Looking for a Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by Ollpheist, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Ollpheist

Ollpheist G&G Newbie

As my introduction thread states, I'm a writer working on a book. My main character up to this point has been carrying a Ruger (specifically, the M-30/20GBCPC in 7.62x39mm). Someone I know suggested against Ruger because of a problem with broken firing pins after about two thousand rounds, and the lack of aftermarket fixes for the problem.

So here's my dilemma: I'm looking for a reliable 7.62x39mm that's comparable to the Ruger. In order to switch it out and still keep my scenes the same, I need the following in a rifle:

• An overall length of no more than 37".
    • Made from alloyed steel.
    • 20-round clip capability.
    • No more than 7 pounds in weight.
    • Preferably the same loading and firing procedures as the Ruger M-30/20GBCPC
    Help, pretty please?
  2. FS00008

FS00008 Сергей Иванович Мосин. Forum Contributor

3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

i get a $50 consulting fee!
  4. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Enthusiast

ar 15 with a 7.62x39 upper its the only other thing i know of the 7.62x39 made with alloy. but aks are cheaper easier to find.
  5. Henri

Henri G&G Newbie

Have him machine his own weapon, one of a kind? It worked for Blade & Whistler.
    Its hard to get caught in misinformation, if you created the information to begin with.
    Jim Butcher, Dresden Files author, should stay away from firearm specifics because of piss poor research.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  6. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

OK, here is my thought. Have you ever seen a movie where the hero's gun's firing pin broke? No? Well, while you are writing the book why wouldn't you just not write any part where the hero's rifle needed to go to the gunsmith a a critical time in the story? That hero was so good at picking firearms he picked the only Mini-30 ever made that would fire 50,000 rounds with out a problem! Not to mention that this rifle is so accurate it will hold 1" groups at 500 yards!

Heck, think about it....Barnaby Jones could take a snub nosed 38 and hit a bad guy running up a fire escape 100 yards away! He even shot off hand with out using the sights!!!! Now if HE can make that snub nosed 38 shoot that well..........
  7. Pope130

Pope130 G&G Regular

If you have a scene where your character describes the weapon, have him mention that he had a master gunsmith work it over for reliability, and installed a custom made titanium alloy firing pin.

Also, don't say "clip", say "magazine". A lot more gun people will notice that gaff than would be worried about the firing pin reliability.

And: If you still want an alternate rifle; look into the SKS-D and SKS-M. Chinese made SKS's set up from the factory to use AK-47 magazines. Fits all your requirements.

Robert
  8. Henri

Henri G&G Newbie

For me the word "clip" is accepted. I think it goes back to regional & cultural upbringing. Of course if your protagonist has a military background, then the word "clip" should have fallen from his lexicon.
    Sort of like the difference between a violin and a fiddle. I'd never approach a concert violinist and congratulate him by saying "man, you sawed the hell outta that fiddle".
  9. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

I would, but I like popping inflated egos :D
  10. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

I agree with the above 100%. I don't care if the character uses a gun that tends to breaks after 2k rounds, or uses a car door for cover, but when the author hasn't bothered to learn the terminology (clip, magazine, assault rifle, muzzle, slide, etc...), I give up quick.

I think an AR-15 (or m-16?) flat top in 7.62x39 is a really good bet for a replacement.

Another option might be the Saiga Iz-132. Maybe the RPK as well.
  11. Ollpheist

Ollpheist G&G Newbie

Okay, so "magazine" or "mag" instead of "clip". That's a deviance between my upbringing versus my character's. He does have a military background, after all.

As far as the rifle goes, I found that while I had certain details in mind, much of it had not been written. So, looking at 7.62x39mm rifles, I found that I like the following candidates:

Bushmaster - Home Defense & Recreation Rifles
    Saiga 7.62x39 Rifle (with a 20-round mag, of course)