Low recoil self defense handgun

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by aris_unlimited, Jul 3, 2013.

1. aris_unlimited

aris_unlimited G&G Regular

Needing some help here guys. Normally I don't have many questions about guns, but I am one of those guys that "bigger is better" has always been my philosophy with guns lol (as some of you may know by my next purchase being a 500 s&w).

Now on to the problem. My mom has arthritis in her hands, and she needs something she can use for plinking and home defense. Right now she has a Ruger sp101 in 38/357. She complains every time she shoots it, and her hands tend to swell up on her with extended use. She did try my dads Walther pk380 and she liked that more. So I am thinking something in a semi auto (hoping the slide will absorb some recoil) with a smaller caliber. The walther is my dads ccw so it doesn't get left home a lot.

Any ideas would be great. My dad keeps looking for .22lr semi autos, and I am trying like hell to keep him away from them lol. Mostly because the .22 isn't much of a round, though better than nothing. But I haven't seen many .22 semi auto pistols that are very reliable. Although I blame most of that on the crappy quality control of .22 ammo.
  2. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Well these are always the first two guns that come to my mind.

A Ruger .380 LCP.
    Or a S&W model 60 .38 cal
  3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

If she can rack the slide and concealed carry isn't the sole intended use I would suggest a full size 9mm such as a CZ75. Small revolvers, compact semi-autos, etc are problematic to people with hand and wrist problems other than arthritis too. A BIL of mine had similar problems with his CZ82 and subsequently used it in a trade for a EAA Witness in 9mm and is much more happy. When looking at full size 9mm handguns I would look at the steel guns instead of the polymer guns as that slight decrease in weight is offset by a slight increase in felt recoil and/or muzzle flip which would exacerbate the medical issue...

PS: Another suggestion I'd make if concealment isn't the main concern would be a full size 4" or 6" revolver like a Ruger GP100 with 38 Special loads instead of the 357 magnum ammo.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  4. Jay

Jay Old man, no tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

Several of my students are elderly, and familiar with arthritis. More than a few of them have progressed to the point that they can deploy 10 .22 cal rounds into a pie pan in 5 or so seconds from 15 feet.

The caliber to use is the largest caliber one can proficiently, and comfortably control. Caliber doesn't count until you can demonstrate accurate shot placement. :usa2:
  5. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Kel Tec PMR 30 , No recoil and gun only weighs `13.6 oz. 22WMR magazin holds 30 rounds and it has about the same muzzle tq as a .38 or .380 and is so much fun to shoot
  6. DWFan

DWFan G&G Enthusiast

When you shrink the gun, you increase the kick. Physics won't be denied. Bullet weight makes a difference too. Winchester makes a 950fps 110gr (220 fpme) .38 Special load where Federal's low-recoil .380 ACP is a 90gr bullet at 1000 fps (200 fpme).
  7. variolamajor

variolamajor G&G Enthusiast

+1

I have a .22 magnum derringer. While loud - the .22 magnum has no recoil and a couple .22 mag slugs to your dome or ricocheting around inside of you will give you a pause. Contrary to "street logic" that bigger is better you'd be surprised by the number of people who die from a .22 each year. It's not the "shock" - as handgun slugs really don't cause that much - as much as the bleeding that kills most folks. The "puny" .22 has a reputation for bouncing around inside of people tearing things up. Remember - one almost did Reagan in.
  8. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Do you own one and have shot it a lot ?

Reason I ask is it looks like it would fill the bill, but autoloaders in .22 WMR are notoriously prone to FTFs due to the long case rimfire. If it works well this might be a good option.

To the OP, I'd recommend shooting the SP with lower power .38 loads--maybe like wadcutters. If this is still too much I'd go with the .22 Magnum. There was a post here about the swing out cylinder NAA which had a ballistic link from one of the site members. I'd consider something in .22 Mag--maybe an LCR or if her hand can cycle it a single six or the aforementioned PMR if it works.

Also, is it the recoil or the cycling of the action which bothers her hands ? This would make a significant difference in your choice.

The .22 WMR, while not my first choice, has a fair bit of energy when it can get up to speed.
  9. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Yup, a good .22 will get the job done. It's the choice of assassins world-wide. You can get decent .380 defense ammo these days too, or a Makarov.
  10. Nerd

Nerd G&G Newbie

I have a Bersa Thunder .22, and pair it with CCI Stingers, Velociters, or Mini-mags - no reliability issues so far. I picked up a box of Remington .22 Viper but haven't tried them yet. The Thunder requires high-velocity ammo so you won't be tempted to use the lower-quality bulk stuff.

As an added bonus the Bersa should be similar to the Walther in terms of size and weight. Mine (all black) looks like a PPK.
  11. DocAitch

DocAitch G&G Regular

The Ruger SP 101 is available in .327 Fed Mag as well. This can be down graded to 32 H&R, 32 S&W Long or 32 S&W with a reduction in effectiveness as well as recoil.
    DocAitch
  12. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

What's wrong with the old stand by? A .38 special revolver. DA would be the ticket. It's easier to pull the hammer back than racking the slide on any auto.
  13. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

900 rounds through her , not a Hic-up yet . And it's very accurate. keeps the raccoon's off the feeders at night

Attached Files:

• pmr1.jpg
      pmr1.jpg
      File size:
      178.1 KB
      Views:
    • pmr2.jpg
      pmr2.jpg
      File size:
      102.9 KB
      Views:
  14. FortyXDM

FortyXDM Super Moderator

Nice ! What is it ?

to the OP: I know your original post was a handgun question, but you might consider a 20 ga. (or .410) where both hands can be used. Low brass for the 20, and 2 1/2 inch for the 410. Both with a dose of # 5's
  15. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

The PMR 30 I was asking about. If this feeds reliably it would be a very good choice; 30 rounds of 22 WMR. I guess from the reply it does so it would be a very good choice.
  16. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Like the new Smith and wesson in 380 with laser.
  17. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

for low recoil and ease of use....the full-size .38 duty gun is hard to beat. They are very mild, and mild .38 ammo can be found too.

Even my snubnose .38 is very mild....it does have rubber grips though.
  18. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

You mean the Bodyguard, like mine? Really hard to rack for such a small pistol, and double action only trigger.

Don't think she would like it.

[​IMG]
  19. Jay

Jay Old man, no tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

All well intentioned posts, but the question is, "what does SHE like, and what is SHE able to become proficient with. Only the lady can answer that.To obtain that answer, SHE needs to at least handle, and/or preferably shoot as many firearm candidates as she can, so that SHE can decide what suits HER the best.

Not having her hands, or physical abilities, it doesn't matter that I think, it matters what SHE thinks, and experiences. With many semi-auto's, technique can be as proficient as strength in some functions. The slides in "all" semi-auto's are NOT always more difficult to cycle than cocking a revolver.
  20. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Yep thats the animal Gandog. looked at one yesterday. I like the looks and the small size especially for a packin trail gun when I hike with my dog. Looks fun for takin pot shots at whatever. Nice and compact. Makes a nice hideout gun for concealment. Only got a Smith Wesson CS 9 but I like it for packin. Thanks for showing.