Looking to get gunsmith work done

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Wigglesdabum, May 3, 2011.

1. Wigglesdabum

Wigglesdabum G&G Newbie

I cant find anyone that is able/willing to do some work on my sporterized Mosin nagant. I bought heavy UK-59 barrel as well as the rock solid mount and need someone to fit the barrel and recrown it as well as drill and tap the receiver. None of the business or people I am going to say they are able to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Well, what part of the country do you live in?

If you haven't done something like this already, Gunbroker has a list of transfer dealers in your area and surrounding areas. Maybe there will be some gunsmiths in that area that you have not already called.
  3. Wigglesdabum

Wigglesdabum G&G Newbie

I live in upstate SC, no I havnt done anything like this before. I havnt checked gunbroker before but I will take a look thanks for the advice.
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Wiggles, first: Welcome to the Forum. I think you'll like it here.

Second, there are two members who may be able to help you who live more or less in your part of the world. Try sending PMs to SeabeeScotty and jmeck. Scotty is a gunsmith who lives in Oklahoma and you could talk to him on the phone and when you agree on terms, UPS him the rifle. jmeck says he just a machinist -- he's too modest to call himself a genius, which when it comes to the Mosin Nagant he really is -- but he might be able to do what you would like done.

Either one will give you top quality service and enjoy the job while they are doing it, which counts for more than you might think. You can find them both in the Members' List. Good luck!
  5. tobnpr

tobnpr G&G Enthusiast

Just keep the law in mind- you don't want to run afoul of the BATF and end up in federal prison.

A "machinist" can certainly do the work for you if they're experienced- but they have to do it while you're there (meaning local, obviously) if they are not a licensed as a gunsmith by the BATF. Receivers can only be left overnight with licensed smiths.

Anytime you ship a firearm (the serial-numbered receiver), it must go to a gunsmith.

My C&R certainly doesn't make me an expert in these laws- but that's my understanding...suggest you research the law yourself if you're considering having the work done by anyone other than a gunsmith.

There are a few threads floating around on this forum, and others re: the UK-59 barrel. I considered it myself until I fully realized all the work involved. It's an interesting project, just be sure you know what you're getting into.

The barrels are very wide at the receiver- 1-1/2" if I recall correctly- probably making them too wide to fit the MN stock or an aftermarket like Boyd's. From what I've seen, the barrel also needs to be profiled the entire length down to a smaller diameter that will fit the stock.

Good luck, and be sure to share the results!
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  6. frenchy

frenchy G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

WELCOME Wigglesdabum, another member, sbowers5 is a long time gunsmith.
    frenchy
  7. Wigglesdabum

Wigglesdabum G&G Newbie

Thanks for the information guys. I dont think that 1 1/2 inches is to think for the Boyds stock. I havnt seen the one I ordered yet since I am away from home but I feel like it could accommodate a barrel that thick. And if it turns out that the barrel is too big, I will just get a custom stock rather than change the barrel. Ive already ordered everything that I need for the rifle I just have to get the skilled labor done on it. Ive already shelled out to much to turn back now hah. Thank you for the legal advice, I will make sure my ass is covered before doing business.
  8. mattm44

mattm44 G&G Newbie

ya i would definitely hit up steve(sbowers) ive seen pics of his work looks really good and just through talking to him ive learned alot he knows what hes talking about and doing