Light Ball- Heavy Ball

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by smokem, Nov 10, 2006.

1. smokem

smokem G&G Newbie

I just bought some Yugo Heavy Ball ammo and was wondering what the differences between heavy ball and light ball ammo was (besides the obvious answer of weight). I have only used light ball surplus stuff in the past and wanted to know how different they are. Also, is it even safe to use heavy ball on my Mosin m91/30?
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

"Heavy ball" is essentially machinegun ammo. The heavier bullet has better ballistics for the MG useage. Some nations, like Finland, designed their rifle barrels to work best with the heavy ball ammo, thus making logistics easier - only one type ammo to stock! My Finn M-39 really prefers the heavy stuff.
    My old M1891 and hex-receivered 91/30 prefer the light ball.
  3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Less recoil...I use Czech 147 gr Silvertip and Czech 44 gr practice ammo...fun stuff!
  4. smokem

smokem G&G Newbie

yeah, i thought it would be along those lines. Also, (even though this isnt the case and i know its wrong but its just a common sense type question) wouldnt light ball ammo be better for MGs since it fires so many rounds and the recoil is lighter? Rifles using 7.62x54r fire only one shot per trigger-pull so it allows it to pack all its punch into one round, therefore since only one bullet is used at a time, the more powerful the bullet, the better it is. Finally, my last question resumed unanswered: Is it safe to shoot heavy ball ammo with my Soviet M91/30?
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Yes, it's safe to shoot. It'll just thump you a little harder, and your vertical shot placement may change a bit.

MG's need the heavier ammo, as it gives more impact to target, and it gives a bit greater range. Simple physics - a heavier bullet travels farther with a flatter trajectory up to a point.
  6. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

I realize I am bumping an OLD thread here, but I don't think my question was answered after reading this thread.

What range is Light ball? What range is Heavy Ball?
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Here is my example (This is only an example.)...

Light Ball: 140gr to 150gr

Heavy Ball: 170gr to 200gr

That is what I mean by range. Where does Light ball fall into and end and where does Heavy ball take over and end?

Thanks
  7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

^ Am I confused,or what?
  8. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

So you want to know the bullet weights that are classed as light ball and the bullet weights that are classed as heavy ball, right? Are those examples you posted anywhere near real world weights, or did you just pull them out of thin air? I haven't paid enough attention to my SKS lately to even know what weight ammo I have at home, but it's Russian and wrapped in little white paper box like envelopes.
  9. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Enthusiast

Light is on the left, Heavy on the right.