M1 Carbine Prices?

Discussion in 'M1 Carbine' started by asdaven, Jan 14, 2013.

1. asdaven

asdaven G&G Regular

Looking to buy an M1 Carbine. Dont want a new reproduction ones, Id like an original one that was used in WWII. Whats a good price on one? Id assume a non-matching Inland Division varient would be my cheapest bet for an orignal one? Im buy my rifle partly for collecting and partly for shooting. So, matching is not an issue to me as long as it dosent affect function and accuracy.
    Thanks
  2. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Price depends on condition as well as rarity. The ones at my local gun shop are holding steady at around $750, but they look like someone drove a truck onvoy over them on a muddy gravel road. Unless you are looking for one as part of a WWII collection, what do you have against the ones being made by Auto Ordnance/Kahr, or any of the civilian models made from US GI surplus parts? If it's the bayonet lug you want, you can order one from Sarco, Inc. for about $15 and mount it yourself. Is being able to put a bayonet on the thing that vital to you?
  3. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

Good luck finding a USGI one, they're disappearing quickly and the prices are climbing like crazy. If you have a Big 5 Sporting Goods store near you, they might have some in stock, or be able to get one for you. But they won't be cheap and it'll be the nastiest, black, grimy rifle you've ever held. I've never seen a pretty one at a Big 5, but they do have them. You'll pay as much for one there as a new Auto Ordnance, which they also have.

Then there's the whole Form 4473 thing and who knows how long the wait is where you live. It's like, 8 days here in CO. Try to find a private seller, but good luck.
  4. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

USGI carbines are in the market place and most are holding a price of $600-$700 for an average condition. Gunbroker has them on their site but many of them seem to be gold plated in relation to the starting bid and/or buy-it-now prices.

Go slow and be picky with any you find in a gun shop. Big 5 is the worst store in the country to buy any surplus rifle...personally, I wouldn't buy even an ounce of bat-chit at Big 5.

If you cannot find a USGI then why not consider the Kahr/AO product? It is pretty much an accurate reproduction and will probably serve you well.
    A Plainfield clone is made from USGI parts except for the receiver which is a very accurately machined reproduction to the USGI receiver and will be had for alot less money.

If you're looking for the bayonet lugged barrel band...yes, you can find them but they are not all too easy to install without the proper tools. It can be done without tools if you're real careful...but the front sight needs to be removed to fit the bayonet lug in place; of course then the sight needs to be replaced.

In my geographical area, most carbines go for the prices stated above except for Winchester and Rockola...they can be spendy. There is no one carbine that functions better then another so make of USGI doesn't make much difference.

I hope you can find what you want but I highly recommend you do some reading on them so you can enter into your search with reasonable knowledge.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

6. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
    This is great advice. I bought my carbine off of gunbroker 5 or 6 years ago. Of course, things were different then; but, the basics apply. I spent probably 11 months watching them come and go on the auction site. Yes, I missed a couple of good ones being picky or waiting too long. But while I was watching, I was also learning the nuances and researching the different manufacturers. I finally 'pulled the trigger' on an auction and ended up getting a nice carbine. I was heck bent on getting either an IBM or a Rockola. I ended up getting an IBM carbine that was mostly original(...or correct) except for the post war bbl band and rear sight for about half the price it would bring now. Of course, back then...I thought I paid way too much!
  7. frenchy

frenchy G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

8. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 G&G Regular

I bought an IMI carb a few years back. Love the little gun. She shoot's as well as the GI guns, and I don't worry as much about it getting dinged.
  9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

whats a bayonet lug have to do with wanting an original model vs a reproduction? they didnt originally come with the lug, and it actually hurts the value to have a lug on one.
    if your going to abuse the gun, a repro is a good idea. now, if you plan on taking care of it an original is a better investment. i sure wouldnt trade my rockola for 3 knckoffs!
  10. Orlando

Orlando G&G Enthusiast

There are individuals selling carbines on the CMP forum often, prices will range from $650 up to over $1000 depending on collectability
  11. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I have plainfield and am picking up a saginaw tommorow for$575 .nice little carbines to have out on the ranch
  12. frenchy

frenchy G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

A Saginaw for $575 is the best price I've seen jimbo!
  13. oldjarhead

^^^ Yeah, it is!
  14. MJ11

MJ11 G&G Newbie

Cow Palce show had a few nice GI's but all were $900 to $1500. My S'G' won't list for less than $1K when I sell.
  15. 728shooter

728shooter G&G Newbie

Went to a local gun show this past weekend, looking to sell my Inland as I'm trying to "thin the herd" a bit. Early production, low s/n with a 10-42 barrel, type II band, XLNT bore, very good condition. I was asking $700 for it (would have taken a $650 offer), which I thought was a very fair price in today's market, but no takers. However, had a dealer look it over very carefully and tell me with a straight face that these were only worth around $450! Had to bite my tongue by not asking him what rock he had been living under the last 6-10 months!
    Obviously, if I had sold it to him for that amount, it would be on his table for $800+ as soon as I walked away! That's why I avoid dealers at gun shows, as they prey on the uneducated and want to buy everything for 60-80% below fair mkt. value.

--728shooter
  16. MoDoc

MoDoc G&G Regular

Loved it..

My older brother bought an IBM carbine w/ folding stock at a pawnshop in around 1978 for $150 that I absolutely loved, and gentle soul that he was/is, he let young me use it constantly under very harsh conditions [open tractor deck - mucho dust], all I had to do was keep it fed. It was much abused, but pretty accurate & extremely handy. That $150 in '78 dollars is probably more than the equivalent of $750 in '14 dollars, so the cost of these little gems seems pretty reasonable to me.
  17. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Enthusiast

I've thinned my herd quite a bit. I have only a few very rare carbines left and every one of them would sell for at least $1500. If I ever sell them, they will go through a reputable auction house with wide advertising. Each of them is under 10,000 in production numbers and a couple are under 5,000 produced. I would never consider walking them at anything but a collector show. I took one to a large show a year ago, just for the heck of it and some guy started telling me all that was incorrect. This was a 100% original rifle and a lineout at that! He told me it was worth $450 tops. I sold it to another collector later that day for $2500! And he didn't quibble at all on the price! If I'm the dealer, your stuff is junk, but mine is pure gold!
  18. oldjarhead

Has anyone noticed the date of the OP's entry?
    And that the OP has not been back since the op?
    Another one-hit wonder.
  19. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member Founder

A bit off subject but the Original poster was active in Dec 2013...so less than 3 months ago....but the topic is still very relevant as I love M1 carbines, but never shot one. My hope is to get a shooter, and enjoy it while I have it.

Good to hear the prices for the collectable ones are still going up in price, and the prices are holding steady especially from the gun rush of previous years.
  20. Jay

Jay Old man, no tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

My only suggestion would be to be sure and check the headspace carefully, on any used Carbine. Most ANY Carbine bolt will fit, but not all bolts will headspace correctly.