Looking for a scope for my Marlin 795...

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by jlb783, Dec 15, 2009.

1. jlb783

jlb783 G&G Newbie

I was wondering what kind of scope to get for my new Marlin .22.
    I want a cheap one and I found one today and I would like to know if it is a decent (accurate, holds zero well, etc.) scope. It is a tasco rimfire scope. Tasco Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-7X 20 30/30 TV Gloss 3/4"
    Feel free to add suggestions, but I really can't spend more than about $30-$40 tops.
  2. Vekta

Vekta G&G Newbie

It'll be kind of hard to find a decent scope in that price range. I just dropped $117 on a Nikon 4x32 and that is suppose to be a low-end scope. You might find a ok BSA scope in that range. You could check Opticsplanet. com for a Bushnell.

Don't buy a scope, invest in one. I'd suggest saving up and trying to at least find a Nikon rimfire scope for $85. They're out there but they take a little looking to find. It's no Leupold but Nikons are reported to have one of the clearest and brightest site pictures out there, durable to.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  3. stephi4

stephi4 G&G Newbie

The least I would get is something with a 1" tube. If you get something in 3/4" as cheap as the Tasco you will most likely never like the gun.
  4. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

It depends on how much you have and want to spend on one?

I would however suggest these 3 and check Natchez's Shooting Supplies for prices on all 3.

Sightron SI series 3-9X40mm. Anywhere from $115-$130. Or the Leupold Rifleman or Nikon Prostaff, both 3-9X40mm and both run about $199 bucks.

Another option would be the/a Bushnell that would fall within the similar price range. There is one but at the moment I can't remember which it is.

And there is many more that would work within the say $50-$100 price range. Entirely up to you and what you have and want to spend...

Though I should add I went with the Sightron on my Ruger 10/22 and haven't had a problem one. Great clarity as well...
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  5. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

I had nothing but headaches with Tasco scopes. They are much like Ruger rifles...LOL

On my rimfires I currently have BSA & Center Point scopes.

There's a two tricks to the CP scopes, they have locking rings...if you try to turn the adjusters without unlocking the rings, you WILL break the adjuster mechanism. This has caused many folks the problem of "Shooting Around the Clock" & "Failure to Zero"...mostly through their own ineptitude...the second thing is the "Included Rings", in a word, they Stink. Replace with Weaver/Leupold/etc rings.
  6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

One caution on scoping a .22lr and using the grooves on the receiver.Watch the weight and use the lightest scope you can,as it is hard to keep them from slipping using those grooves.Use quality rings.The ones in WM aren't very good. ,,,sam.
  7. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Actually, that reminds me...

The PERFECT accessory for scoping Marlin 795's & 60's.
    https://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=15011
    [​IMG]
    And they are currently running a 15% off deal on Rimfire Central
    FS RIMFIRE TECHNOLOGIES 15% OFF SALE!!!!!!! - RimfireCentral.com Forums
    Use the code and save a few $$$ :)

With this rail you can use any typical rifle mounts instead of the tiny 3/8 mounts...which should be self-explainatory. And THIS rail does NOT slide, it has 6 screws that hold it secure.
    It's easily ten times better than the Weaver TO-10 rail I used to use.
  8. Vekta

Vekta G&G Newbie

I just got my Nikon 4x32 prostaff and it came with some surprisingly nice rings. They're a tad heavy to be aluminum and they hold the receiver grooves really tight.:33: ...:dunno:

If they're really any good only time will tell but they look, feel, and hold good. They look exactly the same as these rings on brownell's only they only use one screw per ring to hold the rail.

7.3 RINGS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

I read on Nikon that some of there rings are made by Warne Scope Mounts. Makes me wonder if Warne made these rings to.
  9. 101MP

101MP G&G Newbie

I have a BSA Clasic on my .22. It is a great scope and I am shooting dime size groups at 50 yards. I keep the gun in my tool boxed in a hard case and everytime I use it the scope is dead on.
  10. izzyandal

izzyandal G&G Newbie

I just installed a GAMO 4x32 scope on my grandson's 795. It comes with the rings and it was a snap to install.