Lee Loader

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by rooster3006, Jun 7, 2008.

1. rooster3006

rooster3006 G&G Newbie

I have a 30/30 TC Contender and have been trying some loads with a RCBS RC kit. A friend showed me this kit that goes against everything I know about loading. It's a Lee Loader. Basically you put a cartridge together with a hammer. He had one for the 30/30. I tried a few rounds. I went from a group of about 3 inches to about 3/4 of an inch.

I have done the same (RCBS) for my 7mm Rem Mag Ruger #1. I bought the Lee Loader and today put 3 shots on top of each other at 100 yards. I was shooting eggs at 200. The rifle has had some custom work on it and is accurate but never like this.

Anyone else had good results with the Lee Loader??? How about a 223, 243, 30-06, 338???
  2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Glad you are getting into reloading.The problem would be after a few firings you won't be able to chamber the cartridge because they only neck resize ian you have no way to bump them back down co they will chamber.I would think about getting one of those "kits" with a press and multiple dies that will full length resize. sam.
  3. blu97

blu97 G&G Newbie

been using lee loaders for years never had any problems.

full length resizing will shorten case life.
  4. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    +1
  5. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Enthusiast

eventually you will have to re-size the whole case.
    and you can neck size on a press also,with a neck sizing die.
    i can usually go 4-5 shots before full length, with your 7mag your mileage will definately vary.
  6. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

All the stuff I see talked about in regards to reloading, no one knows how much I wish I really had someone near that could assist me. I'm mechanically iunclined, so assembling and disassembling and reloading isn't a concern. It's the other things involved that it would be nice to have someone to help learn the ropes.

Like in the re-sizing and trimming areas and similar. Oh-well, live and learn on my own. It's how I learned to do brakes, R&R transmissions, pull motors and rebuild them etc.etc.etc. lol I'm sure this no less hazardous as doing your brakes wrong, which I never did. Knock wood...
  7. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

start reading reloading manuals, they will walk you through just about anything you'll encounter. most people learn reloading the hard way, by themselves with the help of a few books.
  8. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Yea, I've bought/gotten/have 4 so far LeftyO. I've got Speer reloading manual #13, Hornady 7th edition, Sierra 5th Edition and The ABC's of Reloading 8th Edition so far. I've read some of all, should probably or would probably be better reading one at a time then move onto the next.

Another one I'm looking to get is the Lyman 48th Edition. Trying to get a little from everyone. Anything you'd recommend I don't have or didn't mention Lefty?
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  9. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Good selection...You are catching up with Me...LOL
    Rich
  10. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    hmmmmmmm...
    that sounds vaguely familiar...:09:

hey moose or sam or somebody,
    whats this for?
    hows that work?
    should it do that?
    what if i?
    why did it?
    etc.
  11. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Suspended

If you only load a few cartridges, Lee makes a very cheap and easy to use case triming system. They sell a "chuck" that holds the head of the case in a drill. Then you hand feed a length guage pin into the case that fits through the primer hole and against the chuck. It has a cutter on the end of it. If the case is too long then the cutter trims the case until the pin hits the chuck. Very easy and very fast. You do have to buy the cartridge holder for each head size of cartridge, and the pin length is specific to each cartridge.

[​IMG]

Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment: Case Condidtioning Tools

It costs $6 for the chuck and cutter which fits most cartridges, and then $5 for each specific cartridge (length guage and shell holder). You don't want that silly wind up thing that Lee also sells. Just use a 3/8" drill to spin the chuck part, and hand hold the cutter.

On resizing, opinions vary widely on the best way. I full length resize every time and get about 20 rounds before the neck cracks. If you anneal which is not so easy, you could probably get a lot more. Here is a procedure on how to do it correctly. The secret is to to use a welder "temp stick" which is a wax crayon designed to melt in a specific temperature range. Most procedures you find will have you heating it until it glows red. Even if this is done in the dark, this temperature is too high and you will ruin the brass. For this procedure you use the same chuck described above for triming and hold the case in a drill to spin it while heating.

June, 96 Cases

I have seen some very dedicated target shooters claim they can reload a case essentially forever by doing the minimum sizing, buying Lapua brass, and annealing. I would just rather buy new brass.

Hope that helps some,

Ron
  12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Here again,think before you post,or at least know what you are posting about.If you fire 3 hot loads and suddenly your case will not chamber and you have no way to bump it back to acceptable demensions to chamber and you have to discard it ,how does that increase case life?Also,beating a case in with a hammer sounds like it would be apt to push the shoulder out so it wouldn't chamber.At one point you will have to full length resize. sam.
  13. blu97

blu97 G&G Newbie

Thanks for insulting me samuel.

If you were to read the insturctions that came with a lee loader you would have noticed the (plastic hammer) that is used when the case is driven into the die. I have used these products for 30 years,

that is when I got a break from the job of building solid fuel rocket motors, Tomahawk, Titian, Standard, Shuttel Booster Seperation motors, JSOW shaped charges and Atlas booster motors that sent New Horizon towards Pluto.

But then, what would I know about propellants or reloading.
  14. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

My sincere apoligies!The last thing I would want to do is agitate one more thinskinned member of this forum.As you say,you have all kinds of experience building rockets and such,it makes me wonder why you would mess with the lowest priced,lowest technoligy, loading equipment available for 30yrs unless they didn't pay good.All I ever did was operate heavy equipment and some welding.I Don't have half of your brains so I have to use higher tech equipment to make up for my ignorance.As to your plastic hammer,it seems that forcing a case into a die is going to take so much energy whether you apply it with little whacks with a plastic hammer or all at one time with a press.Thanks for letting me know how knowledible you are and straightening me out on case life. sam.
  15. blu97

blu97 G&G Newbie

The 1000yd world record holder is using a lee collet die.
    The old record was held by a man using a lee loader.
    I always wondered what it took to become a vip member.

I guess knowledge isn't one of the things you have to have.

Go weld something
  16. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Can you post verification that the 1000yd world record holder used a Lee collet die,or that the old record was held by a man using a Lee Loader?I would like to verify some of your "facts" so I can have a little of your wisdom.Don't be afraid to post the verification,as I will never be as knowledgible as you claim to be.Thank you. sam.
  17. blu97

blu97 G&G Newbie

It's called google
  18. deadman03

deadman03 G&G Regular

have you tried neck sizing in a press, it might would offer the same results, eventually you will have to full length resize them.
  19. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

In other words you post what is supposed to be facts about competitors and reloaders with no verification.I see a lot of that.I just don't learn much from it. sam.
  20. blu97

blu97 G&G Newbie

sam how much lee reloading equipment do you use?