Looking at a Rossi 971

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by lowercase, Nov 14, 2008.

1. lowercase

lowercase G&G Newbie

I'm looking at a Rossi 971 .357 Magnum with a blued finish and 4" barrel. I already have a GP100 with the same specs. I'm looking to get the Rossi "just because". Bud's guns has them for $309.

Does anyone have one? If so, how do you like it? They seem to get decent reviews, especially now since Taurus has purchased Rossi.

I'm also looking at the Taurus 65 and 66.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]
  2. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I've never shot the 971 but have shot a couple other Rossi models and they are good low cost, high quality guns. Both the Taurus 65 & 66 are good too. Taurus bought Rossi several years back and they are pretty much all the same. Either gun is good. I might go with the Taurus just because it is a more respected name and Taurus' warranty can't be beat. I've been looking at picking up a Tuarus .357 myself. I might have to hold off a few months to keep peace in my house. I've bought 4 guns in the last two months. Just ordered my 9MM XDM before Adolf Obama does away with the 19 round magazine. My wife is starting to think I'm going overboard.
  3. Todd Bayliss

Todd Bayliss G&G Newbie

I've had a Rossi 711, which is basically a stainless 971, for almost 20 years. Its been a great, reliable gun.

Only troubles I've had was that when I first got it one of the chambers had not been relieved around the area where the rim of the cartridge sits and so the cylinder wouldn't close with a round in that chamber. Took me 5 minutes with some sandpaper to fix. Also, for some reason the front sight sits at an angle along the barrel so I had to adjust the rear sight extremely to one side.

Other than that, it goes bang every time and shoots groups you can circle with your thumb and finger. I've blown through 50 rounds of 158 gr .357mag in 10 minutes, getting the barrel so hot the point of impact drifted and when it cooled off it was still dead on.

One thing about it is that although its about the size of an S&W K-frame, it has a full circle forcing cone which increases the durability.
  4. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

I don't have one but the ones I"ve seen were
    very good quality.