Looking for a coyote rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by mosin_sniper, May 5, 2006.

1. mosin_sniper

mosin_sniper G&G Newbie

Hey everyone. I'm just getting into hunting coyotes and was hoping to get some advice about what kind of rifle I should look into. I have used my Savage .22 for some time and am pretty good with it, but my friends tell me that it isn't strong enough for coyotes. So I went down to the local gun shop and looked at some rifles in my price range. So far I am looking at a Mosin Nagant M91/30 using 7.62x54r rounds. The other rifle is a Turkish M-48 Mauser 8mm. Either of these guns will run me about $200.00 before scope and ammo. If I can't find anything else, I'll go with one of these. Please note that my budget limits me to about $300.
  2. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

Many good options for around $300.
    Here's a couple:
    http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/hunter.aspx
    These can be excellent shooters, and you always have the option of many other calibers offered. Usually for around $100 or so. The rifle it's self sells for around $250 or so. If you don't want the fancy Laminates you can go synthetic or wood, these are around $200.

http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm
    Also another good choice. Same old proven Savage action, in a new packange and an excellent price too. Any where from $250-300.

Coyotes don't need a lot of "kill'n" though without a doubt a hit from a Mosin or Mauser would take care of any out there....elk for that matter :D
    Just depends on what caliber you want and what setup you desire.
  3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I hunt Coyote and Fox up here with a.22 loaded with CCI Stingers because I want to save the Hides and not blow big holes or bloody them up too bad.
    The 7.62 (30 cal) or 8mm is a bit large for a dog sized animal in my opinion but something in the line of .222 or .223 or .243 would give some long distance flat shooting accuracy and be devastating on that size target.
    I will vote for the Mosin Nagant if you must have Big !
    Rich
    PS...Dont discount an SKS or AK in 7.62X39...The SKS being a Bit more accurate in my book!
    Last edited: May 5, 2006
  4. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

An FMJ in any of those calibers should do the trick. Especially a 7.62 or 8mm! Just make sure whats behind your target.
    I also say why not the trusty 223? Cheap to shoot, and a ton of bullet varities. Not to mention on of the more accurate calibers.
  5. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

The biggest variables in the equation are, how far do you want to shoot and how much do you want to spend? If you are on a strict budget (who isn't?), I would suggest the lowly NEF single shot chambered in .223. This is an inexpensive gun shooting inexpensive ammo that can also be very accurate. If you want a repeater, Savage is an excellent choice. Some of the SKS's are great up to 200-250 yds-my Chinese model would group a full 10 rd mag into less than 2"" @100 yds offhand (standing) with almost any ammo. I am currently shooting a $90.00 Mosin Nagant M-39 using 110 gr. Sierra Varminter hollow-point handloads that are pretty awesome on 'yotes. This load is worthless for hide-hunters though- large exit holes are the norm.
  6. Triplesixkoe

Triplesixkoe G&G Newbie

I reccomend buying any sks or a mauser. The .223 gun itself could get pricy...
  7. mosin_sniper

mosin_sniper G&G Newbie

[Toolman] "The biggest variables in the equation are, how far do you want to shoot and how much do you want to spend?"

As far as range is concerned, I don't plan on engaging outside of 150 yards, but I'll probably zero in at 100. Also, in an ideal world I would like to get my rifle, scope, and some ammo for under $300. But since I am a realist, I expect to spend more along the lines of $350 give or take.

I am trying to avoid single shot rifles since I have not yet attained sniper-like accuracy. If I need a follow-up shot, I don't want to be fumbling around trying to get that round in.
  8. USMC0332

USMC0332 G&G Newbie

Choice #1
    $100 turk mauser, $25 Weaver rings and mounts, $15 sling, scope less than $100, Drill & Tap and bent bolt being the variables. Not much if you could do it yourself.

Choice #2
    Mosin Nagant rifle $80-$100(less possibly), Weaver #5 sidemount base and rings $40, scope less than $100, plus purchase-hire out-make bent bolt.
    ( gswagner.com shows how to D&T and bend bolts)
    Choice #3
    $100 SKS with a $40 or less scope mount, and a less than $100 scope

These are gonna be hide killers.

Doesn't Savage make an inexpensive .22 hornet?
    Last edited: May 6, 2006
  9. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

If you are looking to save the hide then the .22-250 is NOT the round to use.

About a month ago I hit one just in front of the left hip and it exited out the other side just behind the right shoulder.

The range was in the neighborhood of 120-150 yards.

The entry wound was clean as a whistle but a gapping hole large enough to put my fist into was at the exit site.

She dropped like a brick where she stood (over a dead lamb at my wifes home on the rez).

As far as 'yotes go I say, "terminate with extreme prejudice."
  10. toolman

FWIW, the Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R can be loaded with light (100-110 gr) bullets to well over 3000 fps. If you aren't worried about ruining a collectable rifle that was produced by the millions(?), you can actually scope one pretty cheaply as well.
  11. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

while im not a big savage fan, on your budget i would look into the stevens line of rifles. by the time you scope a milsurp, you'll be money ahead with the stevens, and more accurate to boot.
  12. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

I wasn't either, Lefty, until I chanced myself to buy the Savage 12VBSS varmint in .22-250.

I'm very impressed with the rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it.

However, in this case it far exceeds the amount Sniper wants to spend.

BTW, my Savage will shoot circles around my buddy's scoped Weatherby.

Yepper......fer sure.
  13. Bookman

Bookman G&G Enthusiast

Don't neglect the NEF. These single-shot charmers are great medicine for coyotes. Plenty accurate enough at 150 yards. I'd recommend a .223 or a .243 caliber.

You won't be handicapped with a single-shot. You can forget about "a follow-up shot". If you can't hit a coyote when it is standing still, you'll never get it on the run. A missed coyote will take off so fast that you won't be able to find it through the scope.
  14. Despoiler

Despoiler G&G Newbie

For the price you can't beat the Stevens rifles. http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm For coyotes I would go with the .243. I just wish that they offered the accutrigger on the Stevens also, I firmly believe that the accu-trigger is the best factory rifle out there.
  15. toolman

If you are staying in that range, you might want to consider a Marlin or Savage in .22 mag. The guns are usually less than $200.00 and a decent scope can be had for $50-70. The ammo is more expensive than standard .22LR but cheaper than most center-fire ammo.
  16. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

The Mossberg is also getting some very good reports, greta price too, about $244 at Walmart. They now come in 243 and 308, with real hardwood stocks.
    http://www.mossberg.com/atr/100_atr.htm
    It doesn't show the 243 or 308 here, but it is availible.
  17. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

Since varmint hunting is done over a wide range of ranges the .22 magnum is not as practical round as one might want.

The .22 mag trajectory and power drops off quick and it would take lots of practice to learn what one ammo does in one gun versus another ammo brand and so on and at what range it is no longer effective.

I think if he were to settle for a .22 mag, even if the guns might be cheaper, he would only regret the selection eventually.
    Last edited: May 9, 2006
  18. toolman

I agree except he stated a 150 yd max range. Within that range, there are several calibers that would work pretty well including the .22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 221 Fireball, etc. I threw the .22WMR out there because of low noise\recoil and the ammo is very common and prett economical to shoot. For his stated purpose and range, a surplus SKS loaded with Wolf hollow-points and a decent scope would work great-sort of a poor-boy AR-15.
  19. Rockh0und

Rockh0und G&G Newbie

I shoot lots of coyotes at that range and a little beyond with my Yugo SKS. Of course I've got 'em there with a .17 HMR, 22 WMR, I wouldn't hesitate to pop one at 100 yd. with my old Ruger 10/22 .22 LR. If you hit 'em right they drop, if you don't they run off and you try again another day. My best was a 175 yd. shot at a trotting coyote with my Marlin .17 HMR. He was going away from me after getting caught trying to kill a newborn calf and I hit him at the base of the skull, he never made another move.

But my vote's on the SKS. Southern Ohio Gun has Yugos right now for $90. A 4x scope and reciever mount is around $40. and ammo is cheap.
  20. Rockh0und

Rockh0und G&G Newbie

OK I looked today and SOG also has the Russian Nagant 91/30 for around $80 in very good to excelent condition. or $100 for one with a laminate stock.