Longest shot with air rifle?

Discussion in 'Air Rifles' started by paynetrain, Feb 8, 2010.

1. paynetrain

paynetrain G&G Newbie

Just curious about everyones experience using .22 and .177 cal air rifles, whats the longest shots fired successfully getting a kill hunting small game?
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. paynetrain

paynetrain G&G Newbie

Ok so no one knows, well let me rephrase the question, how far do you think you could shoot your .22 or .177 cal pellet rifles and it be effective on smallgame?
    Opinions appreciated.
  3. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I shot a squirrell from my deck to the wood line with my RWS .177. I never measured it, but figure it at a good 40-50 yards. Had to be some luck involved.
  4. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

I shot one of those 1600 FPS pellet rifles and killed a bunny at about 80 yards
  5. bigbuddy21

bigbuddy21 G&G Enthusiast

i shot a treerat with my crossman .177 at 35yds and dropped him with one shot. he was on the move too.
  6. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Enthusiast

Longest kill shot I've made on a squirrel is 25 yards, but my pellet gun only does 750 fps...I've killed black birds with it at 40 and 50 yards, doesn't take much to dispatch them.
  7. Dust

Dust G&G Newbie

Depending on the caliber, pellet weight, and gun being the big one, people have smacked critters at 100 yds plus.
  8. Whootsinator

Whootsinator G&G Newbie

Once when I was a much smaller lad, I saw a flock of English sparrows in a tree. I pumped the rifle up to 14 even though it's supposed to only go to ten and shot into the group, aiming for a particular black dot. The one I was aiming at didn't fall, but another did, and it was easily over 100 yards. Absolutely all luck.
  9. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I popped a gray squirrel with my Red Ryder at about twenty feet. It bounced off him, he scrambled up the tree and scolded me something fierce. He was MAD! :09:

Have not shot a critter with my barrel-cocking air rifle (Spanish-made WalMart el-cheapo .177) - it's proven accurate to 50 yards if I can control the very heavy trigger! Would likely nail a small bird or squirrel with a head shot.
  10. paynetrain

paynetrain G&G Newbie

Cool, nice stories about long shots, Id have to say a black bird from about 30 feet was my longest kill.
  11. Urban Knight

Urban Knight G&G Newbie

Lucky shot hit a bird on top of a tree 50 meters high, got another one 40 meters away also in a tree. Wasn't able to hit more my son requested I don't shoot the birds anymore unless we cook them. Good thing they were edible. Used the cheapest local made air rifle here in the Philippines, using CO2 gas tanks to power them and used 177 flat pellets also local made. Heard of local hunters using better quality-made 177 airrifles making 50-100 meter hits using 3x9 powered scopes. Hope this helps.
  12. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

1 1/2 mile shot on a little itty bitty wabbit. With a .22

The day was calm no wind. The air was cool but little moisture. I hunkered down in my sniping roost. Using my spotting binocs I saw a itty bitty wabbit eating grass on top of this hill down about 1 1/2 from me roost. I slowly pulled my rifle up to shooting position. I scoped that itty bitty wabbit in. You could tell there was tension in the air as his nose started to twitch faster. I think he knew his time was near up. I chambered a round and brought him back on target. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes. Opened them back up and took aim once more, the poor itty bitty wabbit didn't stand a chance. I pulled the trigger and the crack of the gun sounded and the wabbit was down for the count. He suffered none and he tasted good too. The one shot one kill that day will never be repeated my friends.

All joking aside, I have never tried to take small game out yet with either one.
  13. paynetrain

paynetrain G&G Newbie

ROFLMAO! Now that was funny!
  14. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

You like that? LOL, thought it up on the fly there.
  15. dog party

dog party G&G Newbie

The longest shot I've ever taken was 65 yards with my RWS Diana .22cal through the scope (I can't recall the scope's power right at this moment). I was 16 years old.

I was in a structure at one end of a 65 yard wide grassy field and the little bugger went scampering across the fall leaves and up a tree at the other end. The mobile pot-meat decided to stop moving 6' up the tree, centered perfectly on the trunk with its back directly toward me. I aimed at the center of its head and hit it in the spine just below the base of the skull. When I got to it, it was paralyzed and hanging on the tree, still alive.

It was the only "mercy kill" I've ever had to perform (and I've been hunting for 20+ years since then). I'll never take a shot at a living creature again without the proper equipment. I don't suggest any shot over 50 yards with an air rifle unless you're shooting at targets. Heck, 50 yards is probably past the limit for most air-rifles. My pellet covered the distance just fine, my aim was near perfect...but the pellet only had enough energy left at that distance to break the little buggers spine, not kill it.
  16. paynetrain

paynetrain G&G Newbie

What a great story dog party, I like the term "mobile pot meat" lol!
  17. DefenderBob

DefenderBob G&G Newbie

Mine was at a measured distance of about 244 . . . . .

That's 244 centimeters, or about 8 feet. With my .22 cal pellet rifle pumped up to maximum I would stalk gophers until they ran into holes in the rock piles in the meadow near our cabin. Then I would sit up on the rock pile and wait.

The gophers would always sneak out within a couple of minutes to see where I was. With my confident memories of these hunts going back about 35 years I just know that I nailed all of them with head shots, and it was always one shot made for one kill.

Skinned, dressed, and boned, it would only take about 30 of them to make a proper stew for our family of four. However, I always just left 'em for the coyotes.

This was also about the time when I learned that stick matches made wonderful muzzle loading incendiary bullets. After cocking my BB gun I would stuff the match down the barrel, and when the match tip hit a hard target it would explode into flames. I'm lucky I never started a fire in the pine needles.

I had some good times as a kid.
  18. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

did you use just the head or the whole match
  19. DefenderBob

DefenderBob G&G Newbie

I used the whole match. That probably helped stabilize it (somewhat) in flight. At the time I never thought about breaking off the match head.
  20. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

I will be trying this.... sounds like fun...