspended

I think that I saw one of those on another thread.
  3. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

They converted lots of these rifles for police use.

quote:

The Ishapore .410 is a converted No1 MkIII rifle. This modification, sanctioned by the Indian government, was introduced to provide the Indian police with a riot-gun.

The essentials of the conversion consisted of boring out the barrel and reaming its chamber to accept the British .410 shotgun shell. The magazine was removed and the magazine well fitted with a wooden plug, this acted as a filler and loading platform for the single shell. Finally, the rear sight was pinned to eliminate adjustment.

The chamber, as stated, was designed to fit the British .410 shell unlike the standard 3-inch .410 chamber. Shells for this rifle would have to be purchased in .410 British or fire-formed .303 cases would have to be used and hand loaded, should the owner wish to go bird hunting.
  4. Farmer

Farmer G&G Newbie

Yeah,

The 410 was originally based on a .303.

If your brave you can put a 410 in your stock 303. I put a cartridge in but havent been brave enough to pull the trigger.
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I'd call that more foolhardy than brave. I value my hands and eyes more than that.
    I remember some vendors selling these .410 Smellys awhile back. Wish I'd picked one up!
  6. irish murphy

irish murphy Suspended

My mate has made 410 brass from 303 shells.Made his own dies too.
  7. timberlord

timberlord G&G Newbie

If this is for 3" commercial ammo then it's been reworked from the original 2.222" the Ishy .410 "riotgun" is chambered for , using .303brit brass.
    I tried a commercial 2 1/2" round in an Ishy 410 and it did not go in ...too big in dia.
    There are civilian conversions that converted SMLE's into 2 1/2" ( usually a Brit conv.) and the more practical 3".
    I have a Brit conversion , stamped in two places as 2 1/2" .410 and re-BNP'd for 3 1/4ton . It still uses a mag which has had the ears ground off and the follower welded to the top of the mag making it a loading ramp for single shot.
    I also tried .410ammo in an LE No1 mag . They just about worked but not quite and I didn't go any further with it.
    This is a "fun" gun that I've had a blast with while bunnie hunting and really gets some fellas going busting clays...
    -" you ain't gonna shoot clays with that ol' 303? are ya? "
    -" wanna bet ? "
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  8. irish murphy

irish murphy Suspended

Most of the aussie lithgow converts used to sit behind the back door as snake guns.One of the properties i shoot on has still got one at the back door and his mrs loves it.Snakes and hares look out.

And i would say you would have more than rocks in your head if you squeezed off a 410 round through a 303.
  9. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

In mine I have shot the 2 7/8" shotshells. In fact I shot a lot of them. Trouble is they are hard to find. It will chamber a 3" shotshell but its very tight. I never tried to light one off. I have a lot of the 2 1/2" slugs but wasnt sure if they could be fired in it so have not done that either. I was told the chamber was opened up a little to accept US .410 otherwise its impossible to find anything to shoot in it in the US. The 2 7/8 is in the white and red box.

Attached Files:

10. irish murphy

irish murphy Suspended

11. REM.303

REM.303 G&G Newbie

I have also heard that you can run 45 Long Colt's in these like you can with a regular .410 shotgun.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  12. irish murphy

irish murphy Suspended

I have heard the same thing but i dont know how safe it is.
  13. moriflegirl

moriflegirl G&G Newbie

We have recently acquired an Enfield .410 shotgun. It has not been modified to accept commercial shells. While we have quite a few of the "straightened" .303 shells to use, I was curious to find out if it is possible to trim down a 2 1/2" shell when reloading, the then crimp it to the correct length. We've never done that sort of reloading before (since 12 guage shells aren't that expensive), but it seems that it would be alot less time consuming if we could just trim off a bit of the hull, instead of playing with the brass (I'm beginning to hate the smell of cream of wheat).

Is this a viable idea or am I totally off my rocker?

Thanks in advance.
  14. timberlord

timberlord G&G Newbie

Remember , the Ishapore .410 originally used fireformed ( straight necked ) .303brit brass.
    It isn't the length of the shell , it's the diameter , at least that was the prob when I tried to chamber a 2 1/2" sporting round in a Ishy .410 .
    The chamber , of the Ishapore .410 has to be reamed out slightly to accept the sport .410
    I wonder why we don't see shot-out No4's converted to .410?
  15. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Because that still makes your rifle a shotgun?
  16. franchi

franchi G&G Newbie

so you can load a .410 into any ol enfield???
  17. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

Sorry Timber, didn't read your post but you confirmed what I have been told as well.

Weren't the original 410's using converted .303 brass? I read somewhere that in order to get them to accept commercial 410 shells you have to have the chamber reamed.

So I wouldn't suggest firing 410 rounds through a .303 Enfield. That just has bad Ju-Ju written all over it.
  18. Beerhunter

Beerhunter G&G Regular

Just a couple of points.

You can't chamber a .410 cartridge in a .303. It won't fit - no ifs buts or maybes.

Second, the case for the Indian .410 Musket round was not fire-formed. Fire-forming is only necessary to convert regular .303 cases - which the Indians didn't do. They built the rounds from the ground up. The rounds (There are several loadings, including a ball round.) are based on an un-necked .303 case. The Indians were able to do this because of the way that cordite loaded .303 rounds were manufactured. The Cordite was first loaded into the un-necked case which was then necked. So un-necked cases can be used as is for the .410 rounds.

As an aside, I once saw a board that showed all of the processes for making a .303 round from scratch, including the necking after loading. It was somewhere in the bowels of the Imperial War Museum.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  19. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

Just got a deal on 2 of the converted Enfields,one is complete a Number 1 MKIII dated 1904,the other has everything bolt ,barrel stock but the trigger guard is missing and the trigger group is missing.Where does one find these parts to restore it for use?I have never messed with a Enfield only Mausers,so alittle help here is needed I send payment tomorrow and was told they were covered in cosmoline except for one that was cleaned the 1904.A post above showed one with Mag installed can they be made to feed from a Mag. ?It will give me about a week to find out more about these rifles that were converted.I have made the all brass shotshells from 303 brass for my singleshot 410 shotguns they are not hard to form and load.Maybe someone here that owns and shoots one might be of help and then there is the parts issue for the incomplete one, where to find parts? I would not be out anything to have one for spare parts but need another project to keep the old hands bussy and only gave $120.00 for both and would apreciate some help.Thanks Dakoma
  20. Invalidsession

Invalidsession G&G Newbie